U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're apparently not familiar with Alaska, a state over twice the size of Texas. Budget, Avis, etc don't have offices where I'm driving anyway. They only have two offices in the entire state: the airports in Anchorage and Fairbanks. The local company I'm renting from has a wider presence within the state.
Hmmm... Hertz has seven locations around the state Avis has 10. Budget seems to have the most with close to 25 different locations, including Kodiak. I'd like to know what company you are renting from who has more presence. Enlighten us--the info might be useful to some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 PM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Quote:
You're apparently not familiar with Alaska, a state over twice the size of Texas. Budget, Avis, etc don't have offices where I'm driving anyway. They only have two offices in the entire state: the airports in Anchorage and Fairbanks. The local company I'm renting from has a wider presence within the state.

Off topic - we rented a car at the Anchorage airport from one of the big companies, Hertz maybe. We got a flat tire about halfway through the Denali highway which for those that don't know is not really a highway, it's a 135 mile dirt and gravel road that is not only in the middle of nowhere in Alaska, but it starts in the middle of nowhere (between Anchorage and Fairbanks, near Denali Natl Park), and ends in the middle of no-where.

Somehow we made it back the 400 miles or so to Anchorage, 70 miles of which was on gravel where we passed one single car, on the little donut tire in order to change out the rental car. We had tents and some food in the car so no big deal.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Off topic - we rented a car at the Anchorage airport from one of the big companies, Hertz maybe. We got a flat tire about halfway through the Denali highway which for those that don't know is not really a highway, it's a 135 mile dirt and gravel road that is not only in the middle of nowhere in Alaska, but it starts in the middle of nowhere (between Anchorage and Fairbanks, near Denali Natl Park), and ends in the middle of no-where.

Somehow we made it back the 400 miles or so to Anchorage, 70 miles of which was on gravel where we passed one single car, on the little donut tire in order to change out the rental car. We had tents and some food in the car so no big deal.
You do know that your rental contract specifically stated you weren't allowed to drive the car on unpaved roads, right? You might want to read the fine print next time.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You do know that your rental contract specifically stated you weren't allowed to drive the car on unpaved roads, right? You might want to read the fine print next time.
I knew it and was prepared for the consequences - hence the camping gear and other alternatives. We had hiking gear, we had cooking gear (we were backpacking in Denali). It was a well calculated risk.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM

989 posts, read 1,504,444 times
Scooby,

As generally mentioned, most companies start with a base fee (which is sometimes referred to as the T&M you asked - time and mileage, though I think companies have moved away from the idea of time and mileage since many companies are now unlimited miles - might be different in AK) but usually always give you the total estimated amount.

As far as the extra charges, some are optional and some are not. The car rental company doesn't really get a choice on the taxes and fees like "airport concession fee". The airport mandates it as part of the company having a desk in the airport. That sucks, but it's not something avoidable at the airport and doesn't go to the rental company. The only way to avoid some of that is rent from an office off the airport property (which means a taxi ride or similar to get to the office, but can be a substantial savings).

Other charges are optional. LDW and other forms of insurance are optional and you should see if you already have coverage. As mentioned, many credit cards offer it complimentary for using their card (you have to use that card to pay the bill, however). Also check with your own auto insurance - many times it's included on any car you drive, not just the car you own. In fact, some state laws require your auto insurance to cover you for any car you drive meaning it's not required for you to buy insurance from the rental company.

In the end, if you don't have other coverage you still don't have to buy their insurance. However, you pay for any damage out of your pocket in that case (meaning if you total the car you're buying Rental Company a new car)

Lately, I've seen the companies also pushing gas purchasing options. These are all optional too and I usually decline them. I just agree to get a full tank at pick up and bring back a full tank. Just don't forget to bring back a full tank or pay something like $10/gallon for the convenience of them to fill it up. I'd only take the prepaid option if I KNEW I was returning the tank on empty.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,510,393 times
Quote:
Hmmm... Hertz has seven locations around the state Avis has 10. Budget seems to have the most with close to 25 different locations, including Kodiak. I'd like to know what company you are renting from who has more presence. Enlighten us--the info might be useful to some.
Goody. I was specifically looking at Enterprise, with a grand total of 2, and Alamo, with a whole 0. Besides, does being a megacorporation automatically make it OK for renters to be fee'd to death? I don't think so. I'd rather offer my monies to local business who appreciate it more.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 PM

6,161 posts, read 6,331,463 times
Be sure to do some research on local car rental companies in Alaska. They tend to rent older cars. Alaska is very rough on cars. I once rented from one in Fairbanks. Ended up with a car 7 years old with over 100,000 miles on it. It was a very tired car.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,486,962 times
Quote:
You might want to not jump to conclusions next time. Right?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,486,962 times
Quote:
By the way--the OP talked about renting from a "local company." Yup, that's going to do you a lot of good when you break down 400 miles away and they have no local presence who can put you into a new car. I always stick with the majors--Budget/Avis, Hertz/Alamo, etc.
You do realize how large Alaska is, right? You could rent with almost any rental company and still have the possibility of being in that predicament. In fact, most are located in a handful of locations. But please dispense more of your "knowledge" only someone who has amassed... 23,000... ? ... ???.. ?!?!... posts... is privy... to.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Goody. I was specifically looking at Enterprise, with a grand total of 2, and Alamo, with a whole 0. Besides, does being a megacorporation automatically make it OK for renters to be fee'd to death? I don't think so. I'd rather offer my monies to local business who appreciate it more.
So you looked at two national agencies and decided they represented all of them.

You still haven't mentioned this "local agency" that has locations all over Alaska. Please do tell us who this mystery service is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or