Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

I also didn't say your growth was due to foreign aid.
Actually, you did. Word for word.

Quote:
The only reason population is growing is due to the foreign aid you seem to detest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 09:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Actually, you did. Word for word.
I stand corrected. That said, humanitarian aid has been a catalyst for their growth. It has stopped famine and genocide, and drugs and education from Europe and the US have begun to quell their AIDS epidemic. If all of that suddenly stopped, where would they be?

Old 09-19-2014, 06:04 PM

674 posts, read 698,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Thinks back about the streets of Munich and Paris and notes that the most aggressive street beggars there were white.

As for Africa, it doesn't have a food problem; it has a food distribution problem. More effective road and train networks would help a lot. As would the reduction of tariffs on food imports.
I'm not speaking about street beggars. I'm speaking about people who rely on foreign aid and those who feel compelled to "save" said people.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. That said, humanitarian aid has been a catalyst for their growth. It has stopped famine and genocide, and drugs and education from Europe and the US have begun to quell their AIDS epidemic. If all of that suddenly stopped, where would they be?
You are hilarious. Now you stand corrected when another poster points out the same quote I already did. However when I did it you accused me of twisting words to make a point. Hypocrite much?

Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Nope, at least not the ones I have visited.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Professional View Post
I love to travel and have been to many countries around the world. My favorite destinations are places that are exotic and many of the most exotic countries could be classified as Third World. Seeing how the typical person lives in a third world country is eye opening.

I wonder if sometime in the future the people in the poverty stricken countries in Africa and Asia will be successful economically. And live like many people do in Europe and America.

What do you think after traveling to the Third World, is there hope for them in the next 10-20 years or not?
Well, the term "third world" is outdated, though in its practical sense, it is used to describe the extreme poor conditions of a country, or even areas of a country.

Though official terms, I hate the terms "developed and developing", they do not describe much, and as if "developed" countries are no longer in the process of "developing", and it seems "developing" countries are always in that states, forever and ever.

Sticking with the perceived definition of the term third world; yes, I have been to some, no, I do not think they will ever in the near, or even distant future, be anything other than what they are now. The only reason they will ever progress is if someone comes in and artificially does it for them, and the minute that artificial prop is removed, they will just go back to the way they are now.

I do not agree with the income classification for countries in their determination of first, second, etc world; infrastructure, institutions, etc are all part of the picture, income levels do not reflect that. A country can have low income levels, but generally great institutions and infrastructure.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
You are hilarious. Now you stand corrected when another poster points out the same quote I already did. However when I did it you accused me of twisting words to make a point. Hypocrite much?
So you are stating that your continent hasn't relied heavily and benefited from foreign aid? What a crock.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Though official terms, I hate the terms "developed and developing", they do not describe much, and as if "developed" countries are no longer in the process of "developing", and it seems "developing" countries are always in that states, forever and ever.
I hate the terms too but moreso because they imply that certain nations are on an inevitable path to become like other nations simply as a result of existing.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Professional View Post
I love to travel and have been to many countries around the world. My favorite destinations are places that are exotic and many of the most exotic countries could be classified as Third World. Seeing how the typical person lives in a third world country is eye opening.

I wonder if sometime in the future the people in the poverty stricken countries in Africa and Asia will be successful economically. And live like many people do in Europe and America.

What do you think after traveling to the Third World, is there hope for them in the next 10-20 years or not?
I'm currently on the island of Tarawa for work. It's the main island of the nation of Kiribati (pronounced KI-ree-bas). It's an incredibly poor place, and there's no tourism here to help it out. It's adopted a lot of the trappings of western culture, but the island is so small there's really no space to put all the garbage. The beaches, the water, and most of the other available space is filled with trash. There's simply no way this country is going to turn into a productive economy.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,426 times
Erm no and I really really don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel