U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 PM

900 posts, read 795,458 times

Advertisements

We're considering a trip to Europe in 2015, during the season which I will optimistically refer to as "early Spring". I've been in Paris in the early spring, and the chilly grey waters of the Seine were flooding the lower banks up to the bench backs. Still it had a certain charm, n'est-pas?

We haven't bought our tickets yet, although it's most likely that we would be starting from San Diego (Lindbergh Field) and changing at LAX or SFO, for what I hope will be a nonstop flight to Europe--depending on what's available at the time of booking. The initial destination, considering which cities on the Continent have the most nonstop flights from California, and what we want to see, will most likely be Paris. I should mention also that some of the itineraries I have researched begin not in San Diego, but at a very small local airport (Carlsbad Palomar), whose only commercial flights are puddle-jumper flights to LAX.

And this brings me to my question: Is it always a given that you only have to go through security once during the journey? When changing planes in a large and busy facility like LAX, particularly if arriving on one of those puddle-jumpers, do you ever have to exit the security perimeter when going from one terminal to the other? Does it make a difference if we need to be transported between terminals? If it were just me I'd walk it, but my wife will almost certainly need the transportation within the airport.

So...what should we be aware of with regard to security, particularly at LAX and SFO? I mean, aside from the obvious things everyone knows about, like not bringing box-cutters, polo mallets, Jarts, and like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 PM

6,157 posts, read 6,326,574 times
Looking at SFO's website you can get from your arriving flight to your deparure flight without having to re-screen only if you arrive into terminal 3 and departing from the "G" gates in the international terminal. Looks like most Europe bound flights depart from the "A" gates in the international terminal.

Looking at LAX's website I could not find anything indicating you could transfer from one terminal to another without re-screening.

I have never flown international out of either so I could be wrong.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:27 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
One needs to go through security a second time if one is changing planes within the USA after arriving from an international destination. This is because one must go through passport/immigration and customs at your first port of call/arrival in the USA and in order to get to your connecting flight you have to go through security again like anyone else arriving from outside the airport.

So in the case of the OP, you would only need to go through security once when departing the USA but probably have to go through security twice upon your return.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:09 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,251,662 times
I assume from the French sprinkled in the post that you're flying to CDG. But if you're flying elsewhere, it changes the calculus. I would rather fly to LHR or FRA via LAS (not LAX). That means slightly less expensive flights on Virgin or Condor, and you're at least heading to your connection in the right direction, cutting down on total travel time. And the LAS international terminal is a JOY compared to LAX or SFO.

In general, I fly out of SFO when I am heading east. And I fly out of LAS when I'm heading to England or Germany. For your scenario of living in Chargers country and flying to CDG, I would likely fly from LAX to an East Coast hub and then to Paris. That's your sweet spot for price vs. total trip duration.

And to answer your question about flying into LAX or SFO in a commuter, you are changing terminals and re-screening. I hope that you are one of the "pack light and check nothing" kind of travelers.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-05-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One needs to go through security a second time if one is changing planes within the USA after arriving from an international destination. This is because one must go through passport/immigration and customs at your first port of call/arrival in the USA and in order to get to your connecting flight you have to go through security again like anyone else arriving from outside the airport.

So in the case of the OP, you would only need to go through security once when departing the USA but probably have to go through security twice upon your return.
That is not accurate. We fly from RDU to and from international destinations, typically changing planes in Atlanta (though occasionally other airports). We have to go from one terminal to another, but we never exit the terminal buildings. And we never have to go through passport/immigration a second time.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,504,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That is not accurate. We fly from RDU to and from international destinations, typically changing planes in Atlanta (though occasionally other airports). We have to go from one terminal to another, but we never exit the terminal buildings. And we never have to go through passport/immigration a second time.
You did not read what you quoted. Chava61 said: "One needs to go through security a second time". Not immigration ..... security:

Quote:
And Chava61 is entirely correct about that. If you are an international arrival at ATL you need to go through security after clearing customs if you want to connect to another airplane. This is true at every commercial airport across the country.

There are exceptions: flights that clear immigration and customs before departure are treated as domestic arrivals. Some non-US airport have this "pre-clearance" program (some airports in Canada, the Caribbean, and Ireland) which can be used by US-bound flights.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,504,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
And this brings me to my question: Is it always a given that you only have to go through security once during the journey?
No. That's never a given.

Quote:
When changing planes in a large and busy facility like LAX, particularly if arriving on one of those puddle-jumpers, do you ever have to exit the security perimeter when going from one terminal to the other?
It's been awhile since I last connected to an international flight at SFO, but when I did I had to leave the secure area and go through security again to get to the intl gate. I don't know about LAX. ORD is another airport where you have to re-clear security. There is no way to get from the domestic terminals (1 through 3) to the international terminal (5) without leaving the secure area.

There are some airports where this is not the case, such as ATL and IAD. So the answer is "it depends".

Quote:
So...what should we be aware of with regard to security, particularly at LAX and SFO? I mean, aside from the obvious things everyone knows about, like not bringing box-cutters, polo mallets, Jarts, and like that.
It should be about the same as security at any commercial airport. Shoes off, liquids and laptops out, spread 'em and get irradiated. (Unless you qualify for pre-check)

Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM

5,917 posts, read 6,720,665 times
Quote:

This ^^^.

With rare exceptions due to things like airport construction or airlines that don't have a baggage transfer agreement (your puddle jumper connection for instance)---such that you have to claim your bags, and then re-enter security.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:05 PM

7,685 posts, read 16,109,576 times
In the probably unlikely event that you have to connect through Amsterdam, at least a good amount of Schiphol airport still requires you to go through another security screening before going into the boarding lounge area. (Hit that earlier this year going a Boston-Amsterdam-Edinburgh, so your experience may vary if you're going Schengen-Schengen country on the connection like NL-France would be)

Old 09-05-2014, 02:16 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,184,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
We're considering a trip to Europe in 2015, during the season which I will optimistically refer to as "early Spring". I've been in Paris in the early spring, and the chilly grey waters of the Seine were flooding the lower banks up to the bench backs. Still it had a certain charm, n'est-pas?

We haven't bought our tickets yet, although it's most likely that we would be starting from San Diego (Lindbergh Field) and changing at LAX or SFO, for what I hope will be a nonstop flight to Europe--depending on what's available at the time of booking. The initial destination, considering which cities on the Continent have the most nonstop flights from California, and what we want to see, will most likely be Paris. I should mention also that some of the itineraries I have researched begin not in San Diego, but at a very small local airport (Carlsbad Palomar), whose only commercial flights are puddle-jumper flights to LAX.

And this brings me to my question: Is it always a given that you only have to go through security once during the journey? When changing planes in a large and busy facility like LAX, particularly if arriving on one of those puddle-jumpers, do you ever have to exit the security perimeter when going from one terminal to the other? Does it make a difference if we need to be transported between terminals? If it were just me I'd walk it, but my wife will almost certainly need the transportation within the airport.

As some of the posters have noted, security rules seem to be different in different parts of the US. However, the same thing goes on in Europe. I was at the Frankfort airport a few years ago and had to go through security 3 or 4 different times, just to get on my flight. These security checks can take some time. I had thought I was done and spent extra time. Make sure you always get to the airport with plenty of extra time.

The most common thing I see confiscated at security stations are bottles of liquids, scissors and even some food. Many people seem to forget the bottle of water they are drinking out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or