U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:10 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times

Advertisements

At this point, call your local Congressman. They normally have a staffer or two responsible for helping constituents wrangle with the federal bureaucracy; usually it's Medicare and Social Security, but they probably get the odd help with Green Card for a spouse request that will put them in contact with that batch'o'feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:01 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Do Not Fly and passports are not interchangeable. You can be on a "Do Not Fly" list and still drive across a border to Canada or Mexico or take a cruise.

I think something he wrote was a red flag. There was obviously a disconnect between his application and his birth certificate/other documentation, or someone in the passport office made an error. The other possibility is that something on the birth certificate was problematic--it wasn't filed within a year of his birth, his parents names or places of birth weren't listed, etc.

My parents both applied for their first passports in their 60's and had no problem, age has no bearing on the application.

I agree that a call to your Congressman's office is in order. They are able to cut through the red tape.

By the way, there is no more information required for a passport since 9-11 than there ever was. You need the application, birth certificate, copy of front and back of DL, photos, check. The process has remained the same. It has become more difficult to get a passport for a child in recent years, but that has nothing to do with 9-11 and everything to do with international treaties on parental abductions.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM

56,013 posts, read 54,523,130 times
I'm an "old" person (56) applying for a passport for the first time. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

I just stood on line for half an hour at the post office. They had two people working when i first got there, then one got up and left, I guess for lunch. I waited for 25 minutes. The remaining person helped two people in that time, and I had another five ahead of me. THEN I saw the sign that said, "If your I.D. is from out of state, you will need a photocopy of an additional I.D., such as a credit card."

I live in NJ and work in New York, so I do have an out-of-state driver's license. GRRRRR. Just ranting. I thought it would be easier to just do it at lunchtime, because at my post office in NJ you have to make an appointment for a passport, and I'm in NYC during the hours they are open.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Try you local County Courthouse, Often the County Clerk is a Passport Agent also, and there are rarely if any line.

Four year ago (Last time I was in a post office), there was a line of 10/15 waiting. Interestingly I had just done my Son's Passport at the county clerks office on the way to the Post Office, No line, in/out in 10mins.

Mentioned it to the People in the line, No One moved. Guess they liked waiting in a slow line.

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Try you local County Courthouse, Often the County Clerk is a Passport Agent also, and there are rarely if any line.

Four year ago (Last time I was in a post office), there was a line of 10/15 waiting. Interestingly I had just done my Son's Passport at the county clerks office on the way to the Post Office, No line, in/out in 10mins.

Mentioned it to the People in the line, No One moved. Guess they liked waiting in a slow line.

Where to Apply for a Passport Nationwide
Interesting, thanks. But it still means I will have to take off from work, and in that case, I should just make an appointment at my local post office five minutes from home rather than drive the 20 - 25 minutes to the County seat. However, if that works out best, I might do it! Thanks for the tip.

I'll be off work next week, so I suppose I could wait, but I am planning to travel in November and I want to get this in time.

I used to work in a different part of the city, and when I would go to that post office, there was NEVER ANYONE on line at the passport desk. Now I'm back in the tourist-land of all tourist-lands: The World Trade Center, and the post office passport office is busy. I figured all those people milling around outside already HAVE passports, or else they wouldn't be here!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:25 AM

5,459 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

But, my real questions are: Why would the passport agency require all of this additional information? Is this common? Our daughter said that she has had several friends who recently applied for and received passports without needing to send in additional information. Could it be because it is unusual for a 62 year old to be applying for his initial passport? Any ideas???
My first thought is that the Passport people may have a thought that the person applying for the Passport is using it as a stolen identity. Extra security to protect the 62 year old. Sort of makes me feel good that they are doing that with all the stolen identity going around.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:54 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm an "old" person (56) applying for a passport for the first time. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

I just stood on line for half an hour at the post office. They had two people working when i first got there, then one got up and left, I guess for lunch. I waited for 25 minutes. The remaining person helped two people in that time, and I had another five ahead of me. THEN I saw the sign that said, "If your I.D. is from out of state, you will need a photocopy of an additional I.D., such as a credit card."

I live in NJ and work in New York, so I do have an out-of-state driver's license. GRRRRR. Just ranting. I thought it would be easier to just do it at lunchtime, because at my post office in NJ you have to make an appointment for a passport, and I'm in NYC during the hours they are open.
Also try the International Students office at a university. That's a trick used here in Austin.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Also try the International Students office at a university. That's a trick used here in Austin.
Ha, thanks, but I snuck out of my office yesterday morning to get online at the P.O. shortly after they opened at 10. Wasn't a good sneak-out: I'm standing there, and I hear my work cell ding and I look and there's my boss inviting me to a meeting in EIGHT MINUTES. I wrote back "I AM SECOND IN LINE AT THE PASSPORT DESK, CAN YOU PLEASE DELAY THIS MEETING?" She did. I had told her the day before about the long line at lunchtime. So, I got my application in.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
We just re-newed our passports and received them back 6 weeks later no questions asked. We sent in our old passports, filled out the renewal forms, sent a check and that was it.
OP as mentioned above you may have a common name identity problem. You may have had an ID fraud situation, you may have filed some legal papers like tax returns improperly, you may have relatives in a black listed country, you may have at one time traveled to a now current black listed country, an arrest record, the list goes on and on. So you need to contact the PP people directly and ask why.
Did you have someone fill out your application for you and send it in, that could cause a red flag if it wasn't correctly filled out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or