Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

My idea of a vacation at sea is as part of the science crew on one of these:
http://greatbeltresearchcruise.com/g...1/melvile4.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:06 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
My father was a merchant marine officer for 30 odd years. As a kid I sailed all over the world on cargo ships he was the chief officer or captain of. I sailed for 9 months in the year 1992. Some of my fondest memories are located aboard that ship.
So freighter travel for you is a very nostalgic experience. Of course, very few people share your history, so will not share that nostalgia.

Quote:
The whole journey has an almost surreal zen like appeal. There's nothing but the ocean. The white foam being left behind by your ship's trail is probably the only non blue color you see for days. It feels like a lazy, hazy afternoon. You just relax or read or walk or ponder. And then there's the excitement as the sea port approaches. It's almost like landing on a different planet.

See, in this day and age no one has the interest or the desire to just sit idle and relax. Imagine being a month without the internet(though emails are there, there's no internet surfing) and smartphone updates.
That has nothing to do with freighter travel. Anyone with self-discipline can do that at home. When I don't work (and I do get 50+ work emails/day), I check my emails less than once/day. And I check my personal non-work email account less than once/day as well. Very rarely do I miss anything, so I simply am not addicted to my e-mail. I don't really need isolation because I can just ignore it by not looking at it even when I have the option to do so.

Or, I can just head up north to my in-law's cabin in the Chippewa National Forest. There's internet, but it's dial-up, and I've never felt compelled to use it - my dial-up days are behind me. My phone? I don't surf on it. It's just too inconvenient. Again, discipline.

Alternately, I find solitude by throwing on a backpack and heading into the woods, the mountains, the desert.

Quote:
I decided to do some research yesterday and it culminated in my calling a London office(I am in Ottawa, Canada). I got every necessary detail and I am planning a Far East trip from Vancouver. The trip will take 35 days(touching Far East cities and returning to canada) and cost around 5000 can dollars- which seems expensive, and is but remember that it includes stay and food(3 times a day). I soon realized that only the elderly of for it usually because they have free time. But it should become more popular.

What is your opinion of my essay? Why isn't cargo ship travel that popular? Would you consider it?
It's not that popular because very few people have the background behind your nostalgia. No, I would not consider it. As I indicated above, I can find solitude in simpler, cheaper ways. If I am spending money to visit Asia or Europe or someplace, I want to maximize my experience in Asia, Europe, or wherever. And my travel interests tend toward history, culture, and wilderness.

You've got an unusual view of freighter travel because of your atypical childhood. And that's fine. We're all products of our environments in some ways.

Even though I don't share your travel-by-freighter interest, I enjoyed your post...

Old 10-20-2014, 09:13 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
while gaining some light mariner experience at the same time. Pipe dreams I guess.
Pipe dreams ?
For many an entrepreneur, that is where it all started !
Then next is how you tackle that *dream* !
You do nothing else but dream, you are just a dreamer with no real goals !

I *dreamt* at a very early age (about the same age as when most boys think about becoming a Fireman or Policeman) about being able to fly.
All my life I worked on *many things* that would eventually fly (I became an Aerospace Engineer).
But I also learned how to fly and could do so by the time I was at the legal age to fly.
Never became a *Professional Pilot*.
Today, I still fly but only for *fun*.

You can do a similar thing. Do not let it stay a Pipe Dream !

Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Freighter travel was popular by a small minority of mostly retired folks back before the 80's. Container ships have since taken over, and the style of life on board has changed. I doubt if it would be a pleasant place to be for long trips.

My mom did freighters starting in about 1970, went around the world, Asia, Africa, and had a great time. In those days the small number of pax ate with the officers and thus socialized with them.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
In those days the small number of pax ate with the officers and thus socialized with them.
Still the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel