U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,018,387 times

Advertisements

I love this thread. My bucket list has just grown by leaps and bounds. The tackier the better. I'd have to second Graceland (and the shops across the street from it) and Casa Bonita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:07 AM

14,393 posts, read 7,923,957 times
Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos was the worst vacation ever. We stayed at the "recently renovated Governors mansion." If recently renovated means throwing a dab of paint on everything peeling and falling apart, then I guess it was renovated. There was supposed to be horse back riding on the beach but all the horses ran wild or were held captive in small back yards. The horse dung all over the streets in "town" and used condoms cast about was a real treat too. There were only two out door restaurants on the whole island and tiny at that. Our luggage came hours after our flight and we were lucky to get it. The left behind luggage seems to be the norm. The locals were less then friendly with the "This is our island" mentality. We found an abandoned house with a nice beach so we thought we'd take a swim. That evidently was where the locals go to party because there were used syringes on the beach. Gibbs Cay was the highlight of the trip. Catching stingrays with our bare hands was fun. The scuba diving was great as well, but I was never so happy to fly out of a place in my entire life. It's been over ten years since we were there but I'd be willing to bet that it;s even worse now. To say the tiny island was a sewer would be a compliment.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:05 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,407,233 times
Graceland, Elvis's house. They gave us tape recorders and headphones for the tour. The tape was largely filled with Elvis's ex Priscilla talking about life there.

Horrible gift shops .....

Old 09-11-2014, 01:09 PM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
Caesar's Palace. The whole time I was there, every slot machine was a tribute to Celine Dion and every song we heard was a Celine Dion song. Now I know there is a hell, and it is a perpetual Celine Dion music playlist, repeated for all eternity

Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 PM

8,743 posts, read 12,190,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAndLater View Post
A woman could be one of the prettiest in the world but if she starts talking with that NYC/Jersey Shore accent I'm either running or looking around for duck tape. xD
Jersey Shore accent is not NYC. It's more just Staten Island and some Brooklyn. You know NYC is made of other boroughs don't you? Actually when you said NYC I immediately thought Manhattan. Manhattan people similar to Jersey Shore people - now that's an interesting visual.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-11-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 PM

13,169 posts, read 20,791,547 times
Wild West City in Netcong NJ. It was in the news a while back when live ammo accidentally got used during a fake gunfight.
There aren't a whole lot of attractions in the area, so it's still open, despite the lawsuits.
Netcong, NJ - Wild West City

Another one is Ghost Town in the Sky in Maggie Valley, which features both cowboys AND Indians:
Search Results - RoadsideAmerica.com

I could have appreciated the kitsch a lot more if the entry prices weren't so high.

I do love a country fair though.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:45 PM

707 posts, read 1,010,400 times
I like most tacky place but south of the border is a joke. There's nothing there and it's always dead as hell. It does look better at nighttime though. I laugh out loud just thinking about that place.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:11 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
Moulin Rouge in Paris.
I saw that show years ago. The closing production number included topless women dressed as nuns.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:27 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,439,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Niagra Falls has got to be up there somewhere.
Seriously? Mother nature does not do tacky, so maybe you mean the town?

Those falls are a moving sight .. and I have seen a mighty lot of this wide world, both natural and man-made.

I haven't been to the purported birthplace of jesus in Nazareth, which is under Palestinian control, but from what others have told me it is a tacky little nothing that is not worth the time.

Anyone else been there to support or refute this?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:02 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,337,977 times
Default Miss this place!

Sometimes tacky is jolly good fun!

A really tacky stop my Dad, Mom and my brothers and I enjoyed visiting was a restaurant that was also a roadside tourist attraction ... in Clewiston, Florida! Clewiston is near the southern tip of Lake Okeechobee in the heart of the sugar cane growing region of central south Florida. The place was called The Old South Bar B Q Ranch. The place was filled with antiques and dressed up mannequins and had a western / southern theme.

Don't get me wrong: the barbecue food was delicious! The place was just so kitschy, though. For 50 miles in every direction there were these rhyming continuous "Burma Shave" type signs.

It was great fun for the whole family!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel