U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:23 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Today I had very good service in a small diner and my bill was $5 plus tax. I left $1.50 and figured 30% was a good tip, but maybe $2 would have been better. The waitress was busy or on break, so the short order cook took my order, made my meal and served me. I think he was the manager, but I'm not really sure. So you would have left him $5?
I wouldn't have. I would have done exactly as you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 AM

1,373 posts, read 823,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If they paid the employees more, the prices would go up and people would complain about paying too much for the food or whatever.

then that just proves the greed of big business and therein lies the problem

Old 01-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
then that just proves the greed of big business and therein lies the problem
News Flash: 87% of US restaurants are small businesses that are independently run.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM

5,474 posts, read 2,934,420 times
When I stay long term in a hotel (for a month for work a couple of times a year), I have them clean my room once a week. I tip them well so they will take care of my room, leave me extra stuff, and leave my stuff alone. It is interesting being a long term hotel guest because the Staff will go out of there way to take care of me. So... I find tipping them for outstanding service is appropriate.

If I am staying over night one or two nights, no I don't. If I am paying $100 or more for a room, what am I paying for? The pleasure of sleeping in a room and showering?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 PM

29,554 posts, read 16,514,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Today I had very good service in a small diner and my bill was $5 plus tax. I left $1.50 and figured 30% was a good tip, but maybe $2 would have been better. The waitress was busy or on break, so the short order cook took my order, made my meal and served me. I think he was the manager, but I'm not really sure. So you would have left him $5?
I might. Probably somewhere from $3 to $5. Anyone who serves should get at least a $3 tip.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
When I stay long term in a hotel (for a month for work a couple of times a year), I have them clean my room once a week. I tip them well so they will take care of my room, leave me extra stuff, and leave my stuff alone. It is interesting being a long term hotel guest because the Staff will go out of there way to take care of me. So... I find tipping them for outstanding service is appropriate.

If I am staying over night one or two nights, no I don't. If I am paying $100 or more for a room, what am I paying for? The pleasure of sleeping in a room and showering?
What about the hotels that require entry into a guest room at least once every three days. I believe it's the law in a handful of states, NH is one that somehow comes to mind--although it might be a different New England state I am thinking of.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:25 PM

5,474 posts, read 2,934,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What about the hotels that require entry into a guest room at least once every three days. I believe it's the law in a handful of states, NH is one that somehow comes to mind--although it might be a different New England state I am thinking of.
Thank goodness I have never stayed in that kind. Would drive me crazy having to put away my stuff that often. I try to make it easy for House Keeping and put away most of my stuff. I personally love the Sheraton where I get points for staying green and not having them come in.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Everyone knows they’re expected to tip their cab driver and waiter. But few realize that they’re also expected to tip the people who clean their hotel rooms every day.

That’s why Marriott says it’s launching its “The Envelope Please” campaign this week in partnership with A Woman’s Nation, a nonprofit founded by Maria Shriver, in some of its hotels. The hotel will place envelopes in 160,000 rooms in the United States and Canada with the name of the person who cleans the room and the message, “Our caring room attendants enjoyed making your stay warm and comfortable.

Hotel Chain Will Leave Envelopes In Rooms To Encourage Guests To Tip Housekeepers | ThinkProgress
Everyone? No, I don't tip cab drivers. They drive me to my destination and I pay the fare. I don't tip unless he help me with heavy luggages.

As to hotel cleaners, I do tip them modestly, but it is pretty disgusting that hotels are asking for this, as if they "care". If they care, why don't they pay them more?

I know there is the argument that if someone serves you, you should pay for the service. The argument should go both ways. What if the service is bad? Should I ask the hotel for some money back?

As to waiter, what should I tip if she let me wait for 10 minutes before bringing me the plates? Or brings me the wrong dish? or I need to ask 4 times before she brings some water? Should I still tip 15%? Am I being mean for not tipping for the lack of decent service? Should I ask her for money back if the services is horrible? The waiter can expect tips for good service, but should also be punished for bad services.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Everyone? No, I don't tip cab drivers. They drive me to my destination and I pay the fare. I don't tip unless he help me with heavy luggages.

As to hotel cleaners, I do tip them modestly, but it is pretty disgusting that hotels are asking for this, as if they "care". If they care, why don't they pay them more?

I know there is the argument that if someone serves you, you should pay for the service. The argument should go both ways. What if the service is bad? Should I ask the hotel for some money back?

As to waiter, what should I tip if she let me wait for 10 minutes before bringing me the plates? Or brings me the wrong dish? or I need to ask 4 times before she brings some water? Should I still tip 15%? Am I being mean for not tipping for the lack of decent service? Should I ask her for money back if the services is horrible? The waiter can expect tips for good service, but should also be punished for bad services.
As to the bolded, actually, yes. Many better brands have money back guarantees. I have used them and been refunded partial or whole stays when I had a valid complaint at Hilton and Marriott family branded properties.

As far as the server goes, you need to determine if it the server, the kitchen, or the auxilliary staff who is at fault before reducing a tip. I would never blame the server for the mistake of the kitchen unless it is obvious--my steak ordered rare is delivered burned to a crisp or my burger ordered with "everything on the side" arrives covered in vegetables and condiments for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel