Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times

Advertisements

I've visited most major cities in the States and around the world but never been to New York. It's time. I'd like to visit for three or four days this spring and go to a couple of Broadway shows, visit the major museums and the United Nations. Any advice on where to stay, best place to get tickets, which airport to fly into, transportation from the airport to hotel? Your input would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:20 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
New Yorker here (specifically, a Brooklynite). Accommodations (assuming you're looking into a hotel) will largely depend on budget and how central you want to be to things. But, given that I've never had to book a hotel in NY, I'll leave that to others to answer.

In terms of Broadway shows, I'd high recommend using the TKTS booth (https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths) to get discounted tickets. TKTS offers same day and next day matinee tickets at steep discounts (note, next day matinee tickets aren't sold at the Times Square location), up to 50% off. Note, however, that the most popular shows won't be at the TKTS booths as they have enough demand on their own to sell for full price. So, no Lion King or Wicked at these booths. Still, there is a great selection at these booths. I've personally bought tickets for Spring Awakening, Hairspray (back when they were on Broadway), and a few other shows from the TKTS booth, and have seen other great options each time I go.

As far as airports go, I'd recommend booking the best deals you can find. Getting to your hotel from either JFK or LGA will be pretty straight forward, whether you take public transportation or taxi. Note, one advantage of flying into JFK is that the airtrain connects to the subway, while you have to take the bus to the subway via LGA. Also, as long as you're in an area accessible to a subway, it won't be a pain getting from your hotel to any of the City's main attractions.

Good luck planning your trip!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
If you are looking to save money, I suggest getting a hotel room in Long Island City, Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan and therefore a very short 24/7 subway commute to all Manhattan destinations.

As for museums, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the American Museum of Natural History, the Museum of the City of NY and the Brooklyn Museum all have suggested contributions rather than fixed admissions so one can pay what one can afford to enter.

Also if you post this also on the NYC forum (not the NY state forum!) you will probably get more replies.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:39 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Fly into LGA.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
You also have Newark Liberty Airport, easy into NYC. I would choose the airport of the 3 that you get the cheapest flight into.

Ground Transportation - Newark Liberty International Airport - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

can't help on hotels as being only 40 miles from NYC never booked a hotel there

Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
A tip about using TKTS to get Broadway tickets ... make sure you arrive a full hour (at least) before they open. Pick your top three shows and determine your preference ranking. When you get to the window (the line moves FAST) they want you to make your decision quickly.

In addition to using TKTS, you can do some research before going to find out which shows have some sort of "Rush" system. Some of them will open their box office the morning of the show and sell a limited number of tickets at very low prices. Some of them will hold a lottery about a 90 minutes before the show. This past weekend, we entered the lottery for Idina Menzel's show "If/Then" ... the folks who were picked (not us) wound up with front of orchestra seats for $35. After the lottery, they had other seats to sell ... we were in the back of the lower mezz for $40.

Another tip ... if you go to any shows that feature celebrities, you may want to consider doing the stage door after the show. You've got to move fast after the show is over, go straight outside, and line up at the barricades. I was able to get Hugh Jackman to autograph the window card for his show "The River." (Swoon!) They're usually very gracious and will autograph your Playbill.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Thanks for the great input and links everyone! I'll check in on the New York city C-D site too.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You also have Newark Liberty Airport, easy into NYC. I would choose the airport of the 3 that you get the cheapest flight into.

Ground Transportation - Newark Liberty International Airport - Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

can't help on hotels as being only 40 miles from NYC never booked a hotel there
Only consider Newark Airport if you plan on staying in either Manhattan or New Jersey. If you book a hotel in Queens or Brooklyn, definitely fly into either La Guardia or Kennedy Airports.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Only consider Newark Airport if you plan on staying in either Manhattan or New Jersey. If you book a hotel in Queens or Brooklyn, definitely fly into either La Guardia or Kennedy Airports.
Agree

Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 AM

781 posts, read 744,063 times
As others said, the hotel really depends on your budget. I have stayed in the Hotel Pennsylvania a few times, it is somewhat run down but very centrally located (34th street and across from Penn Station) and reasonably priced. I stayed there last year for $100 a night, but it is not anything fancy. I would try to find a hotel in that area, you would be within walking distance of many tourist attractions and have great access to public transit.

I've taken the JFK Air Train (to the LIRR) to NYC and that was relatively simple.

Definitely check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you could easily spend a whole day there. Chinatown and Little Italy are cool to see and right next door to each other. It is a short walk from Chinatown to the Brooklyn Bridge. Another neat museum is the Skyscraper Museum in lower Manhattan, it is a quick visit and inexpensive. The High Line in NYC is a fun and free thing to do as well. If you are into rooftop bars with a sweet view of NYC check out 230 Fifth Ave, it is a bit pricey ($8 for a beer) and touristy but you get some great views of the Empire State Building. I would visit the bar during the afternoon and early evening, it is likely less crowded at that time.

Happy planning!

Last edited by Fiona8484; 01-20-2015 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: More ideas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel