U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:51 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
You might want to not jump to conclusions next time. Right?
Since when is asking a question concluding anything? Just the opposite, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
You do realize how large Alaska is, right? You could rent with almost any rental company and still have the possibility of being in that predicament. In fact, most are located in a handful of locations. But please dispense more of your "knowledge" only someone who has amassed... 23,000... ? ... ???.. ?!?!... posts... is privy... to.
Well duh, yes I know how large Alaska is. Although a good portion of it is unpaved, and rental car contracts forbid driving them on unpaved roads. So if you look at where the roads can be driven on with a rental car, using one of the better represented agencies will generally have a location within a couple hours away, as opposed to "you're on your own, because it will take us a full day to get to you."

Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,506,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
LDW and other forms of insurance are optional and you should see if you already have coverage. As mentioned, many credit cards offer it complimentary for using their card (you have to use that card to pay the bill, however). Also check with your own auto insurance - many times it's included on any car you drive, not just the car you own.
This.

I had a fender bender in a rental in Hawaii a few years ago. I did not purchase any supplementary insurance from the rental agency. My regular insurer covered everything. In fact while talking to my agent about the incident she specifically told me, "Never take CDW or other supplementary insurance from a rental car company. You are already covered on your policy with us."

So absolutely check with your auto insurance folks as you may already be covered.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,391,907 times
I just booked a rental car online with Hertz (thru AAA) for a upcoming trip to Florida in December. I had the choice of pay in now or pay it later. I am going to rent a Mid Size car for 9 days. the Pay now base rate for 9 days is $221 and the pay later (at counter) would have been over $300 base. It Clearly states that Taxes & Fees are due at pick up. In my case that's around $75. They will try to sell you extra insurance, gpd, toll passes, etc.... Those are all optional.

Check your auto insurance to see if your covered on the rental car. The Optional insurance can be helpfull. My Aunt was on a trip to Scottsdale, AZ and rented a car through Enterprise. Someone had hit the car during the night and since she had the extra insurance everything was handled without get he own insurance company involved.

Sometimes companies are trying to pull one over on us, sometime we just fail to read the fine print

Old 08-30-2014, 05:25 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,118,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
In fact while talking to my agent about the incident she specifically told me, "Never take CDW or other supplementary insurance from a rental car company. You are already covered on your policy with us."
Though if you're renting in a foreign country, verify any coverage beforehand. My auto insurance only covers cars rented and driven in the USA, and even if your policy covers most foreign rentals, there are probably some countries like Ireland that are specifically excluded.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,647,059 times
Alaska has always been very expensive for rental cars. Add to that they will also give you a list of roads you aren't allowed to travel, plus gravel parking lots .... they really are very fussy.

Expect to pay at least $100 for something like a Fiesta/focus

Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though if you're renting in a foreign country, verify any coverage beforehand. My auto insurance only covers cars rented and driven in the USA, and even if your policy covers most foreign rentals, there are probably some countries like Ireland that are specifically excluded.
This.

My AmEx covers CDW in most countries, although Ireland is excluded among some others. My personal auto policy doesn't cover anything outside of the US and Canada whether it's my car or a rental. If you buy travel insurance you can usually add collision and property damage for a rental car. Keep in mind that if you are going to be gone for two weeks but only renting a car for a day, it's usually cheaper to just take the insurance at teh counter rather than on your travel insurance for the full two weeks.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,486,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Since when is asking a question concluding anything? Just the opposite, actually.
Quote:
You do know that your rental contract specifically stated you weren't allowed to drive the car on unpaved roads, right?

You might want to read the fine print next time.
"Asking" a snarky rhetorical question with the presumption of an answer is concluding something, yes. That's how rhetorical questions work.

Suggesting one reads the fine print implies they have not already done so. Why would you suggest they read the fine print if they already knew the answer to your question and had already read the fine print?

That's right, you wouldn't.

You know what you meant. I know what you meant. No need to play ignorant to backtrack on your failed attempt to make them look bad.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
"Asking" a snarky rhetorical question with the presumption of an answer is concluding something, yes. That's how rhetorical questions work.

Suggesting one reads the fine print implies they have not already done so. Why would you suggest they read the fine print if they already knew the answer to your question and had already read the fine print?

That's right, you wouldn't.

You know what you meant. I know what you meant. No need to play ignorant to backtrack on your failed attempt to make them look bad.
Stop trying to read between the lines.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:53 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,486,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Stop trying to read between the lines.
Rhetorical questions aren't "between the lines". They are on the line. Again, that's how they work. They are obvious devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or