U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 11:23 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post
NYC. Trash everywhere. Exhaust pollution. Stench coming from the sewers. A god awful annoying accent. A woman could be one of the prettiest in the world but if she starts talking with that NYC/Jersey Shore accent I'm either running or looking around for duck tape. xD
Then you definitely don't want to go to Paris or Rome, where you can step on a pile of dog poo if you're not careful

Back to OP, does Disney count? I know a couple who go to Disney every year. They even plan to retire in Orlando to be close to Disney. I was speechless when I heard that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Back to OP, does Disney count? I know a couple who go to Disney every year. They even plan to retire in Orlando to be close to Disney. I was speechless when I heard that.
Only if it also includes a stop at Cafe Risque just off I-75 on the way down there.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,342,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
What is the TACKIEST tourist attraction and/or vacation destination you ever had the misfortune to experience?

This may include over-rated and over-hyped places. Or places that have become run down dives. Or places that are just plain silly.

I want to hear your opinions and experiences!

I'll start:

South Of The Border, off I-95 in South Carolina (that's right, it's just south of the "border" with North Carolina. A former gas station and rest stop that became a kitschy Mexican-themed gas station and rest area with restaurants, trailer campground, gift shop, and motel. See the giant Sombrero Tower! Select from your choice of 50 different South Of The Border coffee mugs! Beware of tired grouchy kids and foul smelling rest rooms!
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I remembered passing billboard after billboard for South of the Border when we were driving down to Florida one time. I especially liked the one that said "Keep yelling, kid, they'll stop!"

Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM

12,574 posts, read 15,046,057 times
Las Vegas, everyone should visit at least once, but tacky and gaudy afterwards.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:34 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,137,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Possibly tackier: the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Lots of grossly overweight people in skimpy bathing attire, salt water taffy shops, kitschy souvenir stands, Philly cheesesteak sandwich joints, and Chinese foot massage parlors!
I think you're right, AC is definitely higher than Vegas on the tacky scale. The thing is though, most people understand that AC is tacky, and several decades past its prime; even the people who go there. Those who frequent Vegas seem to think they're in the hottest, hippest place in America. To me, it's just a seedy town full of cheats and whores mingling with tourists and convention attendees.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Then you definitely don't want to go to Paris or Rome, where you can step on a pile of dog poo if you're not careful

Disney World is so overrated it's ridiculous, not to mention expensive. I went there in high school & I could've cared less about Disney & Epcot but I LOVED River Country. Too bad it's not a defunct ghost town...very creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I think you're right, AC is definitely higher than Vegas on the tacky scale. The thing is though, most people understand that AC is tacky, and several decades past its prime; even the people who go there. Those who frequent Vegas seem to think they're in the hottest, hippest place in America. To me, it's just a seedy town full of cheats and whores mingling with tourists and convention attendees.
I always said if I ever went to Vegas I would catch an STD just being there.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:34 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
I'd say those fakey horse and buggy towns in East Central Pennsylvania were way over the top...like anyone really dresses like that anymore...bwahahahaha....I don't know how many times I must've heard; "hey der English, please remove your hand from my wife's a$$" OK, whatever you say, Jebediah!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Philly cheese steak sandwiches and fat folks kind of go together, don't they?
I love cheese steaks and am far from fat. In fact my doctor made a comment about how she wished every patient my age was slim and fit like I am. That said, I can eat cheese steaks because I work out every day.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
Niagara Falls (Canadian Side). As a Canadian, that place is ugly as sin.
The Falls themselves are beautiful. Just don't turn around.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Branson yet. I guess we've all worked hard to wipe the Yakhoff Smirnov Theater out of our conscious collective memory.
Branson is right up there with it's partners Gatlinberg and Pigeon Forge. A former boss used to do incentive trips to those dumps--He thought it was the greatest thing in the world and couldn't understand why no one ever wanted their "prize."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel