U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:17 PM

37,973 posts, read 55,724,604 times

Advertisements

My recommendation is whatever you buy, buy the lightest you can find, because since your luggage weight has been limited - you have to pay for every pound that excess the limit.
As for finish? I used to have very durable, excellent brand bags, but now I don't care about it anymore - they get abused by the luggage handlers, and the convey belts a lot, so I would not buy anything really expensive AND expensive luggage might be prone to theft.
So, when I look for luggage, I want it very light and on wheels, nothing else matters.
Be aware that some airlines changed the maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag to 9" x 14" x 22" (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm) or total overall dimensions no more than 45", including handles and wheels. (3/2/14)
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:42 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ah, so three times a year is a frequent traveler. Got it.

You don't even recall what you said in some of these threads. You directly commented, not long ago, that people that don't regularly get upgrades aren't, by definition, frequent travelers. And you're a frequent traveler, so you regularly get upgrades due to your "status". Do you not see the flaws in this line of thinking?

Of course, you thought 20k a year on a CC was perfectly normal too. And that companies almost always allow for brand loyalty and flexibility in scheduling of travel (helped by your nanny).

Shall I pull quotes to show you're twisted world view? There are many to choose from.

Oh, and I've stayed in some very nice places (to me, my taste must be off) that were <$30.
Stop twisting my words. In my opinion if you travel enough to earn status with a hotel chain or airline, you are a frequent traveler.

Maybe in your world $20K isn't a lot, but for anyone who does a lot of business travel, it's pennies.

Every company I've ever worked for has been sensitive to brand loyalty when possible. Even I will stray from my usual brands now and then for any number of reasons.

Tell me, which places you thought were very nice for $30 a night?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:57 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Stop twisting my words. In my opinion if you travel enough to earn status with a hotel chain or airline, you are a frequent traveler.

Maybe in your world $20K isn't a lot, but for anyone who does a lot of business travel, it's pennies.

Every company I've ever worked for has been sensitive to brand loyalty when possible. Even I will stray from my usual brands now and then for any number of reasons.

Tell me, which places you thought were very nice for $30 a night?
Oh, I can provide your quotes. No twisting necessary. But under your definition, if there isn't status earned, they aren't a frequent traveler. Thanks for proving my statement, that your situation creates the standard and creates your definition, and you impose it on others. EXACTLY my point.

And these things show your reality isn't the same as the reality of most people in this country.

And $20k is a ton, but let me guess, you are able to use a personal credit card and amass points, for business travel, and be reimbursed, correct? And you probably think that is the norm and normal, correct? Because that has been your experience, it is normal.

The fact that you had a nanny tells a lot. Not the real world.

And I stayed in several places in Cambodia (PP, Kampot, etc), Belize (San Ignacio, several others), Peru (Iquitos), etc for less than $30 that I thought were very very nice. I don't have the names off the top of my head.

Last edited by timberline742; 09-08-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 01:06 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Annerk, why is it that nearly every time you post, no matter the topic, it turns into a pissing contest?

And I also wonder how a self proclaimed hard working, super successful, road warrior professional has the time to post so much on CD. (Me? I'm retired, since I was 52.)
JRepped.

Quote:
That is yours, not everyones. And just because they aren't similar to yours, doesn't mean they're not of quality.

This seems to be a constant with you. If they're not doing it your way, it is inferior. If people aren't traveling as much as you, they aren't a frequent traveler. If they don't have your style, they're poor or on welfare. If they don't have your taste, they have bad taste or no taste. If they don't spend as much as you on a hotel room, they're staying in a dump and should probably not even be traveling. Same ole, same ole.
Tried to rep, have to spread the love around. Thanks both of you for speaking the truth, straight up!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not what you said earlier.
Prove it. You can go back through this thread and see that I haven't edited any of my messages.

It is quite clear that you are a very, very unhappy person. Hope that turns around for you someday.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM

37,973 posts, read 55,724,604 times
OK, STOP that bickering and off topic posts. The topic of this thread is: Favourite luggage brands.
Thank you!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:06 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My recommendation is whatever you buy, buy the lightest you can find, because since your luggage weight has been limited - you have to pay for every pound that excess the limit.
I'd disagree here for checked baggage. I can cram every inch full of my 29' Pacsafe soft-sided wheelie (ie. a fairly big suitcase) and still have it come in ten pounds lighter than the typical weight limit for a standard checked bags. 20 kilograms/45 pounds is a lot of clothes unless you're talking specialty product. If you're worried about how much your bag packed weights, you can buy a cheap luggage scale at any Target/Walmart or use the big scale at your local grocery store.

The stuff advertised as lightweight,especially at lower price points, is often quite flimsy and not going to last. I've seem bags advertised as 'lightest on the market' in TJ Maxx, and they've got all the substance of a hefty bag with a frame made of pop cans.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, I can provide your quotes. No twisting necessary. But under your definition, if there isn't status earned, they aren't a frequent traveler. Thanks for proving my statement, that your situation creates the standard and creates your definition, and you impose it on others. EXACTLY my point.

And these things show your reality isn't the same as the reality of most people in this country.

And $20k is a ton, but let me guess, you are able to use a personal credit card and amass points, for business travel, and be reimbursed, correct? And you probably think that is the norm and normal, correct? Because that has been your experience, it is normal.

The fact that you had a nanny tells a lot. Not the real world.

And I stayed in several places in Cambodia (PP, Kampot, etc), Belize (San Ignacio, several others), Peru (Iquitos), etc for less than $30 that I thought were very very nice. I don't have the names off the top of my head.
I'm talking about hotels in that price range in the US, not third world and emerging countries. Huge difference.

I had a nanny because I had to! The other option was not working. It doesn't mean I was wealthy. My nanny was a college student who got room and board in exchange for getting our child off to day care and picking him up in the evening due to our schedules. It was beneficial for her and for us. She cost us some food and electric. Probably worked out to $150 a month. Yup, I was living high on the hog.

The last company that issued me a company card was in 1991. Since then every company I've worked for requires employees to pay expenses out of pocket and submit for reimbursement. I can tell you for a fact that this is how it is done at most of the major I/T companies.

Some companies still take care of airfare through corporate travel, but very few provide a company card these days. When I worked at a large corporation in the early 2000's, we had to apply for an AmEx for all expenses, and we kept all the reward points. Originally it was Diners Club, but so few places took it that they switched.

It's commonly accepted that unless you work for the government, all rewards earned through travel are yours to keep. With the exception of the government, the airlines and hotels say FF miles/points belong to the person who flew/slept, not the company.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Prove it. You can go back through this thread and see that I haven't edited any of my messages.

It is quite clear that you are a very, very unhappy person. Hope that turns around for you someday.
You said your bag weighs four pounds empty. Now you are backtracking.

I'm very happy, but I don't suffer fools.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times
I'm not happy with the rolling luggage solution in the first place. My mother-in-law travels this way. And I'm usually taking care of her luggage for her on the occasions that we travel together. The only time the rollies are useful is in the airport. Once outside, in the world of cobblestone streets, curbs, potholes, water and early escalator technology (the Paris metro for instance), rollies are essentially useless.

And while I'm not going to suggest that mom hoists a pack onto her back, her way of traveling is actually more difficult than my way.

But I absolutely agree about "lightweight" bags that are cheap. Cheap is the operative word. You get what you pay for. The Osprey bag I mentioned earlier is good for 50 pounds. More, really, but Osprey doesn't recommend it because loads that heavy cannot be jostled around. They cost a couple hundred, which isn't chump change for luggage. But it's the kind of purchase that will last for a very long time. My wife's Osprey has been with her for many years and many thousands of miles.

I haven't found a luggage solution thus far which beats a good backpack. Backpacks carry a "low-rent" stigma for some reason -- kids and hostels and the like, I guess. Doesn't matter to me though. They worked great when I was a kid and stayed in hostels. They work great now. When I reach a state of decrepitude that they don't work for me anymore, I'll just travel domestically.

Here's a link: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...specifications
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or