U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:47 AM

6,156 posts, read 6,324,492 times

Advertisements

I am all over the place when it comes to tipping hotel staff. I often stay in hotels 200 plus nights a year. A couple years ago I stayed in hotels 350 nights for the year. By the time you tip the cleaner a couple dollars, the shuttle driver a buck each way and a buck for the comp breakfast it starts to add up. On top of that there is the tip for lunch, dinner, cabs, limos, curbside bag check in at airports, and various other things. If I were to tip everyone all the time it would be costing me $4,000 to $5,000 a year.

As far as tipping the room cleaner, if I leave the room on the messy side or if I have a special request above and beyond what I should already be getting then I will leave a tip. Also if I stay several nights and opt not to have the room cleaned daily then I will leave a tip for the cleaner having to finally clean the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I am all over the place when it comes to tipping hotel staff. I often stay in hotels 200 plus nights a year. A couple years ago I stayed in hotels 350 nights for the year. By the time you tip the cleaner a couple dollars, the shuttle driver a buck each way and a buck for the comp breakfast it starts to add up. On top of that there is the tip for lunch, dinner, cabs, limos, curbside bag check in at airports, and various other things. If I were to tip everyone all the time it would be costing me $4,000 to $5,000 a year.

As far as tipping the room cleaner, if I leave the room on the messy side or if I have a special request above and beyond what I should already be getting then I will leave a tip. Also if I stay several nights and opt not to have the room cleaned daily then I will leave a tip for the cleaner having to finally clean the room.
I agree that if I leave the DND out and decline service during my stay I'll only tip on the day I leave.

I don't tip self-serve breakfast bars (think Hampton or Holiday Inn Express). I do leave a dollar if it's partial service and a couple dollars for full service.

I tip shuttle drivers only if they help with bags. If they don't at least offer to help or if I only have my briefcase or crossbody I don't tip a shuttle driver. They all make at least minimum as an FYI.

The way I look at it, I probably average about $5 daily in tips (not including dinner) and travel 200 days a year. That's $1000 a year. I save at least that with meals paid for by the company, not to mention the various travel perks I earn. (Last year we took a two week vacation and every hotel was on points earned through business travel.) In the big picture I'm not going to miss $1000, but it could make a big difference to those who work in low paying jobs.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
When I was in graduate school, I worked in a hotel and have a couple of observations.

First, to be considered a "tipped employee" you have to have reasonable expectation of making a certain amount in tips. I do not think that MOST housekeepers meet the threshold.

Second, in that same hotel, MOST housekeeping employees did NOT sign up for the health care coverage as they were covered under Medicaid. And that company WA always on the list of "top x companies to work for."

Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 AM

225 posts, read 230,180 times
I always leave tips for the housekeeping people. However, I think it is tacky of the Marriott to leave these envelopes. It is something you might expect to see at the Day's Inn.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,247,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I despair, I really do. I tip the room cleaning ladies wherever I travel. Especially poor countries like Tunisia. When we visit Las Vegas, I tip the room cleaner before I leave. I do this because I want to, not because I feel I have to. This sort of thing, with envelopes to encourage tipping is wrong. These people clean rooms for a living. A tiring job. They get paid to do so, like so many other workers in the service industry. It is not right to try and blackmail people in this way. Marriott should pay it's workers properly, not try to make hotel guests pay them.
It is not blackmail.

I agree that the cleaning staff should be paid higher wages. But that isn't going to happen because this is America. There are organized, well-funded organizations dedicated to making sure that the cleaning staff earns subsistence wages. They shovel money at our legislators to insure that minimum wage laws remain firmly in the 1980s.

Meaningful change isn't going to change anytime soon. And employers aren't going to start voluntarily paying housekeepers more because people who work such menial jobs are looked upon as cogs in a machine, not people.

The Internal Revenue Service (Inland Revenue) knows which industries are traditionally tipped -- cab drivers, hair dressers, housekeepers, servers, etc. They tax these people based on the money they should be making, even if someone doesn't tip them at all.

So the person who doesn't tip isn't just not paying. Because of income taxes, they are essentially picking the pocket of someone who earns far less than they do.

This. Isn't. Blackmail. Does it really matter if you pay more by leaving a tip in an envelope or if you pay more at the check-in counter? You're going to pay for it either way.

Our system is stupid. But it is our system. Those who don't like it should vacation in Finland.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Big difference.

That said, I always leave a couple dollars for the housekeeper. I'd never miss it, but it could make a big difference in their life. My best friend put herself through college cleaning hotel rooms, and the tips made the difference between eating ramen and actually having some protein and vegetables on her plate.
We do as well and trust me I leave the room as if it was my own.
Sometimes walking out of a resort and the room doors are open as the maids are cleaning I am stunned at the condition some people leave the room in, no excuse for it.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
We do as well and trust me I leave the room as if it was my own.
Sometimes walking out of a resort and the room doors are open as the maids are cleaning I am stunned at the condition some people leave the room in, no excuse for it.
I have seen rooms that looked like a pack of wild boar had last inhabited them. I wonder if people live like that in a hotel what their home must look like.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,701,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Everyone knows they’re expected to tip their cab driver and waiter. But few realize that they’re also expected to tip the people who clean their hotel rooms every day.

That’s why Marriott says it’s launching its “The Envelope Please” campaign this week in partnership with A Woman’s Nation, a nonprofit founded by Maria Shriver, in some of its hotels. The hotel will place envelopes in 160,000 rooms in the United States and Canada with the name of the person who cleans the room and the message, “Our caring room attendants enjoyed making your stay warm and comfortable.

Hotel Chain Will Leave Envelopes In Rooms To Encourage Guests To Tip Housekeepers | ThinkProgress
I would leave a note in them saying
"Pay your workers a fair wage so they don't have to beg your customers for money"

Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 AM

24,807 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have seen rooms that looked like a pack of wild boar had last inhabited them. I wonder if people live like that in a hotel what their home must look like.
Same here! I couldn't believe my eyes...... we walked by the room, and the door was open. It looked like a bomb had gone off in there!!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:03 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,247,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would leave a note in them saying
"Pay your workers a fair wage so they don't have to beg your customers for money"

The housekeepers will truly appreciate the economics lesson. I'm sure that isn't on their minds every minute of every workday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel