Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this is news. I've been seeing envelopes (or at least note cards with the cleaning lady's name) in hotel rooms for quite a while now.
Same here, but I'm seeing them more often. I am currently in a hotel in Gainesville FL and there's an envelope in front of me on the desk encouraging me to tip my housekeeper.

"Your Housekeeper has tried to make your stay with us as pleasant as possible. If you wish to leave anything for your Housekeeper's effort, we are providing this envelope."

This isn't a fancy place, but the housekeeping is excellent. I never know what to leave. $5 for a 2 night stay?

This hotel charges a "service fee" and nobody can explain what it's for, only that free internet is provided. I think last time it was $2.50 a night. Why don't they just give it to the housekeeping staff? After all, if the internet is offered to guests free of charge, then it can't cost me $2.50, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:52 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
While the only time I'll tip my cab driver is if I receive help with my bags (and if I don't have bags, tough luck), I am very appreciative of the envelopes that are left behind on the mattress/dresser for tipping purposes. I've had a few bad situations where loose bills and coins were mistaken for tips during the mid-way point of my trip. This will help ensure that such errors (both on my part and on the housekeepers' part) don't occur.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
My family stayed in a hotel once and one day, toward the end of our stay, we saw good clean linen placed on the carpeted hallway where people walk with their street shoes, that really doesn't give you a good feeling when you go to sleep in the hotel bed. The room was neat as a pin, but I just couldn't get that image of the linen sitting on the public carpet where people that have been touring all day walk back and forth on. What happened to the linen cart? Or maybe there isn't one - they grab the linen from somewhere and they drop it on the carpet while they are changing linens in everyone's room. I wonder if that would be okay for the person that was changing the linen - would they have liked to sleep in a bed where the linen that had touched the ground. Even after all that, we left a good tip because our room looked "clean."

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Same here, but I'm seeing them more often. I am currently in a hotel in Gainesville FL and there's an envelope in front of me on the desk encouraging me to tip my housekeeper.

"Your Housekeeper has tried to make your stay with us as pleasant as possible. If you wish to leave anything for your Housekeeper's effort, we are providing this envelope."

This isn't a fancy place, but the housekeeping is excellent. I never know what to leave. $5 for a 2 night stay?

This hotel charges a "service fee" and nobody can explain what it's for, only that free internet is provided. I think last time it was $2.50 a night. Why don't they just give it to the housekeeping staff? After all, if the internet is offered to guests free of charge, then it can't cost me $2.50, right?
Seems strange. I would ask for the manager and ask exactly what the service fee covers. If they can't tell you, tell them you want it removed.

If it is for housekeeping, you need not leave more unless they have done something extra for you. (Brought more pillows, extra Kleenex, etc.). If it is not, $1-2 per person per day is appropriate, but never less than $2 if the room is clean. If you also get turn down service, an additional $2 (not per person) is appropriate for this service.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While the only time I'll tip my cab driver is if I receive help with my bags (and if I don't have bags, tough luck), I am very appreciative of the envelopes that are left behind on the mattress/dresser for tipping purposes. I've had a few bad situations where loose bills and coins were mistaken for tips during the mid-way point of my trip. This will help ensure that such errors (both on my part and on the housekeepers' part) don't occur.
I always tip a cab driver, although I really haven't taken a cab in a very long time. I never thought the tip had anything to do with luggage. I always wondered about an airport limo driver, however. Many people don't tip and some do. I guess doing what feels right is best.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Seems strange. I would ask for the manager and ask exactly what the service fee covers. If they can't tell you, tell them you want it removed.

If it is for housekeeping, you need not leave more unless they have done something extra for you. (Brought more pillows, extra Kleenex, etc.). If it is not, $1-2 per person per day is appropriate, but never less than $2 if the room is clean. If you also get turn down service, an additional $2 (not per person) is appropriate for this service.
I am now in a different hotel in a different city in Florida. I don't see any envelopes encouraging me to leave a tip. I realize a couple of bucks won't change my life, but If every hotel guest was as neat as I am, they'd have to lay off half the housekeeping staff. To be honest, if I didn't have so much trouble sleeping, I would have stayed in my car. I only wanted to get off the road since my back is killing me and I was getting tired of driving.

OTOH, I just ate one waffle across the street in Waffle House with a glass of water. Total cost was $3.25 plus tax. I gave the waitress a $1 tip. It's not her fault I don't eat much! However, that's a service she provides. She talks to me, takes my order and serves me the food. But when it comes to a hotel room, shouldn't it be clean when you arrive?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
I never tip cleaning staff and never will.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Let me be real blunt.

Marriott pays its housekeeper and most of the hotel staff very poorly. I know that from personal experience. They are also non-union and place a lot of pressure on the property management to keep it that way.

Placing an envelope in a room encouraging guests to contribute to housekeeping staff is much less expensive than increasing employee wages. In addition, if the practice of tipping housekeepers becomes a "standard", there will be a lot less pressure on management to increase wages.

As a customer, I am not buying into it. What is next? When I buy a car, should I throw in $100 for all the production line people who built it?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Everyone knows they’re expected to tip their cab driver and waiter. But few realize that they’re also expected to tip the people who clean their hotel rooms every day.
I don't tip somebody that I never see. I expect the hotel to pay them an appropriate wage.

I don't tip hotel room cleaners or Bust Buy shelf stockers or dozens of others that do their jobs well. A tip should be to encourage good service.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Let me be real blunt.

Marriott pays its housekeeper and most of the hotel staff very poorly. I know that from personal experience. They are also non-union and place a lot of pressure on the property management to keep it that way.

Placing an envelope in a room encouraging guests to contribute to housekeeping staff is much less expensive than increasing employee wages. In addition, if the practice of tipping housekeepers becomes a "standard", there will be a lot less pressure on management to increase wages.

As a customer, I am not buying into it. What is next? When I buy a car, should I throw in $100 for all the production line people who built it?
I agree. I've traveled extensively for decades and I never leave a room tip. I don't feel obligated to make up for Marriott's poor wage policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel