U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM

6,436 posts, read 9,969,075 times

Advertisements

Tokyo, Osaka, Mount Fuji, then the Okinawan islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 02:19 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,355,616 times
The one part of Europe I've never been is also very high on my list: Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova and the Ukraine. I think visiting Transylvania should be interesting ... muuuuuhaha!

Old 10-06-2014, 01:29 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,473,443 times
It would definitely be the South Pacific -- Bora Bora, Fiji, New Zealand, and Australia. And it WILL happen. As I travel more and more, and to more exotic locations, I'm seeing that you can go anywhere on a relative budget and still have a great time. Nowhere is off limits anymore (well, except the obvious -- Iraq, Syria, Western Africa....)

Old 10-06-2014, 01:34 PM

120,082 posts, read 14,312,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I want to travel "The Silk Road" ... from Istanbul all the way to Beijing. I would like to see the fabled cities along the way: Ankara, Isfahan, Tabriz, Samarkand, Bokhara, Almaty, Kashgar, etc.
That is my dream too and also see New Zealand and parts of Australia

Old 10-07-2014, 10:28 AM

698 posts, read 526,135 times
Lots of great ideas here.

For me,

1 trip across US in an RV

2. Antarctica and the waters around it.

3. Alaska, I want to experience maybe a month in the coldness in a small town.

4 Newfoundland. I saw a movie once (the shipping news) and now the region fascinates me.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,221,779 times
Fly to London, see some sights, purposely skipping Old Curiosity shop, riding the Eurostar to Paris, seeing the sight.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:56 PM

679 posts, read 618,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
Have a meal with cannibals in the amazon jungle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I just went and repped all the posts so far that I would love to do myself. Basically all of them, lol!

My list also includes a castle tour of Europe, a stay on an Irish farm, an African safari, seeing the Northern Lights, and visiting the South Pacific and Japan.
Yipes hope not that one above you, lol! Who knew, so many cannibals outside of Hawaii?? (Hawaii local joke)

A few of the RTW trips so I know where to explore more in depth.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 AM

77 posts, read 94,567 times
I love talking about this stuff! So fun to think about...

My absolute must-do-before-I-die trip is to Japan. I have an ex-boyfriend who grew up there and continued to travel back occasionally for family. His stories and descriptions made me so curious about it. He was going to take me, but well, we broke up. What I really want to see:

1. Tokyo, of course. Just to people watch, eat some great food, meet some people, go to a nightclub.
2. The countryside, I don't even care where. I just love the look of the Japanese countryside that I see in movies and travel shows. There is something so elegant and exotic about it, it actually chokes me up when I see it! So many beautiful trees and plants.
3. Hot springs!!! Would love to go to a beautiful hot springs resort. Most likely a touristy one, because the traditional Japanese hot springs have separate pools for the men and women. Unless I wind up traveling with a female friend, then either one would be fine.
4. The hot springs monkeys! There is one cold snowy region with hot springs, a mountainous area where there are monkeys that have adapted to the cold by using the hot springs. The monkeys got "pushed" into this area because of urban/suburban construction. Kind of sad when you think about it, but amazing too. It's a tourist attraction --- visitors stroll across pedestrian bridges to look down at the monkeys in their pools.
5. Everything else I can see and do!!!!

Runners up:
Genova, Italy (Because my ancestors are from there, would love to do some genealogy work!)
Amalfi Coast, Italy (Looks so gorgeous but crazy expensive.)
Pittsburgh, PA (Whenever I see PNC park on TV, it looks like such a gorgeous place to watch baseball, and a nice city too.)

Thankfully at least one of my choices is affordable. Just not the first choice!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 AM

662 posts, read 1,394,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Yipes hope not that one above you, lol! Who knew, so many cannibals outside of Hawaii?? (Hawaii local joke)

A few of the RTW trips so I know where to explore more in depth.
Ah haha, I forgot that one - no I didn't like that one! Do cannibals really still exist anywhere?

I have one to add to my list: I used to keep pet rats and love them, so I'd love to visit the Karni Mata temple (Rat Temple!) in India someday.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:56 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni650 View Post
I love talking about this stuff! So fun to think about...

My absolute must-do-before-I-die trip is to Japan. I have an ex-boyfriend who grew up there and continued to travel back occasionally for family. His stories and descriptions made me so curious about it. He was going to take me, but well, we broke up. What I really want to see:

1. Tokyo, of course. Just to people watch, eat some great food, meet some people, go to a nightclub.
2. The countryside, I don't even care where. I just love the look of the Japanese countryside that I see in movies and travel shows. There is something so elegant and exotic about it, it actually chokes me up when I see it! So many beautiful trees and plants.
3. Hot springs!!! Would love to go to a beautiful hot springs resort. Most likely a touristy one, because the traditional Japanese hot springs have separate pools for the men and women. Unless I wind up traveling with a female friend, then either one would be fine.
4. The hot springs monkeys! There is one cold snowy region with hot springs, a mountainous area where there are monkeys that have adapted to the cold by using the hot springs. The monkeys got "pushed" into this area because of urban/suburban construction. Kind of sad when you think about it, but amazing too. It's a tourist attraction --- visitors stroll across pedestrian bridges to look down at the monkeys in their pools.
5. Everything else I can see and do!!!!

Runners up:
Genova, Italy (Because my ancestors are from there, would love to do some genealogy work!)
Amalfi Coast, Italy (Looks so gorgeous but crazy expensive.)
Pittsburgh, PA (Whenever I see PNC park on TV, it looks like such a gorgeous place to watch baseball, and a nice city too.)

Thankfully at least one of my choices is affordable. Just not the first choice!
I happened to have been to all including the runner ups in the past 3 years Japan and Amalfi this year, both wonderful places.
No idea why Pittsburgh attracts you. It is a nice city but there are many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or