U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:35 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,520,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I wouldn't see this as a problem, particularly since according to the current schedule, the two daily non-stops depart at 3:45 and 9:45 (or somewhere around there). Even for the earlier departure it shouldn't be that difficult.
Exactly!!! Time is convenient and a Direct flight (Air France) from LAX will be very comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:04 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
We wouldn't be driving our own car, so the cost of parking wouldn't be an factor.

There's no way that San Diego to LAX is a four-hour drive, except perhaps in the absolute worst possible conditions. There are carpool lanes through most of the problematic stretches of the route, as well. At the time of day when we'd be driving--late morning or midday, it's pretty much highway speed straight through.
It might be, it might not. A few months ago it took me two hours to get from Santa Ana to LAX--midday. That's typically a 50 minute drive.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Exactly!!! Time is convenient and a Direct flight (Air France) from LAX will be very comfortable.
Given my last experience with them, I'd never fly them again. They couldn't get us checked in--that took over an hour and numerous calls to Paris. The flight was over two hours delayed in both directions. The plane was dirty, at least one lav was out of order in both directions, food was poor, service abysmal.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:58 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,520,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Given my last experience with them, I'd never fly them again. They couldn't get us checked in--that took over an hour and numerous calls to Paris. The flight was over two hours delayed in both directions. The plane was dirty, at least one lav was out of order in both directions, food was poor, service abysmal.
What happened there? So what exactly was the problem in checking in??? Were they taking an hour and calls to Paris for checking-in each and every passenger? Sometimes there are issues like reaching airport late, tickets from travel agents/websites which are not confirmed or Passport/visa validity problems.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What happened there? So what exactly was the problem in checking in??? Were they taking an hour and calls to Paris for checking-in each and every passenger? Sometimes there are issues like reaching airport late, tickets from travel agents/websites which are not confirmed or Passport/visa validity problems.
There was some soft of software glitch. Over half of the plane had to be manually checked in, people lost seats they had booked months in advance, it was a mess. We were at the airport four hours before our flight time, had booked directly with Air France, have no passport problems (we hold Global Entry cards), and the plane itself was there waiting, but the delay was manually checking all the people in. They were completely unapologetic about it.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 PM

900 posts, read 794,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It might be, it might not. A few months ago it took me two hours to get from Santa Ana to LAX--midday. That's typically a 50 minute drive.
Well, there you are. Santa Ana - LAX is a whole other kettle of fish, since you have to pass through a couple of the big interchanges in DTLA. Moreover, the 5 is a major corridor for big rig trucks, much more so than the 405. Nobody wanting to drive from San Diego to LAX and being in their right mind would go anywhere near Santa Ana or DTLA.

We'd be coming in from Escondido, to, not the City of San Diego, so that also helps a bit.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:14 PM

Default Update: BA has nonstop flights from San Diego to London.

Yep, it's true!

British Airways has a direct flight from SAN to LHR, so I think that pretty much solves all our problems. The last time I traveled through Lindbergh Field, granted it was 35 years ago or more, you still had to walk outside and go up the air stairs to board. It's gratifying to see that Lindbergh can now be used by something as as big as a B-777, which is what BA uses on the route, as the airport still has just the one runway.

The coach cabin/service level on BA's long-haul flights doesn't look too bad, either.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:56 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
I just re-read all five pages of this thread and I'm still not certain of your destination. Is it CDG? Is it LHR? Where exactly are you going?

Because if your destination is CDG, then annerk's suggestion of SAN->SLC->CDG is most likely the sweet spot for time/price/duration. As long as the transfer is somewhere along the route, it isn't a waste of time. SLC is a much more manageable airport than LHR.

The only reason I suggested LHR is that many trips to Paris start in London and then cross the channel. Because the best parts of both countries are along the way. If it were me, I'd skip Paris entirely and go to Epernay. Don't get me wrong. I love Paris. But Paris is no Epernay.

With my luck though, we've had it wrong all along and you're actually going to Prague.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I just re-read all five pages of this thread and I'm still not certain of your destination. Is it CDG? Is it LHR? Where exactly are you going?
We don't know where we're going, exactly, but bear with me. We plan to spend about a month in Europe and we do have a short list of must-see places, mostly such obvious cities such as Paris, Rome, and Berlin. The exact itinerary remains to be worked out, however.

London hadn't been a part of our plans initially, and it's true that changing our plans to include it result largely from the availability of an easy direct route from San Diego. But it is London, after all; it's not like we'd be flying to the European equivalent of Bakersfield just to avoid changing planes or driving up to LAX. London's certainly worth visiting in its own right, but even if it weren't, rail connections to Paris are easy enough now that you no longer need to take a ferry.

Quote:
Because if your destination is CDG, then annerk's suggestion of SAN->SLC->CDG is most likely the sweet spot for time/price/duration. As long as the transfer is somewhere along the route, it isn't a waste of time. SLC is a much more manageable airport than LHR.
I assume you mean SLC is easier for those who need to change planes there, but that won't be an issue for us at LHR. Of course there's all the things you have to go through when you arrive at any foreign airport, but you'd have that anywhere.

Quote:

With my luck though, we've had it wrong all along and you're actually going to Prague.
No, we're definitely not going to Prague--not that we never would, but it's too far down on our list right now. Maybe the next time.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:27 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
OK. Now I know your trip. Paris, Rome, Berlin and possibly London. I have lived in two of these cities for an extended period of time, and I go to the others often enough that there are a lot of people there who know me. I'm not trying to boast. I want to establish my credibility for the suggestions that I am about to make.

Since London appears to be optional, skip it. (And I'm probably the biggest American Anglophile on C-D.) Adding London to the trip is considerably more expensive and considerably less convenient than deleting it.

Fly from SAN to LAS and then fly Condor from LAS to FRA (Frankfurt). That puts you SQUARELY in the middle of your vacation area. Armed with a Eurrail pass, you can easily see Paris via Epernay. (And if you can't have fun in Epernay, you aren't capable of having fun.) Then you can take the train from Paris to either Mainz or Koblenz and take the most beautiful train trip in the world up to Cologne. My wife and I took this trip. And my wife asked me if we could just skip Cologne and just take the same train back to Koblenz. So we did. This is a VERY pretty trip. (I really ought to take her to Cologne sometime.)

Then get from Cologne to Berlin. Enjoy Unter den Linden. Eat some currywurst. Drink some Weiss. And then it's a straight shot by train through Innsbruck to Rome. It's the second-most beautiful train trip in the world toward Venice through the Dolomites. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THIS TRAIN IS DAYTIME. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS. Take a side trip to Venice and then off to Rome.

From Rome, it's an easy-peasy trip back to Frankfurt via a VERY fast train. Or you can spend some time in Florence in between. And then fly back to LAS and back to SAN.

THAT is your trip. You need a Eurrail pass that is good for more than one month, valid for France, Germany, Austria and Italy and valid for at least 12 days of rail travel.

That is the least amount of hassle for someone with mobility issues. Because in Europe, the train station is in the middle of town, right next to all the good stuff. In Rome, you can walk to the Roman Forum from the station. And the time on the train is the best time ever if you know how to travel via Eurrail. There's a little food stand that sells beer/wine/cheese/fruit/bread near every station. Load up. And picnic and sightsee the entire way. This is how my wife and I travel. I cannot stress enough that this is the vacation that you are looking for. Rail pass, trains, arrive in the middle of town and enjoy.

I cannot stress enough the importance of packing light for such a trip. The Europeans are going to know you're an American from a mile away. Don't try to fool them by being a stylish American. Pack cheap, light and don't bring anything you don't absolutely need. You have mobility issues. Europe is not a friendly place for you. It's beautiful. But it's basically a constant exercise on the Stairmaster. Trains are the way to go for you. You need a travel agent who specializes in central European railpass trips.

I can do this trip in my head. But I'm in a different line of work. Go find an agent who knows this trip inside out. In every city you decide to stop at, there will be cheap hotels near the station (some of them are dodgy -- beware). There will be moderate hotels a little further out. That's where you want to stay.

EDIT -- Just for fun I plugged your itinerary with traditional layovers and got a fee of $800 for a first class ticket for 11 days of rail travel over two months. (I know you want to spend one month. But Rail passes either offer "not enough for too much money" or "way too much for about the right price.") That takes care of most of your travel days. Although you may need to buy one or two one-way tickets. (Do so for short trips where it doesn't matter. The Rhine trip to Cologne, for instance is cheaper than deleting a day from your rail pass. Use those 11 train days for the longer trips. The only problem with a 1st-class ticket is that there aren't enough first-class trains. You'll often sit in second. But first makes the most sense financially. No lines that way. Trains work like planes -- separate line for 1st class.) I have taken this exact trip many times. It's a great trip to take.

Travelers: 1 Adult
Eurail Select Pass Free Day Promotion
Countries: Austria, France, Germany, Italy
Validity: 11 Days in 2 Months
Class of Service: First Class

$795

The second class passes that offer those four countries actually cost MORE and are more inconvenient. For instance:
Eurail Italy Pass
Validity: 4 Days in 2 Months
Class of Service: Second Class

Eurail Austria - Germany Pass
Validity: 5 Days in 2 Months
France Rail Pass
Validity: 3 Days in 1 Month

$886

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-30-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or