U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:14 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,389,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Get ready. Lots of things have changed since 2007. No free donuts, drinks or backpacks on Frontier anymore.
Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A lot of cheap Frontier Airlines fares have been coming across my screens when I receive my Airfarewatchdog.com e-mails.

Any opinions, experiences, or things that I need to know before using that airline?
Biggest issues is that they have very limited flights, so if one gets cancelled, it could be the next day anyhow before they can get you out.

Great if you really don't have to be anywhere, but otherwise I'd rather spend the money on a carrier that will be able to re-book me to get me there on a slightly different routing later that day.

If I were retired and traveling to see family where it didn't really matter if I missed a day of the trip, I'd consider them.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Biggest issues is that they have very limited flights, so if one gets cancelled, it could be the next day anyhow before they can get you out.

Great if you really don't have to be anywhere, but otherwise I'd rather spend the money on a carrier that will be able to re-book me to get me there on a slightly different routing later that day.

If I were retired and traveling to see family where it didn't really matter if I missed a day of the trip, I'd consider them.
This^^^^ Frontier for me flies out of Trenton NJ. That can be iffy in winter if they have to cancel a flight as they don't fly every day, same for Allegiant, they don't fly every day either.

weather related cancellations on a major carrier can be a head ache, can only imagine on a carrier like Frontier.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
This^^^^ Frontier for me flies out of Trenton NJ. That can be iffy in winter if they have to cancel a flight as they don't fly every day, same for Allegiant, they don't fly every day either.

weather related cancellations on a major carrier can be a head ache, can only imagine on a carrier like Frontier.
Trenton was exactly the airport I was thinking of.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Thanks for all the info. I have been bombarded with cheap fares from both Spirit and Frontier. However, it seems like you have to pay for everything but the oxygen on those flights.

I think that I will pay a little more and fly Southwest or US Air PHX-CLE or CHI in November.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I have been bombarded with cheap fares from both Spirit and Frontier. However, it seems like you have to pay for everything but the oxygen on those flights.

I think that I will pay a little more and fly Southwest or US Air PHX-CLE or CHI in November.
I think this is a very wise choice!

Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
I Fly frontier almost exclusively because I always fly out of DIA and they have non-stops to the places I need to go to. The planes are starting to seem kind of old and they do charge for almost everything in addition to a seat. But they ticket prices are low and they get you there, what more would you want unless you have access to a corporate jet or something? One thing to note is if you ever plan to travel with a lap-baby age kid they WILL NOT let you check in online and then if you get there one minute less than 45 minutes early they say they can't board you because you did not check in early enough, so they book you a new flight and charge you $$$. But that's pretty specific circumstances and may well be the same for other airlines anyways, due to TSA lameness.

Sometimes I fly united because my schedule dictates it, but it's really not any different.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:37 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Set up a fare alert from a site like Airfare Watchdog for US Air and the the other legacy carriers and then get on Southwest's e-mail sales list if you aren't already. While the big carriers don't quite price match Spirit or Frontier, they'll often drop their own prices significantly when a discount carrier tries to start something.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:49 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Set up a fare alert from a site like Airfare Watchdog for US Air and the the other legacy carriers and then get on Southwest's e-mail sales list if you aren't already. While the big carriers don't quite price match Spirit or Frontier, they'll often drop their own prices significantly when a discount carrier tries to start something.

Airfarewatchdog.com covers all airlines. That is why I prefer using them to locate fares. In addition, they'll show you airports within 100 miles.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Airfarewatchdog.com covers all airlines. That is why I prefer using them to locate fares. In addition, they'll show you airports within 100 miles.
I've had an alert set up on there for a couple of years to get airfare from MCO or TPA to LAX or several greater LA area airports. All I've gotten for a few months now have been some $500+ fares on the legacies and mid-to-upper $300's on Spirit and Frontier. When I make this trip it's usually for 2-3 days total, so I really need a legacy with interline agreements. Plus I hate being nickel and dimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or