U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 AM

656 posts, read 1,008,939 times

Advertisements

Oh, the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD... don't really know how I feel about that one. In 2011, I took a gig for a few months running 18 wheelers over-the-road, and I'd just delivered railroad ties one exit west of Mitchell... Olander's office in Sioux Falls advised me to wait in the area to see if they could get me a load out of the area (whereas I'd wanted to deadhead to Sioux Falls and wait there), so I ended up sitting in that dinky little Pilot for the weekend (only to end up having to go to Sioux Falls, switch trailers, then pick up a load in Iowa).
Got bored... it was in the 90s, I didn't want to run the truck 24/7 for AC, and forget about AC in the truck stop itself (not to mention there was nothing to do at all there). So I walked the two miles to the Corn Palace.
Can't really say I was all that thrilled with it... did get a rather blurry photo taken of me by some other visitors, plus I picked up a bird feeder and fridge magnet. Saw this at a gift shop across the street and was kinda dissuaded from buying it because I was told it was creepy, but I kinda wish I had gone ahead and gotten it:

I don't care what anyone says... I like it.

There's also a stand in that area which sells iced lemonade... hit the spot perfectly that day.

I've never really been one to stop at these sorts of places, so it was kinda like indulging in a "forbidden fruit" for me. It was so cheesy and tacky that it was great.

The only other sensation I could really compare it to would be singing along to Manowar or watching Spinal Tap videos.

I remember I picked up a pet bird after I left there and was heading for Sioux Falls. I named him Necro. Boss man wouldn't let me keep him, though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 AM

8,623 posts, read 6,249,054 times
Never did Vegas, Hollywood is lame, Graceland is pure Elvis kitsch on steroids.
I live near - 8 miles away - DC and I find it can be tacky at times. Not the monuments/museums but the numerous gift/food concession carts/kioks all over the place and typical global sightseers. Goofy midwestern families who remind me of the movie "Vacation" make people watching fun. I just learned the local drug store has DC souvenirs and I have to get a few tacky ones. I need a miniature pewter Washington monument.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 896 times
Times Square and Chinatown in Manhattan.
Never again.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
South of the Border in Dillon SC

South Of The Border ~ America’s Favorite Highway Oasis

Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,473,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You missed the point, but what else is new.
Nope, the point is why does this matter in this thread? You are fit...yay! That has nothing to do with tacky tourist destinations at all.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM

Vegas. You should only venture out at night, when the lights and the darkness help to hide its tackiness.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Graceland.

'Nuff said.
I forgot Graceland. Yep, there are just no words.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,017,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I just learned the local drug store has DC souvenirs and I have to get a few tacky ones. I need a miniature pewter Washington monument.

Yes. Yes, you do!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
What is the TACKIEST tourist attraction and/or vacation destination you ever had the misfortune to experience?

This may include over-rated and over-hyped places. Or places that have become run down dives. Or places that are just plain silly.

I want to hear your opinions and experiences!

I'll start:

South Of The Border, off I-95 in South Carolina (that's right, it's just south of the "border" with North Carolina. A former gas station and rest stop that became a kitschy Mexican-themed gas station and rest area with restaurants, trailer campground, gift shop, and motel. See the giant Sombrero Tower! Select from your choice of 50 different South Of The Border coffee mugs! Beware of tired grouchy kids and foul smelling rest rooms!

HA HA !! I clicked on this thread when I saw it on the "recent activity" module, just to mention South of the Border, and your post was the first I saw! Of course reps followed!

Yes, South of the Border and its crazy semi-racist billboards up and down I-95 have to rate as one of the coolest tacky spots in the world. If you are a fan of cheepo trinkets and plaster Dinosaurus Rex's, you HAVE to stop at SotB at least once!!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They have a motel there!!!! oh hell no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel