Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering that seats are built to recline, it seems that the more logical solution would be for people who don't want to be behind a reclining seat to choose a row that is behind one that doesn't recline. A little common sense, people. Considering that there is a whole plane that wants to recline and a few whiners who refuse to take responsibility for themselves who have a problem with it, it seems that the majority will win this one.
One might more accurately say that there's a whole plane full of people who want intact kneecaps and a minority who refuse to take responsibility for their incursion into other's space, I think logic is on the side of the default, upright, position. If you want to recline, pay for business class and you can recline your way to a flat bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
One might more accurately say that there's a whole plane full of people who want intact kneecaps and a minority who refuse to take responsibility for their incursion into other's space, I think logic is on the side of the default, upright, position. If you want to recline, pay for business class and you can recline your way to a flat bed.
The vast majority don't have irrational fears of the person in front of them reclining.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Should be allowed and being able are two different things.

Many in my family are tall... it is often a lock... knees are against the seat ahead... no buts about it.

I agree... the person that must recline needs to book business...
If you are so tall that you can't fit in coach when the seats recline, you need to book business. I have long legs and a reclined seat will hit my knees. I'm smart enough to know this and book business class. I do this so I don't impact another paid passenger's experience. Anyone who thinks they can prevent another person from reclining has entitlement issues.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have all that money annerk has to buy 1st class seats with the room to recline. Obviously she hasn't flown in coach where 98% of all the seating is the same tight space.
Just because you aren't productive enough to afford the space you need in a flight doesn't mean that you have the right to impact another paid passenger's travel experience. That's just absurd.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Sure... for an additional fee (unless you have status, are flying first, or it's an international flight. Generally you get a free checked bag with those conditions.)

Plus, if you're transporting anything of value (or anything fragile), it's better to put it in a carry-on than in checked baggage - i.e., camera equipment, jewelry. Not to mention, sometimes people travel for business while carrying sensitive paperwork that needs to be under their control at all times.

It really sucks when you've got one small carry-on with a high value item or something similar, and the flight attendants try to make you gate-check it because there's no overhead bin space left because half the passengers carried on a rollaboard.
Right. That's my point. You can check bags if you have more than what fits in the overhead storage.

If you're carrying expensive items, I've found plenty of storage in business and first class. There's plenty of options to accommodate your needs.

Also, airlines have options to allow you to board first so you won't run out of overhead space.

Happy traveling!

Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why should someone pay extra for getting what they should get as normal...leg room? I hope I'm on a flight with you sometime, it'd be super fun.
You get the legroom you pay for. There are other options if you need more. It seems silly to complain that the size small shirt doesn't fit you when you need a large.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I made it almost halfway through the thread. These quotes nail it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You get the legroom you pay for. There are other options if you need more. It seems silly to complain that the size small shirt doesn't fit you when you need a large.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Seat pitch -- the space between the seats row to row -- has decreased. The airlines have to make their money. And passengers demand low prices.
I don't stop anyone from reclining. I don't recline on short-haul flights.

I try not to recline at all unless the person in front of me does, usually I recline a bit on overseas flights.

The airlines are basically selling space twice. Once to me, and then again to the reclining passenger in front of me.

Along with the various extra charges (baggage, seat selection etc) it's about squeezing more seats on planes. People are becoming more testy because they are feeling the pinch.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I would never recline my seat.
It is a dick move.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
We need more people like this in the world. What goes around comes around.
No we don't.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:56 PM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
I was on a flight recently on SWA and there was a large passenger in front of me. When he sat down, due to his weight, his seat came back like he had reclined a little bit. When he did finally recline, he seriously was back farther than an average sized person would go back. I'm 6'2" and that's the only time I've ever had a problem with the person in front of me reclining. He was nice though. I asked him if he could put it up a little and he agreed.

I usually fly Delta and even when I've been unable to get seats with extra legroom, I still don't have problems with the people in front of me reclining. Now, if I have my bag under the seat instead of in the overhead, then I will have a problem getting things out of my bag if the person in front of me is reclined, but if I'm just sitting there looking out the window or if I already have my book out, then it's not a problem at all.

Too many people won't even try to compromise. As long as seats recline, then people have the right to use the recline. The 2 passengers needs to reach some type of compromise. If it's a short flight, say 2-3 hours, then you can maybe get away with the person not reclining at all, but you don't know what type of body the person in front of you has. For me, I can go a 4 hour flight and not recline at all, but any longer than that and I have to recline a little bit. If the seat next to me is empty and I can turn sideways a bit and stretch my legs out in what would be that seat's space, then I can go longer, but I rarely get lucky enough for that. I can say one thing though. I will recline slowly after looking back and maybe even asking the person behind me if it's ok. If they intentionally prevent me from reclining even a little bit, then I guarantee I'm slamming my seat back all the way as hard as I possibly can and I don't care how they feel about it. I won't prevent somebody in front of me from reclining and won't be childish about it if they do, but you prevent me from reclining and it's on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel