U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,261,726 times

Advertisements

A true change of perspective or shock to the senses is difficult to achieve with just a brief visit.
For example, Florida wasn't much of a novelty since it just resembles here in the heart of summer. But the environment of Hawaii was just mind blowing, both times, because of so many unique attributes. It just has an absolute perfect climate, unbelievable beaches and warm water, and unreal scenery with virtually no air or light pollution.

For me, the biggest surprise was actually living in Canada (a very cold climate). Living in a place really forces your body to adapt to a drastic change in weather and forever changes your perspective. When just visiting in winter it just seemed like "no big deal, it's just a cold day in winter". But when that lasts on and on, and when it is ridiculously cold and with little sun for most of your existence it affects you on a chemical level, sucks the life and passion out of you, and changes you on every level. So I would say living in Canada was the biggest novelty, not in the first week or two weeks, but as winter dragged on and on and came back again without a "real summer" ever appearing. It was incredible to see that people have constructed an entire country out of such an inhospitable climate. Where I am, most people wouldn't even consider actually living further north than Vermont or Michigan just due to the weather. Now when people in NYC talk about how cold it is I just always want to say "you don't even understand what cold is"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 07:02 PM

679 posts, read 616,780 times
Yes the novelty wore off. We grew up in a northern climate and all 'big' vacations were climate based - to tropical places at first then we found ourselves wanting to see totally different places like Iceland, etc where climate did not matter at all.

We have retired in Hawaii because we found we enjoyed the tropics and being near the ocean. For vacations now we tend to think climate based again but in reverse, going to colder places sounds like a nice change now.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM

13,010 posts, read 6,222,149 times
I am a MA native as were my brothers and my mother. My dad was born in Puerto Rico but raised in NYC. When we were kids, my parents started taking weekly vacations to PR every February. Meanwhile, my brothers and I stayed at home while our grandmother took care of us.

Well...When I was 14, my parents decided to take us kids with them to PR. It was such a treat to leave behind snowy MA in February and get off the plane to sunny 80 degree weather! It was the first time in my life that I saw a palm tree. When the week was over, it was so depressing to go back to the cold.

The next year my dad got a job transfer to PR. I spent my last 2 years of high school there and never once missed winter. It was always a treat to go to the beach in January or February.

As newlyweds, my husband and I visited PR in December for a week. We returned to Boston to face 11 degree weather. After that, my husband said that when we go to PR again, it can't be in winter as it was too depressing coming back to the cold.

That said, if it were easy to live in PR, I could have happily stayed there and never missed winter. But alas!

Old 09-14-2014, 01:07 AM

956 posts, read 1,773,867 times
It wasn't much of a novelty honestly, the first time I ever did an extended trip to south Georgia(Saint Simon's Island, inbetween Savannah and Jacksonville), and later to Saint George Island(south of Tallahassee, east of Panama City), during the mid and late 1990s respectively. Both the St. Simon's and St. George trips were family reunion ones, btw. I was already used to really warm and humid weather, from various times traveling to the South to see family relatives, as both my parents are from that area.

Honestly, those trips on top of the long cold winter season in Chicago, not to forget the cool weather annoyingly spills over to a lot of fall and spring, only reinforces my desire to want to move to somewhere warmer someday. I don't care how many people I know oddly whine whenever it gets warm, in fact I'm sad that the weather isn't a lot warmer in Chicago! Since I do like the cultural amenities of Chicago, I've often thought moving somewhere within a few hours of Chicago would be a good compromise to also being somewhat closer to family relatives, such as Saint Louis, Indianapolis, or Cincinnati. I might lean towards Saint Louis, due to the fact they already have a good light rail system there(Metrolink, and there's talk about expanding it), and I appreciate the fact that(as an infrequent smoker, and not caring for the total smoking bans of Illinois) local smoking laws actually take the fair step of exempting bars from smoking laws. At least Indy and Cincy are both near areas, where bars are exempted from bans. And I know some will disagree with me on the smoking being allowed in select bars there(never minding the fact that many bars have already voluntarily eliminated smoking on their own, without any government imposed smoking ban!), but whatever.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 AM

368 posts, read 458,940 times
When I lived in Ct. we went on our honeymoon to St Lucia West Indies and I wanted to stay forever. Super humid, smelled like a florist everywhere and you enjoyed the brief rain. We went back a few years later and I felt like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now....The horror!! Couldn't stop sweating. After a week I got used to the heat and fell in love with the place all over again. I guess South Florida is the only place on the mainland that even comes close to tropical. That's why its so crowded, everyone wants to live in "paradise". I plan on moving there soon because I am sick of waiting 9 months for 3 to enjoy the outdoors.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 AM

225 posts, read 229,949 times
I'm from Northern Wisconsin, although I did live near the Gulf in Mississippi. I hated the humidity. Now...Southern California, I love. Lots of heat/rare humidity.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 AM

607 posts, read 1,168,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I think it should've more accurately been asked as "experiencing summer weather in the wintertime".

I live in and grew up in the NYC metropolitan area, but had/have a lot of family in all parts of Florida. As a kid, I visited them a lot, but it was always in the summer, so I didn't really notice much different (except that in Florida there seemed to be a short thunderstorm EVERY day, LOL!). As a young adult I went to Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, but again it was in the summer.

Finally, about 10 years ago I had a family function to attend in southern California that was in FEBRUARY so at in my mid 30s I finally experienced this. Now I almost didn't as it was "record cold" most of the week (which would be the equivalent of a near 'record warm' February day in NYC.....like high near 60 and low in the 40s). But the last 2 days were in the 80s, something I've never seen in February. It was different.....

I did win a trip to Tahiti the same year I experienced this and ended up going in June, not realizing that south of the equator it was "winter" there. You wouldn't notice it in the temperatures, but it was weird seeing the sun rise at 7am and set at 5:30pm in June.....
This reminds me of a time when I went to Folly Beach, South Carolina in October a couple of years back. It was weird seeing Halloween decorations up when it was 83 degrees outside and the leaves were still as green as can be on the trees, lol. Didn't quite feel right lol.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 AM

14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
I live in WI, have my whole life so far. Years ago I visited my ex in Malaysia. Holy crap. Walking out of the airport in Penang when the wall of humidity hit me I just went "PUUUUUUHHHHH!!!" God, hard to breathe. I was there for 3 weeks, I was planning to move there. That didn't work out & actually I'm glad. I don't think I could live in that climate. Yes, this winter was absolutely horrid to the point that for the first time in my life, I could relate to those who moved to warmer climates. Ultimately, I would miss the change of seasons. But for vacations yes, I can deal with the heat.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:47 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,591,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It's a bit difficult for me to try and catch the essence of my question in a small title, so it's best if you read this carefully.

If you live in the Northern USA, Canada, or Europe, was the first time you visited a tropical climate merely a climate novelty that no longer interests you much?

For example, I am from Canada. The first trip I made abroad (other than border towns in the USA) was when I was 19 years old. I was so ecstatic about going somewhere warm that this first trip ended up being to Spain and Portugal (which I am aware are not tropical, but same point), while a month later I visited Nicaragua to experience the tropics/jungle scene. Since then I have only been to one more tropical place, Yucatan Mexico. Even though I was dying to experience the heat and beaches for years and years before I travelled, they barely attract me at this point. I almost always prefer to visit somewhere in Europe or Northern Asia. This is despite the fact that before I would never consider anything that isn't warm no matter how interesting it might be. It's not that a tropical country can't be culturally fascinating, it's just a coincidence that they interest me less in general, and that I am no longer willing to go somewhere simply because of the climate.

Anyone else feel the same now that they have travelled more? Or travelled at all?
My first tropical experience was in Florida which I visited when I was 11.

It wasn't really a novelty but it did feel nice/weird. I enjoyed the rain and for the first few days me and my sister would go out and dance in the rain as we found it cosy.

I loved the landscape with the palm trees and white sandy beaches. It wasn't that exciting after a few days though, I travel every year so don't get as excited as other people.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:49 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,591,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
When I lived in Ct. we went on our honeymoon to St Lucia West Indies and I wanted to stay forever. Super humid, smelled like a florist everywhere and you enjoyed the brief rain. We went back a few years later and I felt like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now....The horror!! Couldn't stop sweating. After a week I got used to the heat and fell in love with the place all over again. I guess South Florida is the only place on the mainland that even comes close to tropical. That's why its so crowded, everyone wants to live in "paradise". I plan on moving there soon because I am sick of waiting 9 months for 3 to enjoy the outdoors.
Oh good. I love the smell of Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or