U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Good for you. Conservation contest?
Nope. Just pointing out that with minimal effort this country could greatly reduce it's consumption of fossil fuels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Eh. Home energy use is only a small part of one's total energy footprint. How you get around in daily life, where your food comes from, how quickly you replace your electronics, how much you travel and how (and do you buy a carbon offset and such when you fly)....
True. We still have tube style TV's. We don't believe in replacing electronics until they are DOA. One of many reasons we have funds to travel.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:57 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,156,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Palestine (Palestina is actually Phalastina) is not a country. It has a low GDP due to the Gaza Strip being a Black Market economy and West Bank creating nothing and living off of donations form other countries and also being a Black Market economy. Try to find just one shanty town there. You will not find one. Look at photos of the territories and you'll see vastly numerous cars which are relatively new and not low end.
That's correct. You can call it a country or an occupied territory, I don't care, but the standard of living is very much "second world." The official figures are worthless.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 PM

371 posts, read 284,214 times
I liked Davy-040 categorizing of countries list.
Based on his list, 3rd world countries I have been to are Nicaragua, Ecuador, Peru, Morocco, Thailand, and The Philippines. And 4th world, Nepal.
Seems to me Thailand and Ecuador felt a bit more developed than the rest.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,137,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Professional View Post
I love to travel and have been to many countries around the world. My favorite destinations are places that are exotic and many of the most exotic countries could be classified as Third World. Seeing how the typical person lives in a third world country is eye opening.

I wonder if sometime in the future the people in the poverty stricken countries in Africa and Asia will be successful economically. And live like many people do in Europe and America.

What do you think after traveling to the Third World, is there hope for them in the next 10-20 years or not?
Yes most definitely, not sure about those oppressed and stigmatized by society.. as a financial whole, infra structurally, yes, I think there is hope.

Like in Viet Nam. It was truly devastating to see back then. Now it's one of the fastest booming economies.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 AM

200 posts, read 221,329 times
From the techno-optimist perspective:

Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think by Peter Diamandis. And he just glosses over most of the really optimistic stuff.

Please consider that the average middle class person today lives much better than the richest person in the world lived 100 years ago. 100 years ago there were lots more incurable diseases, fewer transportation options, no communication options like cell phones or internet, no computers or playstations, no television. Millionaires barely had indoor plumbing.

It is called progress and the pace of progress is accelerating. Expect to see 100 years of progress in the next 20 years.

Will the innovations of the first world make their way to the the third world countries? Yes, it will happen and quicker than most most people think. Instant communication and (non-instant) transportation options makes it inevitable. All it takes is a fully built out cell phone system and internet in the third world countries to let them see what it is like in the developed countries. Students from the impoverished villages studying in the U.S. will bring back knowledge and skills that will make their countries rich. Same with athletes, business people, politicians.

And most people in the U.S. with the least little bit of compassion will not tolerate the extreme poverty in the third world. It is just unacceptable. Global Citizen The people who truly care about ending the extreme poverty will make sure the rest of the world hears about the problem and gets involved to fix it.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
The people who truly care about ending the extreme poverty will make sure the rest of the world hears about the problem and gets involved to fix it.
One of the things I've learned with my volunteer work over the years is the sobering fact that simply put, you can't save them all.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,691,758 times
Quote:
Thanks. I spent a lot of time driving and backpacking through maxico in my 20s. It did not then and does not now really meet any definitions of third world. It's considered second world (developing). And more like the 1st (developed) world in coastal resort areas.
Third world and developing world are the same thing. The term "second world" was used for the Soviet Bloc countries. Of course, that term is irrelevant now, and therefore so is the term "third world". More accurate would terms like developed, partially developed , and developing.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 PM

671 posts, read 597,124 times
Quote:
So you prefer the majority of the world continue living in abject poverty forever in order to save power for you?
I'm Ghanaian. And yeah you managed to miss the entire point.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 PM

671 posts, read 597,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
One of the things I've learned with my volunteer work over the years is the sobering fact that simply put, you can't save them all.
One of the things I've learned is that westerners are the only people with a missionary complex bent on saving everyone. What you really need to do is save yourselves and leave us alone. We are not children but as long as there is someone handing over money, etc. there will always be a beggar who will put her bowl out instead of make the cash herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or