Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times

Advertisements

Do you include nightly fumigation to kill the creepy crawlers of all the dirty people staying at your hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 04:15 PM

371 posts, read 494,090 times
This is some sarcastic thing about how airlines treat their customers, right? I certainly hope so.

In any case, the answer is no way would I stay there. When I'm in a hotel, I don't necessarily need luxury. But I want a place where I can shower as long as I want, I can watch at least basic cable, I can plug in my phone without worrying about it, I don't have to worry about cleaning the place myself, etc.

I'd rather just pay the $50 a night to not have to worry about it. Sort of like how I'd rather just have $25 added on to the ticket for luggage rather than pay it separately.

Also, if everyone does the $4 option, how will you pay your front desk? Your housecleaners? Your electric bill? Maintenance? New beds and lamps and paint (because you will need them, eventually)? How do you monitor this? How do you provide security...because it don't matter how cheap it is, people aren't going there if they think they might be murdered, and you're going to be attracting JUST that kind of clientele. What about people who are looking to stay there for an extended period?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
This is not necessarily true. I always pick on price, because I know that I will need nothing more than the basics. I will sit for an hour, making phone calls, if need be, so that I can find a motel that charges me no more than a grand total of $60 per night. It's outrageous to pay even that much when all I intend to do in there is sleep, crap, pee, and shower. It's like paying $6 per hour to sleep. That's ridiculous. I can sleep in my car for $0 per hour, and shower/poop/pee at a truck stop for $3 - 13.
So if you are going to Disney World, you look for hotels in Richmond, Virginia?

No, you look at location first THEN you look at price.

BTW, no need to call hotels the internet is this great invention.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
$4 for the room, $40 for the hooker, $4 for the PBR... what a night.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I think you would a lot of broke kids staying there and treating the rooms like they're worth about $4.

There already are a lot of cheap, simple lodging options in Europe and elsewhere. They're called hostels.
Words out of my mouth!

OP, your proposal would not fly for me. I won't stay where I don't have a private bath/shower, and I don't want to clean on my vacation. Also, I have no desire to stay somewhere where most of the people there are broke, dirty, and stink.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think the skepticism here is because of jealousy of not coming up with this idea.

Things can be made secure so they are hard or virtually impossible to break.
LOL!!!!

You must be kidding.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I've stayed in Microtels that were $47. Small, barebones room, but clean and adequate for a shower and sleeping. That chain was bought by another recently, so it might have changed but when I used them I found them adequate for my travel needs.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So if you are going to Disney World, you look for hotels in Richmond, Virginia?

No, you look at location first THEN you look at price.

BTW, no need to call hotels the internet is this great invention.
It depends upon where I am, where I'm intending to go, and how many miles separate the two. Usually when I'm looking for a room, my wife and I are on the road, touring, and the only reason why we look for a room is because we want a good night's sleep and a good shower, rather than sleeping in the car or at campsites in a tent. Sometimes you just can't find a truck stop, and sometimes the weather won't cooperate for camping. So I call all around. If we're out for a week, I'll usually get a room once in the middle of the week. As for the internet, that assumes that I have access. I don't always. Even if I do, every website out there seems to have a different price for hotels. I call to see what they are offering, and usually if they accept pets. My wife did the online room reservation thing once, when she was just my girlfriend, and it was a disaster. I was there to watch the situation unfold. Since then I have not trusted online hotel reservations. Besides, few of the cheap motels we choose do online reservations.

I have a feeling that if there were a super-cheap motel chain started up, even if it couldn't offer $4/night, its facilities would be located as conveniently as possible to where travelers want to stay. If it weren't, it wouldn't attract travelers - it would only attract dirtbags and people who would otherwise be homeless.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I like it. But rooms should be $44 not $4. Suites w a shower $144. Suites include everything that would be considered an "upgrade."

Some things should be free: parking and cleaning.

As others have said, take out some of the options so people don't feel "nickled and dimed" like i do when i fly Southwest or Spirit.

But your $4 room idea would make a GREAT crack-house and place to bring prostitutes IMHO!

How about just rent the room by the hour for $4?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 AM

61,706 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Hostels are very cheap, but they provide better comfort than described by OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel