Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,277,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Hey Mikey:

I use British all the time. My family moved from California to Italy and we always get two 32Kg bags each person. Believe me, we hauled over bicycles and desktop computers. Perhaps the one bag limit was on domestic flights?
I have two co-workers who fly BA from London to Houston all the time, and they constantly ***** about only being allowed one bag, but you're probably right, it may be for the "domestic" (being within Europe) leg of their flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,227,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I have two co-workers who fly BA from London to Houston all the time, and they constantly ***** about only being allowed one bag, but you're probably right, it may be for the "domestic" (being within Europe) leg of their flight.
Perhaps they are talking about one carry on bag.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 AM

48,099 posts, read 21,985,223 times
I can't help but wonder does her love of comfort also mean that you stay in very expensive hotels as well. Can you work out a budget where you make up some of the flight expense by economizing on meals, or shopping or hotels?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,430,028 times
I've flown with several Airlines in the past....Lufthansa, AA, USAir, Condor...and the now defunct PanAm.

Years ago, service was the greatest with PanAm and Lufthansa....but, PanAm defunct, and Lufthansa's service was slipping.

I am not a fan of AA or USAir, and think, service and room on the airplanes have always been lacking some.

I am getting ready for my trip to Germany in March....and going with Condor again.
Cheap prices...and we have a voucher we are using before expiration date.
My intentions are to sleep and eat (food is decent with Condor)
Condor - Born to fly.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:16 PM

59 posts, read 377,589 times
I used to live in Rome and would fly alot with Luftansa, connecting in either Frankfurt or Munich. I was always happy with the service and SECURITY. I went even alone with a 2 month old and they were very helpful and attentive. I also would fly Delta (code shares with Air France) as they were great on the long haul fly and helpful with a baby.

Regarding number of bags...worry about the weight! They may say 2 bags, but the weight is the issue. With high fuel prices the heavy the plane, the more fuel....less profit for the airline. Worry about the max SIZE and WEIGHT allowed.

ditto on the keeping the mrs. happy...my hubby learned the hard way (center seat in coach to New Zealand!).

ditto on Seat Guru...used it for a trip to Hawaii and I use it now all the time as we travel quite a bit every month. Excellent tool. Look for bulkhead if it is not too late.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,001,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
My intentions are to sleep and eat (food is decent with Condor)
Condor - Born to fly.
I'll second Condor. It was inexpensive and the food was okay.
Also, as diegosmom says, yes, it's the weight that counts.
I guess I am a weirdo, but I've never liked bulkhead seating, even when I had little kids.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:30 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,430,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I'll second Condor. It was inexpensive and the food was okay.
Also, as diegosmom says, yes, it's the weight that counts.
I guess I am a weirdo, but I've never liked bulkhead seating, even when I had little kids.
Condor really gives other airlines a run for the money with their prices.
My plan WAS to use Condor, again, and fly out of Orlando to Frankfurt in April.
But, the bad part was, that the flight schedule didn't suit me...and the days I would have had to chose, were to much "up in price".
So....this time, I went ahead and booked with Lufthansa (for pretty much the same price what it would have cost me with Condor), got my schedule, price and convenience.
It's the pits, when one can't be flexible with the dates.....huh....

But, here's something I found very interesting.....
My "flight legs" with stop over/ connection flight in Washington...is being done with a Lufthansa plane, but OPERATED by United Airlines?????
Did they "merge"?
Haven't heard anything of it....and this is the first time, that I noticed that.

Also, back to OP question....a lot of Italians I know here in the US fly into Frankfurt/ Germany, and catch a connection flight to Italy.
It's such a short distance...when the plane gains altitude, it has to get ready for landing again....LOL.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
I would fly British Airways...... I find the service better and you fly into Europe and then straight on to Italy. We live in Como, Italy and I fly between San Francisco and Milano with the only stop in London. The tickets might be a little more but, you'll make up for it in the time you save! Enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel