U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Okay I have never driven there. So what is your point? It is impossible to drive from San Diego to Los Angeles Airport? So you dont want to drive and dont want to change flights!!! Why travel then???
I think you are confusing me with the OP. I travel a lot--obviously much more than you.

My point is that it's a four hour plus drive due to traffic. Not to mention very expensive parking at LAX. Driving in southern CA and driving in western TX are like night and day.

I gave the OP advice for a single and very manageable connection. I'll repeat it.

Delta connecting in the VERY manageable SLC then straight to CDG.

If anyone else can come up with an itinerary that has a single easy connection, doesn't require hours of driving or a ridiculous and expensive transfer from an airport to a train station and additional 2.5 hour trip including clearing immigration a second time, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,516,386 times
Delta connection at Salt Lake City makes sense. They can do it at Minneapolis also.
Another option is there of British Airways flight from San Diego to London Heathrow Airport but then they can take a connecting flight to Paris CDG as well as Orly Airport instead of taking Channel train. Orly Airport in Paris is much closer to City Center as compared to CDG. It is much easier to conenct with Paris on Taxi from Orly Airport.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Delta connection at Salt Lake City makes sense. They can do it at Minneapolis also.
Another option is there of British Airways flight from San Diego to London Heathrow Airport but then they can take a connecting flight to Paris CDG as well as Orly Airport instead of taking Channel train. Orly Airport in Paris is much closer to City Center as compared to CDG. It is much easier to conenct with Paris on Taxi from Orly Airport.
MSP would be a good option as well, although I find it a bit busier and more hectic than SLC is.

I would not suggest LHR as a connecting airport, particularly for someone with mobility concerns. It's confusing and huge even if you don't need to transfer to a different terminal. Terminal 5 (which is most likely where OP's flight would arrive and depart is huge.

There's a reason that LHR suggests a minimum transfer time of one hour of flights arriving and departing from T5 (add an hour or more if there is a terminal transfer involved) and that is over an above the required security screening, even though they won't be leaving the sterile concourse. Due to mobility concerns, I would allow minimal three hours connection time at LHR. An hour connection time would be sufficient at SLC or MSP (although I would probably want 90 minutes at MSP), and there will be no additional security screening as there would be at LHR.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM

556 posts, read 760,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
ROFL! Have you ever driven from San Diego to LAX? Never mind, the answer is obvious.
I attended a conference in San Diego this summer. While I flew to SAN, many of my colleagues flew into LAX and drove. They seemed to handle it OK.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,516,386 times
I dont want to be rude but there is a simple question!!!!If driving to LAX from San Diego or changing flights is such a pain, how will they manage in Paris??? What are they expecting once they reach Paris CDG Airport? How will they go to all the Tourist destinations like Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum, Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, Champs-Elysees, Tuileries and all those places. There is going to be a car ride from CDG Airport to Hotel also!!!! There are security screenings, bag search before entering tourists spots also.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I attended a conference in San Diego this summer. While I flew to SAN, many of my colleagues flew into LAX and drove. They seemed to handle it OK.
It's the time it takes I was referring to. Not to mention driving around LAX is terrible any time of the day or night. It would be quicker and more convenient to make an easy connection at a smaller gateway airport in the US (MSP and SLC are both good choices) than to drive to LAX and fly from there.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I dont want to be rude but there is a simple question!!!!If driving to LAX from San Diego or changing flights is such a pain, how will they manage in Paris??? What are they expecting once they reach Paris CDG Airport? How will they go to all the Tourist destinations like Eiffel Tower, Louvre Museum, Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, Champs-Elysees, Tuileries and all those places. There is going to be a car ride from CDG Airport to Hotel also!!!! There are security screenings, bag search before entering tourists spots also.
Most of the tourist locations have expedited security screening and entrances for the disabled. There's a big difference between a slow stroll with no particular destination in mind or no specific time to be someplace and a scramble to catch an international flight in one of the busiest airports in the world.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,045,948 times
When we went to France (I believe it was 2006) on the return trip from CDG, we went through the regular security check but they put a yellow sticker on our passports and as we got to the end of the check they said "Please go over there" pointing to a little waiting area before the entry to the main airport. There were several other people there and others came after us. One of the guys standing there said "Have you noticed that we're all Americans ?" And sure enough only US citizens were being put to the side. After everybody else went through, they made us go through again. Then after we got to our gate and were waiting to board the plane, as we were boarding, they once again made the Americans step aside and damned if they didn't go through our carry on's again !! It was very obvious that they were targeting US citizens. And they were not friendly at all. We did enjoy France and found the people very nice and accommodating.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:20 PM

900 posts, read 793,873 times
Quote:
Okay I have never driven there. So what is your point? It is impossible to drive from San Diego to Los Angeles Airport? So you dont want to drive and dont want to change flights!!! Why travel then???
I wouldn't see this as a problem, particularly since according to the current schedule, the two daily non-stops depart at 3:45 and 9:45 (or somewhere around there). Even for the earlier departure it shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:31 PM

900 posts, read 793,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My point is that it's a four hour plus drive due to traffic. Not to mention very expensive parking at LAX. Driving in southern CA and driving in western TX are like night and day.
We wouldn't be driving our own car, so the cost of parking wouldn't be an factor.

There's no way that San Diego to LAX is a four-hour drive, except perhaps in the absolute worst possible conditions. There are carpool lanes through most of the problematic stretches of the route, as well. At the time of day when we'd be driving--late morning or midday, it's pretty much highway speed straight through.

Quote:
I gave the OP advice for a single and very manageable connection. I'll repeat it.

Delta connecting in the VERY manageable SLC then straight to CDG.
Taking under advisement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or