Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times

Advertisements

We're heading to Florida on Wednesday, and this will be the first trip on a plane since the carry-on regulations changed.

For some reason, I cannot find a list of items that would tell me if I may take my iPod on the plane or not. I did find that they are allowing the small bottles in zip-loc bags, also cell phones.

Anyone know if I can pass the time on the plane with my iPod, or should I leave that at home?
While we're on the subject, how about my plastic knitting needles so I can work on my scarf project?
If I can't bring those, I better bring a bunch of $5's - those beverages will help pass the time. (I'm really just kidding!)
THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I hope you have an aisle seat if you drink that many beverages.

I'd probably call the airline directly and ask them what their policy is. That will give you more specific information. We barely made it home before this last wave went thru that banned everything. I could only imagine. A 3 hour flight not to mention the wait to check in your luggage and the wait just sitting in the terminal since you have to be there so dadgum early now all while traveling w/ kids. That is almost 5 hours. YIKES!!! Both of my kids had their personal dvd players, one has an ipod shuffle the other a little mp3 player. I have my suduko and lots of pencils. But I think they banned pencils. jk I'd hate to have to take my purse thru security now. I really need to clean it out.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,400 times
I have flown since the new regulations. Yes you can take your ipod. I had mine with no problems. International is different but that doesn't apply to you.
If they see a bottle of lotion,etc. in a carry on bag they will search the bag. It is not as strict as the first day of the changes. I was flying that 1st day and even had to put chapstick in checked luggage. I would call about the knitting needles.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
There was never a restriction on Ipods or small electronic devices on domestic air travel, can you imagine the amount of travelers that would be in an uproar without cell phones?

There is usually a restriction on using electronics during landing or taking off, they will explain that on board. Not a big deal, just keep it off for those 10 minutes.

Knitting needles, trying to remember. You may want to check with the airlines on that.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:48 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Thank you!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 AM

12 posts, read 45,539 times
As far as i know, i think Knitting needles are banned because they could be seen to be used like an offensive weapon. I know you wouldn't do that, but they have to be prepared for every eventuality. Such as now having plastic knives and forks. You can pack your knitting equipment in your suticase, but just can't have it as carry on. Ipods are definitely allowed.

Have a good trip!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:26 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
You can definatley take iPods. YOu just can't use them until you climb through 10,000 ft. The pilot or flight attendent will make an announcement when you can start using them.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
You can also use them on international travel, as my daughter brought hers along on her trip back from South America recently. As a teenager, she MUST have her music with her at all times!!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
DS14 just left for China about 10 minutes ago with his Ipod and Gameboy. They are allowed. You can check the National Transportation Safety Board website for a list of things you can and cannot bring onboard. One thing my DH said about the new regulations is that it make boarding and deplaining a LOT faster because you can't bring your luggage onboard any longer .

Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 PM

239 posts, read 877,539 times
I know u asked about iPods, but another useful piece of advice: if you are carrying on any liquids or gels (anything, even lipglosses or chapstick), they have to be in 3 oz. or less containers, and they need to all fit into 1 sandwich-sized ziplock-type baggie (1 per person only).

If not, you will hold up the line while they search, an they will throw away anything over 3 ounces.

If you have the stuff checked, dont worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel