U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 AM

62 posts, read 60,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Las Vegas, tacky tacky tacky and nasty nasty nasty.

Feel bad I spent more than a day there, will never go back
This is a good one. I lived in this crap hole for two years. I was so excited the day I left. I'll always have to go back though because, for some reason, almost my entire family migrated there. That place is a disgusting rat hole second only to:

NYC. Trash everywhere. Exhaust pollution. Stench coming from the sewers. A god awful annoying accent. A woman could be one of the prettiest in the world but if she starts talking with that NYC/Jersey Shore accent I'm either running or looking around for duck tape. xD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 02:10 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,931,921 times
Here's another vote for Wall Drug.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 AM

3,236 posts, read 4,214,390 times
The Castle at Raymond, Mississippi. The place is straight out of FLESH GORDON. http://static.auctionservices.com/im...3300_large.JPG I can't tell you the circumstances under which we were lured there, many years ago (I have a jaw-droppingy hot husband, and people have tried for decades, to get us "involved", or at least exploit us for some voyeuristic thrills starring my DH). But before they made The Castle "tasteful", the place was the fantasy project of a mysterious, now-deceased character we're told made his money running guns into Central America (but for all I know, he could actually have made his moola tending vending machines at state fairs). http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...as264Small.jpg

Okay... somebody said they wanted to sell us a Ferrari for cheap. But we were Volvo People. And teetotaling Vegans like us are not the sort of folk given to "trying-out" the "Mexican Bordello Room" at the other end of the secret tunnel from the garage. Nor were we likely to get "loosened-up" by proffered wines from behind the mirrored doors in the sixteen-sided basement "wine room" (beneath the Pseudo-Arthurian 'Round Table' round Dining Room, beneath the round-bedded Master Bedroom in the Big Round Tower... So, I guess we wasted somebody's afternoon, all those many years ago...

Stone gargoyles surely still peer into windows in the main Wedding Chapel. And, at one time, a two-storey 'cantina theatre' http://bridepopmississippi.com/wp-co...Clemmer-04.jpg had a balcony above the stage, where a special girlfriend was said to enjoy playing Rapunzel... to be rescued by various strapping young men. I have no idea whether or not clothing was involved while the rescuing was going on. But that mysterious question certainly adds to the value of the venue. Heck!: the mystique from times past adds a lot of value to the place. It's like the old hotel in The Shining: the past is the primary attraction.

Today, The Castle is used for perfectly respectable weddings. http://vaneshaphotoblog.com/wp-conte...fdrwed-153.jpg And I hear a lady who'd restored a lovely antebellum mansion was hired to oust the Coney Island King Arthur kitsch and upgrade the aesthetics to what apparently amount to a high degree of actual elegance and tastefulness. Pity. I guess this means the round master bed in one of the tower rooms, and the Larry-Flynt-style bank-vault-bedroom-door, are now gone. But 'back in the day', The Castle was reputed to be the scene of the kind of parties preferred by Copperhead Road types and career mercenaries. Lots of two-way mirrors, secret passages, secret tunnels, reputed orgy rooms... ...and a sound studio (Why does every house like this inevitably have a sound studio?) As the Original Owner left it, The Castle was sort of a White Trash Xanadu http://bridepopmississippi.com/wp-co...Clemmer-06.jpg - complete with those gargoyle street lamps you always wondered who would buy.

And yes: those big onion dome thingies on the gateposts do (or did) glow red at night.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 09-10-2014 at 04:24 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 AM

124 posts, read 135,712 times
Venice. Dirty, nasty, awful smelling, dilapidated and overcrowded city. Rotten fish, dirt and trash everywhere.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:08 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

South Of The Border, off I-95 in South Carolina (that's right, it's just south of the "border" with North Carolina. A former gas station and rest stop that became a kitschy Mexican-themed gas station and rest area with restaurants, trailer campground, gift shop, and motel. See the giant Sombrero Tower! Select from your choice of 50 different South Of The Border coffee mugs! Beware of tired grouchy kids and foul smelling rest rooms!
HA I was going to say South of the Border. You'd think with 8,345,215 billboards for the thing that they would clean it up at least a little. It's funny because 25 years ago it didn't look like a complete rat hole. Apparently, it took that long for the rats to take over!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 AM

14,826 posts, read 12,279,550 times
Tijuana Mexico; Ghetto

Old 09-10-2014, 05:13 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole Cohen View Post
South of the Border is a good one but the signs are colorful along the highway :-) My entry is Natural Bridge in Virginia. It's not that the bridge is not pretty. It's the museum, gift shop/ amusement area on the property. 3D 'stuff' including 3D Jesus. At least that's how it was in the 80's when I was there. A friend and I were there for a conference and when we walked out of the building, we were speechless.
Do you mean the wax museum? I was there a couple of years ago and didn't see anything 3D except for the wax figures in the museum. It's still a rather odd place! the bridge is pretty cool, but the rest is just weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
The tackiest tourist destination I saw was the section in the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles with the pilgrims settlers..
Pilgrims in LA?

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,632,643 times
In no particular order...

South of the Border
The Las Vegas Strip (I do like a nice dinner and Cirque Du Soleil for a night though)
The guys dressed like Roman Centurions outside the Forum/Colosseum charging ridiculous prices to get their photo taken
Any "authentic" luau type dinner in Hawaii, French Polynesia, etc.
The Geyser in Calistoga
Atlantic City--no redeeming qualities at all
Any Six-Flags amusement park

While I wouldn't consider them "tacky," I agree that Venice and Tijuana aren't really places I want to rush back to.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
What is the TACKIEST tourist attraction and/or vacation destination you ever had the misfortune to experience?

This may include over-rated and over-hyped places. Or places that have become run down dives. Or places that are just plain silly.

I want to hear your opinions and experiences!

I'll start:

South Of The Border, off I-95 in South Carolina (that's right, it's just south of the "border" with North Carolina. A former gas station and rest stop that became a kitschy Mexican-themed gas station and rest area with restaurants, trailer campground, gift shop, and motel. See the giant Sombrero Tower! Select from your choice of 50 different South Of The Border coffee mugs! Beware of tired grouchy kids and foul smelling rest rooms!
LOL....I do agree

On a trip to San Diego I said to hubby we are so close why not check out Tijuana Mexico. HUGE mistake. Disgusting. Was easy getting in but took FOREVER to cross back into the US.

All though not "tacky" one of the most over rated, over hyped, expensive places on the planet I've been too was Aruba...will never return

Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,574,198 times
Most of Branson, Missouri is pretty tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel