U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 PM

3,913 posts, read 7,988,323 times

Advertisements

I am planning to take my future wife on our honeymoon in Europe. We have never been and have London-Paris-Rome as our top destinations. We only have 11-12 days max including flight durations. I have been researching various travel packages that include tour guides in the ballpark of $2000-3000 per person.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which companies to go with? There are hundreds of listings on Google, but they all appear to be the same trip. It looks like 9 nights in a hotel and only breakfast included most days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:53 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,991 times
Look up Go Ahead Tours. They have a London-Paris-Rome trip for roughly $2500 per person. But that includes airfare, hotel, breakfast and a few dinners. They have optional excursions, it's flexible in the sense that you can either have your hand held throughout the trip or you can do things on your own. They usually have the sightseeing tour in each city. I did a lot of homework on them when I booked a trip with them, their hotel choices seem to be solid and they generally have very good reviews. I know some people here frown upon tours, but it's your honeymoon and while planning your own trip would be fun, it takes a lot of the stress out of it when the majority of the trip has already been laid out for you.

Edit: The London/Paris/Rome trip is 11 days so it meets your criteria. They also do payment plans so if your honeymoon is next year, you can book now and make payments every month.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 AM

9,197 posts, read 9,275,870 times
Here's another site to try. www.europeandestinations.com These are bare bones trips that only include hotel, airfare, and sometimes transfers from the airport to your hotel. However, they are among the cheapest prices that I have found. You can also use the website to customize the exact trip that you want.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,430,396 times
That's a really easy trip to do without the extra costs of a package: Fly to London, take the Eurostar train to Paris, fly to Rome and fly home from there (or vice versa).

Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
That's a really easy trip to do without the extra costs of a package: Fly to London, take the Eurostar train to Paris, fly to Rome and fly home from there (or vice versa).
Judging by his name, he could be from Florida. So say he has to go to Miami to take a trip to London. I picked a date in mid-May, $930 per person. I picked a date in early March and it's $512 per person. Let's meet in the middle and do $600 per person.

Transportation:
Miami to London - $1200
Paris to Rome - $400 (approximate)
Train to Paris - $200 (approximate)

So about $1800 in transportation costs alone. This doesn't include hotel, and since it's their honeymoon, one would think he's not going to pick a hotel 30-40 minutes outside the city.

Hotels:

Let's go with $150 a night for 3 nights in London, Paris, and Rome. That's another $1350 in hotels. Could be cheaper, could be more expensive. I did a search for 3 star hotels in centrally located areas.

He's up to 3K w/out food. Let's go $50 per person per day for 11 days. That's about $1100 added onto the 3K.

He might save a few hundred bucks if he planned it on his own but with a package, your travel to and from and in between is taken care of which is a huge burden off his shoulders. It really depends on the person and since this is his first trip and a honeymoon, he probably doesn't want the added stress of having to plan everything. I know I wouldn't. And if the trip is a success, he has the added benefit of planning something later on life now that he has the experience of traveling there.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Using early May for sample dates, (summer season pricing seems to hit with after May 15 departures) and flying out of Ft. Lauderdale:

FLL-London- $1029
London-Paris- $87 for a one way ticket on Air France
Paris-Rome- $71 for a one way ticket on easyjet (just watch for checked bag fees there)

So $1187 for air transport- intra-Europe fares can be quite reasonable on routes with a lot of LCCs.

You can bring hotel costs down by doing London on the weekend and Paris mid-week. (I'm not sure about Rome.)

Old 09-04-2014, 04:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,430,396 times
Booking a series of one way tickets makes no sense financially, obviously. That's why you book an open jaw ticket, not a series of one way flights and take the Eurostar between London and Paris (which is under $100). It's much cheaper that way. I only recommend budget European airlines (like easyjet) if you have very little baggage--the baggage fees generally bring up the fare to that of a major airline.

I don't find trip planning stressful (the opposite, I enjoy planning what I will see and do and eat and explore), so I just wanted to point out a fairly easy option for this sort of trip. If one prefers to eat/see/do where told, that's another story. And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, either--I've spent a few days doing smaller guided tours (in the context of a larger trip) in both Southeast Asia and Africa, and I'm sure there are plenty of other travelers who would never abide that.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:46 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,682,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You can bring hotel costs down by doing London on the weekend and Paris mid-week. (I'm not sure about Rome.)
Never thought of it. Though judging by Google, hotels are currently most expensive on Saturdays and cheapest on Sundays in London, cheapest on weekends in Paris and prices are more or less equal in Rome:
https://www.google.fr/hotels/#search...=95c9bb41;av=r

But it might vary by season.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
When I was planning for May 2014, London weekends were pretty consistently cheaper as was Paris midweek. thing is to play around with sample dates because you can get 50+ euro variations in the same hotel based on date within the week

Note that if you do end up planning the trip yourself, you'll typically save about $100 if you go USA-London Heathrow (assorted internal European travel) then Rome-USA instead of saving London for last because the London airports charge moderate fees for transatlantic arrivals, but a pretty huge tax on transatlantic departures. (intra-Europe departure tax from London is pretty negligible)

Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 AM

8,133 posts, read 6,682,315 times
May is a special month here, with a lot of holidays. People tend to take weekend trips more than at any other time of the year. Maybe that's why it differs from September 2014 for Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or