U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2016, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,371 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Reputation: 24208

Advertisements

So many of the impoverished 3rd world countries have a market dominated minority running the show, the Lebanese in West Africa, the Indians in East Africa, and even some African minority tribes like the Ibo.
In SE Asia you have the Chinese minority dominating the economies, whether it be the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia or Mayanmar.

And kicking the minority dominant millionaires out of the country hasn't solved many of the problems as well.

Indonesia gave a swift kick to the Chinese in 1998, and they still haven't recovered. Mugabe threw out the whites and look what happened there!

But there have been some success stories, like Ecuador & Bolivia, which turned to ethno-nationalism (not socialism) but ethno-nationalism, on the other hand, destroyed Zimbabwe.

Thailand owes its success to enforced assimilation of the Chinese. Meaning: no Chinese schools, no Chinese language, no Chinese television, and if someone from China moves to Thailand they can't bring their Chinese wives along, they must marry a Thai.

And that's sadly lacking in Myanmar, being raped every single day by the market-dominated Chinese, leaving a vast majority of the people impoverished.

The continual lowering of the fertility rate in the world will be a great help to many 3rd world countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2016, 10:00 AM
 
735 posts, read 431,303 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Do we? Care to explain?
South Africa was governed by the white people before 1994. The segregation was definitely unfair and unethical, basically the white part was America and the black(the majority) part was Africa.

After 1994, black people gained the power and that's the beginning of reverse discrimination. Many upper class white people were forced to leave South Africa. The founder of Tesla and PayPal is a white guy from South Africa, by the way. But it's almost impossible to run a globally competitive business in South Africa.

South Africa is no better than Newark, NJ today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 10:30 AM
 
85 posts, read 45,066 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So many of the impoverished 3rd world countries have a market dominated minority running the show, the Lebanese in West Africa, the Indians in East Africa, and even some African minority tribes like the Ibo.
In SE Asia you have the Chinese minority dominating the economies, whether it be the Philippines, Laos, Cambodia or Mayanmar.

And kicking the minority dominant millionaires out of the country hasn't solved many of the problems as well.

Indonesia gave a swift kick to the Chinese in 1998, and they still haven't recovered. Mugabe threw out the whites and look what happened there!

But there have been some success stories, like Ecuador & Bolivia, which turned to ethno-nationalism (not socialism) but ethno-nationalism, on the other hand, destroyed Zimbabwe.

Thailand owes its success to enforced assimilation of the Chinese. Meaning: no Chinese schools, no Chinese language, no Chinese television, and if someone from China moves to Thailand they can't bring their Chinese wives along, they must marry a Thai.

And that's sadly lacking in Myanmar, being raped every single day by the market-dominated Chinese, leaving a vast majority of the people impoverished.

The continual lowering of the fertility rate in the world will be a great help to many 3rd world countries.
Err the Ethnic Chinese of Thailand do not need to import a wife from China. What they have been doing is marry other ethnic Chinese. Most of the Chinese in Thailand are pure Chinese blood. Some have married natives but they are the minority.

Southeast Asia has a large ethnic Chinese population bigger than the entire population of Australia. They have lived there for three to four generations. There are 40 million ethnic Chinese (what we call overseas Chinese) the biggest diaspora in the world and 30 million are in Southeast Asia, they are considerably prominent in Singapore and Malaysia where they make up a high percentage of the population. They control the economies of these countries. Almost all the richest people in the Forbes rich list of these countries are ethnic Chinese.

Last edited by Islander7; 07-06-2016 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 AM
 
85 posts, read 45,066 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
No Africa country will be rich in the foreseeable future.

The last country to join the developed world is South Korea. Asia is where you can expect some developments. China and India are becoming richer than before, but neither will become a developed country.
I highly doubt that South Korea was the last country when there are poor white ex commie countries like Slovenia and Slovakia inserted into "first world" in the World Bank list provided in page 3 of this thread and no one even knows what they produce or what their economies are made of whereas South Korea actually has a functional industry going on.

And South Korea rose along with Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore the four were called four tigers from the 1960s to 1980s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Asian_Tigers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 10:55 AM
 
735 posts, read 431,303 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
I highly doubt that South Korea was the last country when there are poor white ex commie countries like Slovenia and Slovakia inserted into first tier under "first world" in the World Bank list provided in page 3 and no one even knows what they produce or what their economies are made of whereas South Korea actually has a functional industry going on.

And South Korea rose along with Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore the four were called four tigers from the 1960s to 1980s.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Asian_Tigers

South Korea became a developed country in the early 90s, which is a bit later than other developed economies in Asia.

Maybe Slovenia is just a barely developed economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 AM
 
85 posts, read 45,066 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
South Korea became a developed country in the early 90s, which is a bit later than other developed economies in Asia.

Maybe Slovenia is just a barely developed economy?
SK developed about the same time as Taiwan but later than Japan. Both TW and SK have taken the route of creating an electronics industry. Hong Kong moved from manufacturing to services.

Slovenia and Slovakia's per capita income is quite low in these rankings. I am unaware of what their economy is made up of... A lot of the EU countries like Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland get by through the protectionism and feed off the Germans, and don't really trade with other countries, they are not known for any products that I know of, no one knows what they make and they are not an important financial center like Hong Kong either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...al)_per_capita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
Reputation: 16496
No I do not think any will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2016, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
SK developed about the same time as Taiwan but later than Japan. Both TW and SK have taken the route of creating an electronics industry. Hong Kong moved from manufacturing to services.

Slovenia and Slovakia's per capita income is quite low in these rankings. I am unaware of what their economy is made up of... A lot of the EU countries like Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland get by through the protectionism and feed off the Germans, and don't really trade with other countries, they are not known for any products that I know of, no one knows what they make and they are not an important financial center like Hong Kong either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...al)_per_capita
South Korea did join that list a few years later than Taiwan did. It was then kicked out for a couple of years when the Asian financial crisis happened in 1997 where it was hit by the hardest, while Taiwan almost completely dodged it.


But look at us now... I guess that's karma, or fate.


And I would definitely not call Thailand a success... it's just a little bit more well-off than its neighbours, like by a hair. Except for Singapore and the oil-rich Brunei, SE Asia is just kinda all around ****ed-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM
 
Location: USA
15 posts, read 9,830 times
Reputation: 29
I'm originally from a country that people consider to be a third world country. The Philippines has been struggling for a long time with poverty and crime and violence and corruption. I love my country but I'm not afraid to admit that it has a lot of problems.

I think the Philippines has the potential to become a "rich" country like it used to be. From what I have read and researched, the Philippines was once the second richest country in Asia, and I wish it could go back to that. The problem is that our politicians are corrupt (I don't know or follow enough politics to know what to say about Duterte - I hear that he really fixed up Davao, I'm hoping that if it's true, he can do the same for Manila), and people do not have any discipline. With Duterte though, I think the criminals are afraid of him because he doesn't seem to have an issue with killing them.

Not a lot of Filipinos are patriotic. If there are a lot, I wish I could meet them. Filipinos complain about the crime and the corruption, but a lot don't really do much to help. Instead, they all want to leave. My mom did that. I understand that they want to live abroad so that they can give their families a better life, but all Filipinos ever do is leave their own country and never come back except to visit family. Sure, they send money home, but only to their family, and eventually, they petition their relatives and bring them abroad too. I know for a fact that my mom doesn't really care about the Philippines anymore, and I think my dad did but he's given up.

If people started caring more, it could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top