U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,851,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
They will unwrap them.
More than likely they won't, but it's really annoying on the rare occasion they do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

917 posts, read 1,056,509 times
Thanks everyone! Gifts arent wrapped, I just put them all in a gift bag. (A larger gift bag). I can probably squeeze it into my carry on if needed

Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,851,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Thanks everyone! Gifts arent wrapped, I just put them all in a gift bag. (A larger gift bag). I can probably squeeze it into my carry on if needed
This is what I would do, if possible ... one less thing to carry. I'd pack the gifts in the carry on, keeping the gift bag folded flat. When I arrived, I would make a pit stop at the arrival gate to arrange the gifts in the gift bag (I'm assuming that the gift bag is for someone picking you up? If not, this isn't necessary, of course)

Old 09-16-2014, 09:26 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,554,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's not a dumb question, just kind of worded oddly. The question is, I have a second carry on, it's a smaller paper bag, will that be OK? The answer is yes.
I'm not clear on all the things you're carrying, so I'll try to clarify.

You get to carry two items on. Generally, one is your personal item (purse/briefcase) and the other is whatever else it needs to be (computer bag or small carry-on suitcase, for example).

If you have a carry-on and a paper bag, that's your two items. You cannot, in this case, also have a purse unless you can put it inside one of the other bags.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM

556 posts, read 763,855 times
The TSA doesn't care how much stuff you carry, as long as everything is allowed on the plane according to their list of prohibited items (or the individual agents interpretation of that list, sigh). Southwest is actually pretty strict about carry on. Every time I fly Southwest the gate agent announces that passengers are allowed to bring a carry on and personal item, and everything the passengers carry must be in one those those bags. The example they give is if lady's are carrying a purse in addition to a suitcase and person item, they need to put the purse in one of the larger bags.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm not clear on all the things you're carrying, so I'll try to clarify.

You get to carry two items on. Generally, one is your personal item (purse/briefcase) and the other is whatever else it needs to be (computer bag or small carry-on suitcase, for example).

If you have a carry-on and a paper bag, that's your two items. You cannot, in this case, also have a purse unless you can put it inside one of the other bags.
Pssst, I'm not the OP. I think the OP was quite clear on what she was carrying on.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,546,534 times
Perhaps I can save you all some bits…
Southwest Baggage Policy
All commercial carriers will have a similar page somewhere online.

Last edited by otterprods; 09-16-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 09:54 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
The TSA doesn't care how much stuff you carry, as long as everything is allowed on the plane according to their list of prohibited items (or the individual agents interpretation of that list, sigh). Southwest is actually pretty strict about carry on. Every time I fly Southwest the gate agent announces that passengers are allowed to bring a carry on and personal item, and everything the passengers carry must be in one those those bags. The example they give is if lady's are carrying a purse in addition to a suitcase and person item, they need to put the purse in one of the larger bags.
I haven't flown SW in years, but that's how they were 12 years ago when I last flew them. There were two exceptions. First was a bag with medical supplies (and ONLY medical supplies) and second was a bag with your meal to be consumed on board.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM

917 posts, read 1,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This is what I would do, if possible ... one less thing to carry. I'd pack the gifts in the carry on, keeping the gift bag folded flat. When I arrived, I would make a pit stop at the arrival gate to arrange the gifts in the gift bag (I'm assuming that the gift bag is for someone picking you up? If not, this isn't necessary, of course)
It is a gift for the person picking me up. I can probably also squeeze my purse into my carry on bag and just carry the gift bag as well. I might do that. Just stuff everything in my carry on and when I get to Austin, throw everything back in the bag before they pick me up

Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,856,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I am flying out to Austin on Thursday and I have a gift bag with a few presents in there. Would this be considered a "carry on" along with my other carry on? I will be flying Southwest. I have a carry on I will be taking along with this gift. Just want to make sure its ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
yes it is a dumb question. Yes you can carry gifts but be sure that they are visible what it is. That happened to me.
Your response is really nasty and uncalled for. Re-read the OP's question. She's not asking if she CAN bring them. She's asking if they're considered "carry on".

melissa, when I travel, I try to use a small purse (if possible) and I use a medium backpack (one that fits TSA carryon standards) that way I can put everything in one bag which still leaves me open for one personal item. Safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel