U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,281,823 times

Advertisements

I have been using Ricardo of Beverly Hills since the early 90s. Bought it at Costco and Ricardo has replaced it three times due to airline damage under warranty. I dont know how they compare to other mfg warranties though. Construction quality seem to be about the same as everything else brand name i have looked at.

I have a couple of plastic connectors in my newest bag (purchased last year for my daughter) for which Ricardo has not responded to my email, but every other inquiry has been promptly worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:02 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I will add my vote to ReddOxx. I use their Air Boss as a carry one. This bag doesn't have a frame or wheels. You would be amazed at how much space a weight is saved as a result.

ReddOxx has has put a great deal of thought into how their bags are arranged and constructed.

I went to Turkey for two weeks with nothing more than my ReddOxx and a small backpack.
No wheels = No go. We're Long past the stage and age where carrying bags is acceptable.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No wheels = No go. We're Long past the stage and age where carrying bags is acceptable.
I'm at the point where not having 360 degree wheels is a deal breaker for me

Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
I won't buy luggage with spinners, they snap off way too easily. My bag has recessed roller blade wheels. Very sturdy and work well even on cobblestones. Yes, I lose an inch or two per side in the bag, but I'd rather do that then try to figure out how to move a spinner missing a set of wheels.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,834,325 times
I won't buy anything without spinners anymore. When they first came out, they snapped a lot, but they're very strong now, and I've never had a problem. I travel 2-3 times a month, checking my bag maybe 40% of the time, and the wheels are still in great shape.

(Samsonite Silhouette, btw. It's one of the older models -- I've had it for a few years -- but it's in great condition, other that being pretty dirty)

Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,501,881 times
Quote:
Yes. Go to Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and buy something that works for you. Forget about the warranty. Have you EVER tried to actually collect on one of those? Ain't gonna happen (and I say that after having owned a Hartman suitcase.) Search out those shorts and you'll likely find good quality luggage at very reasonable prices. You may not find a matching set, but who cares?

Second alternative: Go to Costco and get a set from them. NOW you got a good set of luggage AND a warranty that you can collect on. From Costco.
I recently saw a bunch of higher end suitcases at Marshalls - Tumi, Hartmann, etc...

That said, I've never regretted any of the kirkland suitcases we've bought from Costco...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:33 AM

174 posts, read 111,721 times
Just bought a Red Oxx Air Boss based on this discussion. Spending that much sight-unseen makes me a bit nervous, but I like the no-wheels no-rails theory. I use a well-designed messenger type bag for work, and love the fact my hands are free to do anything (and that it's not a backpack, which I seem to have an aversion to for some reason).

I looked at luggage at a few stores first, inc. Marshall's, Target, and Costco. Liked some of the Swiss Gear at Target. One thing with the spinners though - they all seemed to add well over 1" to the overall dimensions, and more like 2 to 2.5" for a lot of them. That seems just too much with all the airlines tightening up on carry-on dimensions.

Also hoping this bag will be more versatile than a traditional wheeled carry-on, since I do take plenty of road trips.

We shall see. Anyway, good discussion - thanks.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM

37,989 posts, read 55,756,232 times
Since we get all those size-weight restrictions, I would consider the lightest luggage I could get. On 4 spinners for easy rolling. Saw them in Tuesday Morning for $79
No reason to buy expensive. They get too abused.
Or here:
Amazon.com: Aerolite Super Lightweight Luggage Trolley Suitcases, 4 Wheel Spinners & 2 Wheel Upright Carry On Travel Bags, Medium, Large & Luggage Sets in 21: Clothing
Lightweight Luggage : Luggage Sets - Walmart.com
Lightweight Luggage - Overstock Shop And Save Before You Travel
https://www.luggageonline.com/luggag...weight-luggage
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,484,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Anyone have any recommendations? Or want to warn me off any specific brands?
I've used many TravelPro models and a few Tumi. I wouldn't pay the extra price for Tumi and don't like how their rollaboards open (kinda 50/50 style). I prefer Travelpro style which has a big bottom with a lid.

Regarding warranty, forget it. Just consider these as throwaways or do some repairs on your own. They get tossed around so much on flights that even expensive brands can't survive very long. I have replaced wheels and there is a huge difference between wheels that have bearings and those that don't. The most likely bag failure based on my experience is the retractable handles. They can be easily replaced too.

Bottom line; I buy TravelPro and throw them away after about 10 trips.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,484,701 times
Quote:
This is true, and I only buy bags with two wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel