U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

I was thinking Costa Rica as well. Or any budget destinations in Central and South America. Europe is a pretty long distance from Cali and might require domestic connections, and even East Asia seems like a long distance for just 5-7 days.

My friend runs some cheap hotels in Guatemala and Belize and seems to love the low cost of things there as well. But English is not as ubiquitous. You could see if there are any living social or groupon tour deals to these areas, unless group tours aren't your thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM
 
28 posts, read 30,753 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The requirement for English speaking kills off a lot of the cheapest options. Additionally "the end of November" puts you into the Thanksgiving holidays with airfares at a premium. Would you be willing to go the first week of December instead?

Very good point! Yes it can be the first week of December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,868 posts, read 14,239,419 times
Reputation: 9011
I flew directly to London last year for Thanksgiving. It was the cheapest ticket price for the year and my wife and I had the plane almost entirely to ourselves.

Domestic travel Thanksgiving day is a nightmare. International is fine so long as you can avoid stops. Think about it -- nearly everyone flying Thanksgiving is trying to get TO someplace in the United States. People flying out are like people driving the opposite direction during rush hour -- it's free and clear.

I travel Thanksgiving all the time -- but not domestically. I'll find a non-stop heading to someplace with reasonable November weather and take advantage of the holiday -- I don't have to take many vacation days to make it a full week. These are some of my favorite trips -- Thanksgiving abroad. Just avoid the businesses that try to cater to American expats with the world's worst turkey dinners.

Furthermore, November where I tend to go is ALWAYS low season or at worst, shoulder-season. Hotels are cheaper. Places are less crowded. Fewer tourists means a more pleasant trip for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 02:34 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
4,294 posts, read 3,078,115 times
Reputation: 4286
Go to Bahamas there you enjoy everything except wifi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
218 posts, read 275,923 times
Reputation: 201
Barcelona or Croatia may be right up your alley. Do research in regards to costs though.

I'd recommend Greece, but you need longer than a week to enjoy islands and parts that are not Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 PM
 
Location: NoVa
2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I flew directly to London last year for Thanksgiving. It was the cheapest ticket price for the year and my wife and I had the plane almost entirely to ourselves.

Domestic travel Thanksgiving day is a nightmare. International is fine so long as you can avoid stops. Think about it -- nearly everyone flying Thanksgiving is trying to get TO someplace in the United States. People flying out are like people driving the opposite direction during rush hour -- it's free and clear.

I travel Thanksgiving all the time -- but not domestically. I'll find a non-stop heading to someplace with reasonable November weather and take advantage of the holiday -- I don't have to take many vacation days to make it a full week. These are some of my favorite trips -- Thanksgiving abroad. Just avoid the businesses that try to cater to American expats with the world's worst turkey dinners.

Furthermore, November where I tend to go is ALWAYS low season or at worst, shoulder-season. Hotels are cheaper. Places are less crowded. Fewer tourists means a more pleasant trip for me.
This is the reason why I do my long haul flight every Thanksgiving. The plane is light, the price is MUCH CHEAPER than flying in December, especially around Christmas and New Year's holidays. And, if you fly to Europe in Thanksgiving, the chance for you encountering crying babies on the plane will be very slim. I went to London last Thanksgiving and the passengers were all adults / business travellers.

I hate turkey dinners and all the prep work that goes with it. I would much rather be galivanting in Hongkong or some other exotic places anyway. I'm heading to Singapore and Penang this Thanksgiving. Chili Crab, here I come...!

Last edited by graceC; 09-12-2014 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 PM
 
14,190 posts, read 6,419,666 times
Reputation: 14639
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the reason why I do my long haul flight every Thanksgiving. The plane is light, the price is MUCH CHEAPER than flying in December, especially around Christmas and New Year's holidays. And, if you fly to Europe in Thanksgiving, the chance for you encountering crying babies on the plane will be very slim. I went to London last Thanksgiving and the passengers were all adults / business travellers.

