U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:26 AM

2,900 posts, read 4,607,912 times

Advertisements

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Tennessee. I had first gone there years ago when they were fairly sleepy little towns at the entrance to the beautiful Smoky Mountains. Through the years, the tackiness quotient had increased, but it was tolerable, & enjoyable in a kitschy way.

We went back a couple of years ago--wow! Pigeon Forge has huge "theaters" lining the roads--HATFIELDS & MCCOYS!, LUMBERJACKS!, etc. And while Gatlinburg has has the ubiquitous Ripley's Museum for years, the town now seems to exist only for the purpose of selling nothing but FUDGE! & OLD TIMEY PHOTOS!. And the sidewalks are packed with hordes of fat, t-shirted zombies stumbling towards more Fudge Shoppes.

It was really sad. We couldn't get into the park fast enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 AM

12,274 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Sometimes tacky is fun - The Roswell "International UFO Museum and Research Center". Tacky to the extreme, including life-size plastic aliens and space ships. The fact that it uses "research center" to try to legitimize the seriousness of the place is all too funny.

Sometimes tacky is just sad - just about any carribean island port stop on the cruise circuit (virgin islands, Nassau, Jamaica) are about as tacky as can be - plastic, fake, full of t-shirt shops. Very sad when these cruisers are under the illusion that they are traveling to see other cultures.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:58 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
We ended up spending the night in Las Vegas last year because we were catching an early flight back home the next morning following a Grand Canyon/Zion NP trip, and as we were walking the Strip, we were discussing that it wasn't nearly as tacky as we'd feared it would be. Even the horribly overpriced adult novelty kit in our room at the MGM Grand was more reserved than we would have expected. I guess in the end, the town is fundamentally geared toward the middle aged, middle income convention crowd and has thus been made a bit bland.

But then I live 50 miles west of Panama City Beach, so my standards for tacky are pretty high (low?) in that regard.

Not sure how it is today, but 20 years ago, I thought the town of Deadwood was a lot tackier than Wall Drugs when a trip took me through that part of the country.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:59 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge Tennessee. I had first gone there years ago when they were fairly sleepy little towns at the entrance to the beautiful Smoky Mountains. Through the years, the tackiness quotient had increased, but it was tolerable, & enjoyable in a kitschy way.

We went back a couple of years ago--wow! Pigeon Forge has huge "theaters" lining the roads--HATFIELDS & MCCOYS!, LUMBERJACKS!, etc. And while Gatlinburg has has the ubiquitous Ripley's Museum for years, the town now seems to exist only for the purpose of selling nothing but FUDGE! & OLD TIMEY PHOTOS!. And the sidewalks are packed with hordes of fat, t-shirted zombies stumbling towards more Fudge Shoppes.

It was really sad. We couldn't get into the park fast enough!
Hmm I have wanted to visit, never got there and now I don't think I will

Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
I have come to appreciate tackiness. Don't get me wrong, the stuff is ridiculous, but for a small part of a day, I can appreciate the chessiness of some of these places. I grew up visiting Wisconsin Dells, which has a natural appeal outside of the main strip, but the strip is full of the usual tackiness...wax museum, old time photos (which I want to get with my kids for the chessy memory), hundreds of t shirt shops, etc.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
4 Corners

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Las Vegas, tacky tacky tacky and nasty nasty nasty.

Feel bad I spent more than a day there, will never go back
Lol, I have never been to Vegas for that very reason, I feel it is beyond tacky & I just have no interest in visiting ever. I can't really think of a tacky tourist place I've been recently, I don't do the tourist thing. I guess I'd have to go with the Wisconsin Dells which I haven't been to since probably middle or high school. Just awful place.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 AM

457 posts, read 453,636 times
Niagra Falls has got to be up there somewhere.

Casa De Fruita, in California on the road between San Jose and LA is similar to South of the Border.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM

12,274 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
4 Corners
huh, 4 corners tacky? Are you kidding? It's a geographical beautiful and natural spot, iconic. Mother Nature doesn't do "tacky"...
Perhaps you mean the indian and western shops adjacent to it.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 AM

39 posts, read 48,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
HA I was going to say South of the Border. You'd think with 8,345,215 billboards for the thing that they would clean it up at least a little. It's funny because 25 years ago it didn't look like a complete rat hole. Apparently, it took that long for the rats to take over!
I grew up in the early 1970s about 25 miles from South of the Border. As a little kid, I loved the billboards I saw as we traveled all around NC ("Chili today, hot tamale!"). But my father never took us there! He refused on the principle of it being such a tacky place. We'd drive to the beach and pass it, we kids looking forlornly as we went by.

Since '76 I've lived near Washington DC, and over the years have driven by SoB on the way to points further south, but never stopped. "I'm keeping the family tradition!" I'd think. But now my kid really wants to go (we last went by on driving to Florida) and I think why the heck didn't I just stop into it one of those times? Now I might have to make up a reason to go back down that way!

Tacky places I've been to:

Fields of the Woods Bible Park, Murphy, NC. I visited probably late 1970s, extremely tacky and boring for a teenager (as I was then) and probably any age. It's hard to imagine any parents enthusiastically declaring, "hey kids, pack up the car, we're going to Fields of the Woods!"

Fields Of The Wood Bible Park in Murphy, NC * in-depth review tour 300 Photos! area And MORE!

And in Thailand, I was on a package tour where they decided what we visited, and one of the stops was "Mini Siam/Mini Europe", a park (not free) with miniatures of famous buildings and monuments from around the world. I remember being bored out of my skull. I guess if you never had the opportunity to go see the real thing it could be entertaining to walk around a model of the leaning tower of Pisa, but the whole thing seemed insipid to me.

Mini Siam and Mini Europe - Pattaya - Reviews of Mini Siam and Mini Europe - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel