U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_432 View Post
The issue is not so much traveling solo, the greater issue is staying on the honeymoon side of the resort, with newlyweds. I am not making it odd, the situation is very awkward. Put yourself in my shoes. Wouldn't you feel odd staying in a grand luxury honeymoon suite all alone, as a young single woman?
It's only awkward in your mind.

HELLO! You're going to Jamaica and staying in a large luxury ocean view room for the price of a smaller room. Get over your hangups and recognize that it's an awesome situation!

(sorry to be blunt, but I would LOVE to be in your shoes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:56 AM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
Quote:
It's not just a matter of getting a grand/ "nicer" room. The truth is, it's very odd for a single woman who is traveling alone to be situated in a grand luxury honeymoon suite for 5 nights.
I spent a week at an all-inclusive by myself. My husband's mother died shortly before we were due to leave and he elected to stay home with his family.

I can't tell you how many times I was asked where my male companion was. This was in Mexico so maybe it's cultural.

Although I've traveled alone before, the AI was a different environment. I went to the concierge, explained the issue and asked him that if there were any other single women there would he mention me and tell them I would like to dine with them? He just look at me rather strangely and it didn't happen.

But I did see a woman sitting alone at dinner and asked her if I could share her table. She was also traveling alone and for safety reasons was staying at AIs. So we had a couple of meals together.

I understand how you feel about the room. I always prefer a quiet and cozy space when I'm by myself.

If you like to be quiet and left alone staying at an AI as a single will be your cup of tea.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:07 AM

25 posts, read 26,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I spent a week at an all-inclusive by myself. My husband's mother died shortly before we were due to leave and he elected to stay home with his family.

I can't tell you how many times I was asked where my male companion was. This was in Mexico so maybe it's cultural.

Although I've traveled alone before, the AI was a different environment. I went to the concierge, explained the issue and asked him that if there were any other single women there would he mention me and tell them I would like to dine with them? He just look at me rather strangely and it didn't happen.

But I did see a woman sitting alone at dinner and asked her if I could share her table. She was also traveling alone and for safety reasons was staying at AIs. So we had a couple of meals together.

I understand how you feel about the room. I always prefer a quiet and cozy space when I'm by myself.

If you like to be quiet and left alone staying at an AI as a single will be your cup of tea.
The resort is all inclusive. It includes all food, snacks, alcohol and non alcoholic drinks (although I don't drink), on-site shows/entertainment and water sports (excluding scuba diving).

I pretty much plan to read, swim and relax.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 AM

25 posts, read 26,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's only awkward in your mind.

HELLO! You're going to Jamaica and staying in a large luxury ocean view room for the price of a smaller room. Get over your hangups and recognize that it's an awesome situation!

(sorry to be blunt, but I would LOVE to be in your shoes)
I am making the best of the situation, by not cancelling my travel plans. I have never stayed at this particular all inclusive sandals resort, so it will be a learning experience.

I will try to be friendly and upbeat, despite feeling a little awkward about my accommodations.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,476,826 times
It's only five days. Tell people what you want and be who you want. Go and chill. I'm sure you will come back and say you had a good time.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:45 PM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
I'm glad you decided to go. You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Take time to enjoy honeymoon watching. That's got to have some cute moments in it.

And if you start to feel awkward about being among them you can always call this your honeymoon-with-yourself vacation because cultivating love and kindness towards ourselves is something we forget to do all too often.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM

6,898 posts, read 3,826,037 times
Quote:
The issue is not so much traveling solo, the greater issue is staying on the honeymoon side of the resort, with newlyweds. I am not making it odd, the situation is very awkward. Put yourself in my shoes. Wouldn't you feel odd staying in a grand luxury honeymoon suite all alone, as a young single woman?

Heck no! The room is just for sleeping and such. Nobody is going to give you a second thought. Much ado about nothing. I am also a single young woman who's traveled solo many times and due to the travel benefits I receive from my employer (discounts on airfare, hotels and things) I often get to stay in large expensive rooms. I don't feel awkward in the least. People ( especially honeymooners) have other things on their minds rather than wondering about your marital status or in what part of the resort that you're staying in.
Go have fun and enjoy the pampering!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:09 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,830,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Take time to enjoy honeymoon watching. That's got to have some cute moments in it.
I would totally get one of those big wide-brimmed straw hats and a huge pair of sunglasses and lounge around (with an obvious air of mystery) spending my time people watching. And I would probably entertain myself by making up stories about all the honeymooning couples. Like: he's in insurance sales, she's a dental hygienist, and she's been schtupping the best man. Or, they met online, had a long virtual courtship, he proposed the first time they met in person, and they got married a few months later. He's got another wife in Tuscon and a wife and kids in Albany.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,373,108 times
If you decide to go, PLEASE, PLEASE do not miss the most magical trip you will EVER in your life make. It is called Rockland Bird Sanctuary and it is run by Fritz. He is the nephew of the woman that trained these hummingbirds over the course of years to trust her, and the interaction with 7 different variety of hummers is AMAZING, and MAGICAL!!!!! A one hour trip from Nigel, but you would be AMAZED how worth it the experience is......
Rocklands Bird Sanctuary - Wiltshire - Reviews of Rocklands Bird Sanctuary - TripAdvisor

Old 09-06-2014, 08:27 PM

16,017 posts, read 19,661,658 times
Quote:
I booked a solo trip to Jamaica, Negril, but my travel plans were changed, due to the resort undergoing renovations. I've been offered an upgrade to a luxury sandals honey moon suite in Negril, but I'm traveling solo, therefore I don't need a large honey moon suite.

The upgrade is actually valued at $375 per night, so I feel odd turning it down. I really want to go, but won't it be odd having an entire honeymoon suite as a solo traveler?
Yes....But more than that, you'll be surrounded by honeymooners, not single folks like yourself....that would be the biggest concern if it were me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or