I hate turkey dinners and all the prep work that goes with it. I would much rather be galivanting in Hongkong or some other exotic places anyway. I'm heading to Singapore and Penang this Thanksgiving. Chili Crab, here I come...!
Cool, I went to Penang 8 years ago! The food is incredible & it is so freakin' cheap I couldn't believe it. Every time I ate I kept saying "I can't believe this was only $1!!!" Thai Ice served in a plastic baggie w/a straw....god I miss that. The thai iced tea you get here in thai restaurants just isn't the same. I'm excited for you & please come back & let us know how it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 02:31 PM
 
Location: NoVa
2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Cool, I went to Penang 8 years ago! The food is incredible & it is so freakin' cheap I couldn't believe it. Every time I ate I kept saying "I can't believe this was only $1!!!" Thai Ice served in a plastic baggie w/a straw....god I miss that. The thai iced tea you get here in thai restaurants just isn't the same. I'm excited for you & please come back & let us know how it was.
Thanks. Will do. I love Malaysian food and we have a Malaysian restaurant relatively close by called 'Penang' where we live. I look forward to tasting the real one this time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,868 posts, read 14,239,419 times
Reputation: 9011
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
This is the reason why I do my long haul flight every Thanksgiving. The plane is light, the price is MUCH CHEAPER than flying in December, especially around Christmas and New Year's holidays. And, if you fly to Europe in Thanksgiving, the chance for you encountering crying babies on the plane will be very slim. I went to London last Thanksgiving and the passengers were all adults / business travellers.

I hate turkey dinners and all the prep work that goes with it. I would much rather be galivanting in Hongkong or some other exotic places anyway. I'm heading to Singapore and Penang this Thanksgiving. Chili Crab, here I come...!
Exactly. I can either fight with the other shoppers for that tasteless frozen bird; or I can go have a nice place mostly to myself.

Thanksgiving is the BEST time to travel -- provided it's not in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2014, 03:18 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 4,332,580 times
Reputation: 1292
Honestly, airfare just kills a lot of these ideas. It is very expensive to fly to Europe, Asia, or Africa from the west coast. The bargain flights that are really available are too Canada or Mexico. Central and South America airfare isn't too bad with connections.

I'd recommend Costa Rica, Argentina, or Chile if you can get reasonable airfare. Tons of North American ex-pats and tourists down there, so language difficulties shouldn't be too bad.

I was looking to do an Inca Trail Hike in Peru and that was going to cost about $1,500 for the trip, including about $600 for an outfitter and guided hike if I did things on the cheap. I was planning on a 5 day hike, a day in Machu Picchu, and a day or two in Lima. If you take the train instead of doing the guided hike, you can stay in decent hotels.

Another plan was a 3 day trip to Buenos Aires, 1 day at a beach area and then 3 days in Mendoza near the Andes (Mendoza is the Napa Valley of Argentina).

Another was going to Mexico City, spending 2 days there, 1 day to see the pyramids, and then 3 days to climb the peak of Mt. Orizaba with a guide. That was about $1,500 too, but my friends bailed out on me in that trip. You really need to spent the few days in Mexico City to get acclimated to the elevation, as the base of Mt. Orizaba is 14,000 ft., so you can get altitude sickness if you don't. You can rent gear from the guide, you stay in rustic cabins shared with other climbers, your guide cooks for you, you spend one night to acclimate and practice walking with crampons, climb half way up the next day and then back down to further acclimate, and then climb all the way to the peak the third day. It is 18,000 ft. at the peak. Relatively easy and only about 1,500 ft. lower than Denali (which requires a 3 weeks or more to climb in insane weather conditions).

What's funny is that I heard these trips are full of Europeans and if you are friendly and keep in touch, you might have a couch to crash on a later trip. I got these three trips on my bucket list along with drift diving in Cozumel, which I am going to do this spring.

Last edited by slim04; 09-12-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top