U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 06:01 PM

4,873 posts, read 6,296,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I would say Hawaii. Completely overrated and expensive. Don't know why people call it heavenly. During summer atleast you can get similar beaches in Cali or Florida. All the hype to charge $4 for small soda bottle. $7 for milk and locals surviving on tips and asian tourists, didn't feel as if I was in US. Wanted to visit far east asia again but after going to Hawaii this summer I no longer have the desire. Met half of Japan on my last trip to Hawaii.
Sounds like somebody didn't bother to rent a car and leave Waikiki. Indeed, quite the waste of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,380,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
East of Tucson on I-10 is "The Thing?", with billboards touting its "Mystery of the Desert" all the way west to the California state line. Admission is $1. Used to pass it a lot when I lived in Tucson. The question mark is part of the mystery, I guess.

The Thing? an American roadside attraction
I remember "The Thing", good grief is it still there? I used to drive I-10 from Texas to Az a couple times a year, at 55mph if that gives you an idea of how long ago. I only stopped there 1 time, it was after picking up a stranded motorist that just needed gas, and "The Thing" was the next gas stop, I think it was only 50 cents back then to take the tour behind a gas station, only "things" I remember is Hitlers car and a mummified indian, of which probably neither was real

Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,796,006 times
wall drug

Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 PM

1,040 posts, read 892,617 times
Myrtle Beach. I'm sorry.

There's natural beauty, of course. Nice views, pretty beaches and a great botanical museum.

It's the town area that's just weird IMO. A person trying to sell you a timeshare on every corner. "Things" protruding from roofs everywhere you look--giant sharks, etc. Lots of offensive bumper stickers. Odd place.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,576,990 times
I found Cancun to be extremely tacky. I would not go back there if someone gave me a free ticket.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,217,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
The tackiest tourist destination I saw was the section in the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles with the pilgrims settlers..

I loved the other parts of the museum, but wished they had included the history of Native Americans, African Americans, and added a section for the early Asian immigrants like those who built the railroads and Japanese Nisei.

I wish it was more in depth and more broad.. I felt like despite being the museum of tolerance, I would've loved to have seen more diversity.. kinda disappointed in that regard. Especially with the tacky seaside music with seagulls in the background and hoaky pilgrim dolls.. suffocating and uninteresting. Kinda lame.

The Holocaust story was compelling, and the walk of tolerance portions of the museum were interesting.

The MOT's OWN mission statement:

Quote:
Recipient of the Global Peace and Tolerance Award from the Friends of the United Nations, the Museum of Tolerance (MOT) is a human rights laboratory and educational center dedicated to challenging visitors to understand the Holocaust in both historic and contemporary contexts and confront all forms of prejudice and discrimination in our world today.

As Simon Wiesenthal expressed, it must not only remind us of the past, but remind us to act. This Museum should serve to prevent hatred and genocide from occuring to any group now and in the future.
IT"S PRIMARILY A HOLOCAUST MUSEUM.

I don't see any reason why the should be expected to focus on every single culture of peoples who came to AMERICA.

Soory but this "diversity" thing is getting OUT OF HAND.

We are a MELTING POT. Or, used to be until the current generation started believing in the victimization of every subset of person as an identity. IRONY, tho. STOP focusing on Jews being exterminated and talk about Asians building railroads.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,349,087 times
Is anyone going to mention the famous attraction on Lookout Mountain, just south of Chattanooga ...

ROCK CITY?

or nearby RUBY FALLS ???

Old 09-12-2014, 08:14 PM

1,040 posts, read 892,617 times
1000 Islands in NY. Gorgeous natural beauty, marred by disgusting motels and kitsch.

L.A.
I'm sure I didn't see much and didn't get a balanced view. Tried going across the street from the hotel a few times and couldn't stand how the air smelled, so I stayed in my hotel. Felt like a parking garage after a football game.

I went on a tour bus with friends once and it stopped at Graceland. I stayed on the bus because I wasn't interested. Glad to hear I didn't miss anything.

These comments about South of the Border are interesting. Kids in the 70s and 80s used to have t-shirts from there. It was a popular vacation place. Until now, I thought it was a resort in Mexico.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Default RE: Hawaii...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Sounds like somebody didn't bother to rent a car and leave Waikiki. Indeed, quite the waste of money
I will concur that Hawaii is very high on my 'never visit again' list. Been there many times to several islands. I can get by just fine without Hawaii, and prefer head a bit farther SW for my Pacific Island choices.

YMMV, Oahu can certainly be a negative experience, tho I don't find it tacky. My last "rent-a-wreck" there was pretty tacky / dangerous.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 PM

4,750 posts, read 11,376,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Is anyone going to mention the famous attraction on Lookout Mountain, just south of Chattanooga ...

ROCK CITY?

or nearby RUBY FALLS ???
Touring the countryside south of Louisville in 2008, my day was made when I spotted a "See Rock City" barn in spiffy shape just off Route 31-E. I hadn't seen one in eons. Sixty or so years ago, not only did tobacco farmers cure their harvest in small wooden barns, they jumped at the chance to make some easy money. When a barn was readily visible from the two-lane highways which snaked through western Appalachia, it represented an advertising opportunity in the days before billboards. A traveling salesman would offer have a barn painted with a message promoting his client, the owner pocketed some bucks, and everyone was happy. Along with the ubiquitous Rock City exhortation, I remember seeing a great many Mail Pouch tobacco ads.
Since this thread's focus is on "tacky" attractions themselves, I suspect that's why no one had brought up those two main claims to fame of Chattanooga. The sites are said to in fact be places of noteworthy natural beauty. It's the widespread hype of them that's made thousands of eyes roll for decades. (There were also a few Ruby Falls barns, and some which even had double billing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel