U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:05 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I would leave a note in them saying
"Pay your workers a fair wage so they don't have to beg your customers for money"
Yup--that's really going to hurt the hotels. The only person you are hurting is the housekeeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,206,498 times
What about college kids with no money, who've been put into those rooms by relatives? They're supposed to stick their hands out to their benevolent uncles, and ask for 'tip money'? And how about poor relations at weddings, whose rooms have been put on someone else's tab?

What about working people whose rooms are being paid for by companies?

What about people whose rooms are being paid for by charities (like people staying near their dying children at some children's clinic)? And how about all the people who are in rooms paid for by others, for one reason or other, who really don't have the cash to leave tips? I really don't understand why room tips aren't itemized on the bill, if they are so bloody mandatory. Not everybody has a few Dollars to leave, every damn day. Plenty of travelers/hotel guests EAT on a couple of Dollars a day.

And what about cancer patients staying in hotels? I'm imagining poor old widows, broke and dying.. yet expected to shell our Dollars they don't have.

What about the times when we find ourselves without cash (and access to it), and can't be running around tipping?

Tips should be voluntary: totally VOLUNTARY. I avoid restaurants, because I hate tipping (worrying about the amount causes me major anxiety, on top of my food-safety anxieties), and schlep my own baggage, too (although, since I've stopped 'flying commercial', this is less an issue). I do always tip housekeeping, but I should not HAVE TO.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:30 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
What about college kids with no money, who've been put into those rooms by relatives? They're supposed to stick their hands out to their benevolent uncles, and ask for 'tip money'? And how about poor relations at weddings, whose rooms have been put on someone else's tab?

What about working people whose rooms are being paid for by companies?

What about people whose rooms are being paid for by charities (like people staying near their dying children at some children's clinic)? And how about all the people who are in rooms paid for by others, for one reason or other, who really don't have the cash to leave tips? I really don't understand why room tips aren't itemized on the bill, if they are so bloody mandatory. Not everybody has a few Dollars to leave, every damn day. Plenty of travelers/hotel guests EAT on a couple of Dollars a day.

And what about cancer patients staying in hotels? I'm imagining poor old widows, broke and dying.. yet expected to shell our Dollars they don't have.

What about the times when we find ourselves without cash (and access to it), and can't be running around tipping?

Tips should be voluntary: totally VOLUNTARY. I avoid restaurants, because I hate tipping (worrying about the amount causes me major anxiety, on top of my food-safety anxieties), and schlep my own baggage, too (although, since I've stopped 'flying commercial', this is less an issue). I do always tip housekeeping, but I should not HAVE TO.
I spend an average of 200 nights a year in a hotel. I tip. it's out of my pocket, even though my employer is paying for the hotel room.

I have also traveled and stayed in hotels several times this year for medical treatment. That's on my dime. I still tip. My out-of-pocket for medical this year--not transportation or hotels--is nearing the five figure range. I'm not going to not tip because I have bills. Housekeepers do as well. If people can't leave a tip daily, then they should leave the Do Not Disturb out.

By the way, people staying Ronald McDonald Houses or similar are not expected to tip.

As far as the college kids, they don't need or get daily housekeeping. Once a week they can leave two bucks on the counter when the room gets cleaned. It's one less beer. Ah well.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yup--that's really going to hurt the hotels. The only person you are hurting is the housekeeper.
Why will it hurt Housekeepers? Because their salary is low. Hotels do not value their work-they dont want to pay them wages. Once Tipping culture starts, the Hotel Groups will get an excuse to further lower the wages that See-you get the tips. Hotels can prevent the hurting by raising their wages-but they will NOT.
If their employer (Hotels) do not value their work and do not wish to give them salary, how can you expect customers to pay them tips?
Employer (Hotel Groups) are turning their employees (Housekeeping Staff) into Beggars by Tip Culture.

Here is an example of how culture of TIPS is taken as an excuse to reduce the salary and further push the workers in Poverty.

Airport wheelchair agents will get less than minimum wage, contractor tells workers - NY Daily News

Last edited by munna21977; 09-17-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 05:51 PM

12,578 posts, read 15,046,057 times
Just like any other business, I will tip if the service warrants it.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Since when it's my job to make sure people get paid enough?
I'm not the one that hire them or the one that took the job with a crappy pay
but now is my responsibility to make sure that they make enough money to survive?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 PM

6,558 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Everyone knows they’re expected to tip their cab driver and waiter. But few realize that they’re also expected to tip the people who clean their hotel rooms every day.[/url]
Nothing wrong with this. I've seen it in other places and nobody is forcing you to tip anyone. I don't always leave a tip unless I've stayed two or more days or I'm out of the country someplace. A friend I know takes a stack of $2 bills when travelling abroad for this purpose.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM

522 posts, read 555,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Everyone knows they’re expected to tip their cab driver and waiter. But few realize that they’re also expected to tip the people who clean their hotel rooms every day.

That’s why Marriott says it’s launching its “The Envelope Please” campaign this week in partnership with A Woman’s Nation, a nonprofit founded by Maria Shriver, in some of its hotels. The hotel will place envelopes in 160,000 rooms in the United States and Canada with the name of the person who cleans the room and the message, “Our caring room attendants enjoyed making your stay warm and comfortable.

Hotel Chain Will Leave Envelopes In Rooms To Encourage Guests To Tip Housekeepers | ThinkProgress
Or an even better idea. Why doesn't Mariott actually pay it's staff a proper salary so they don't have to rely on non-existent tips?! Brilliant, I know! Most of those women and men have to take pain killers because it is such a vigorous job. Thwarting them a proper wage and asking customers to pay in the name of charity is ridiculous.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,389,903 times
I rarely ever tip Housekeepers. For the most part, the I am not a messy person and the room never needs extensive cleaning. The Hotels should not expect its customers to supplement its workers incomes. There is a few times over the years that I have left a tip. When I was young and dumb me and and some friends went on a trip. We got real drunk and left a huge mess of the room. I left a huge tip for the housekeeper and a apology note

Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Since when it's my job to make sure people get paid enough?
I'm not the one that hire them or the one that took the job with a crappy pay
but now is my responsibility to make sure that they make enough money to survive?
Yes, it is.

You are receiving the service and not paying for it. The reason the employer isn't paying for it is he has hired a bunch of lobbyists to shovel money at Congress to keep minimum wages stuck in the 1980s. The employer isn't going to pay a living wage because customers click on the cheapest hotel (and airplane ticket) online. The market has spoken.

I leave the DND sign on my door until I leave and then tip on the last day. The housekeeper doesn't have to clean my room for most of the time I am there. That's less time they have to worry about me, and more time for the other rooms. Some of which look like a group of orangutans had a battle last night.

It has been my experience that housekeepers are also quite happy to give me towels from their cart when I see them wheeling it down the hall. I drop old towels into their "bag of linen" and I get fresh towels. Works for me.

When people accept a service that is traditionally done for tips, they should tip. I've been tipping housekeepers my entire life. This is not a new practice. When people stiff a service worker, the service worker is usually still on the hook for income taxes (the IRS has really cracked down on tipped workers), but they didn't actually receive the income. That's like picking their pocket. And I'm not going to steal from someone who makes 1/10th my wages. I don't need that kind of karma hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel