U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 599 times

Advertisements

I have planned a trip to Beijing over the Chinese New Year 2015 and I have a few questions:
Is it safe to wal the streets of the Hutongs at night?
Is the subway safe?
Where is best place to watch New YEar Fireworks from?
Any info on the temple fairs?
Anyone know what sites are closed on the actual New Year day?
Will locals still be doing Tai Chi in the parks in the winter?
Has anyone used this service Beijing airport transfer,Beijing airport transportation,Beijing Airport Pick up Service for transport from the airport?
Any of the "top ten" sites you would recommend missing?
I would like to visit a quaint, old, small, intimate Chinese hebal/traditional medicine store/person, any recommendations?
Where to find fortune tellers?
Look forward to some insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 06:08 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,986,776 times
China is a relatively safe country. I don't think you need to be concerned about your personal safety while in Beijing in general nor in the Beijing subway in particular.

While in Beijing, I suggest visiting the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven and the Silk Market (right next to one of the entrances to the Temple of Heaven). Also the Summer Palace is considered a top tourist site although I didn't actually get to it. Also you take a group tour to visit the Great Wall which is outside of the city, but it is very difficult to get to on one's own if one doesn't speak Chinese.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,249,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzhang View Post
I have planned a trip to Beijing over the Chinese New Year 2015 and I have a few questions:
Is it safe to wal the streets of the Hutongs at night? Yes.
Is the subway safe? Yes.
Will locals still be doing Tai Chi in the parks in the winter? Yes.
Any of the "top ten" sites you would recommend missing? No. See them all.
Look forward to some insights. Skip the fortune tellers and the traditional medicine.

I haven't been there for New Year's so I only answered the questions I knew. I assume the fireworks are going to center around the Tiananmen area, which means the best place to see them will be Jinshan Park (where the Tai Chi happens every day). Of course, everyone in Beijing also knows this, so Jinshan will be PACKED.

If you book your hotel with some foresight, you should be able to see the Fireworks from the roof. (The place we stayed had a rooftop garden with a view of both Jinshan and the Palace Museum.)

Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Assuming this isn't a disguised thread by the OP to advertise his airport transportation service (posting a link is suspect, and a 1st time user)....

Hey I will be in Beijing in a couple days, second time this year.
China is a safe country and you should have no problems. I just take taxi's from the airport, I've never taken the Beijing subway but have some experience in Shanghai and can say they get very crowded. They are clean and safe, just crowded and you can expect pushing and shoving.
I have no idea of what happens on New Years Day but of course you should realize that Chinese follow an entire different calander for celebration purposes.
As far as what to see - Tianmian Square, the Forbidden City, of course. You can also take a day trip out to the Great Wall. All this info can be googled.
You can see Tai Chi and organized group excersizes in the parks. I found it kind of "group-think/1984"-like strange myself.
Herbal tea is not my thing. But you should be aware of scammers that approach westerners, very friendly, and offer to take them to tea at one of these "quant, old, tea shops". Then they get a huge bill that they are forced to pay. Probably more prevalent in Shanghai then Beijing but still, be aware.
Be aware also - in China, Expect no privacy, particularly if you are a visiting businessman. You can't take a crap without the government knowing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or