U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,541,856 times

Advertisements

The The Hualapai Skywalk at Gran Canyon West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,226,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What are they if not tourist attractions? People supposedly come to places hundreds or thousands of miles from home to see them. The fact that locals may be the majority of visitors to a business doesn't remove it as a tourist business.

Live entertainment.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,431,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nice way to insult people! I don't live in PA, but in my area there thousands of Amish and Mennonites. They really do drive a horse and buggy. They also dress very old fashioned and simple. Many speak Pennsylvania Dutch....a variation of German. These are REAL people.

Ummm, you must not be familiar with Ghengis' satirical posts.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,785,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Talking about cheesy theme parks ... isn't there a place called Flintstone's Bedrock City??? A quick internet search reveals there are actually two of these places: one in South Dakota and one in Arizona. Has anyone visited either of these places?
Seriously, a Flintstone theme park was built? I would if I can drive the car with my feet.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Vegas is totally underrated. The history alone is worth admiring. It is supposed to be kitschy and slightly dumb, what do people expect when they go there? They have tons of things to do there and even if you wanted to snub your nose at the city (which is pretty ridiculous, imo) then it only takes you twenty minutes to get out to the desert area. Lake Mead is particularly breathtaking.
What history are you referring to?

I don't think man made lakes are all that exciting especially with a damn on one end. I live where there are over a dozen large glacial lakes. It's pretty cool finding fossils around them. And the year round waterfalls are stunning. An ice waterfall is absolutely amazing.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,939,760 times
Heehee, I have seen South of the Border from the highway....you just have to laugh!

I went on a company-paid evening out in Mrytle Beach....(it was a good, professional company but someone made a poor choice!)....we knew it was to be casual but:

It was an indoor show with a huge arena. We were forced to watch poor horses being made to walk down steps and other pitiful acts, people riding donkeys, a rodeo, and then the worst:

guy came out riding an OSTRICH. It was NOT funny....the entire show was ridiculous and nauseating to me.

But not through yet.

Meals delivered to your seat....everyone got the same food items. Plastic plates but no silverware. You were supposed to eat each item with your fingers ie corn on the cob, fried chicken etc.

I (and most all others) was so happy when that horrible night ended!!!!

Quote:
What is the TACKIEST tourist attraction and/or vacation destination you ever had the misfortune to experience?

This may include over-rated and over-hyped places. Or places that have become run down dives. Or places that are just plain silly.

I want to hear your opinions and experiences!

I'll start:

South Of The Border, off I-95 in South Carolina (that's right, it's just south of the "border" with North Carolina. A former gas station and rest stop that became a kitschy Mexican-themed gas station and rest area with restaurants, trailer campground, gift shop, and motel. See the giant Sombrero Tower! Select from your choice of 50 different South Of The Border coffee mugs! Beware of tired grouchy kids and foul smelling rest rooms!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 AM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
I think Patong, Phuket, still like it but only for its nightlife

Old 09-21-2014, 06:33 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,353,154 times
How about those Biblical and/or Creationist themed attractions? Has anyone visited one of those??? I haven't. I think it would kinda cool to see a statue of Jesus riding on the back of a dinosaur!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
How about those Biblical and/or Creationist themed attractions? Has anyone visited one of those??? I haven't. I think it would kinda cool to see a statue of Jesus riding on the back of a dinosaur!
Good grief no! They'd probably try to convert me and make me listen to their babbling nonsense.

I saw the Duggars go to one of those places on their show once. And it just confirmed that I need to stay far, far away. I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Even Donald Trump has sued to have his name removed from two hotels he once owned.
Yes we all know what a classy guy Trump is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel