U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,013,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
That is not a new thing here in EU where ever I traveled I left tip. But yes some people so greedy for few cash to leave for the cleaning people. I have seen from my own eyes once when I was in Lexington New york city. few years back, There was a couple who was very famous, face is everywhere, triathlete, fundraiser, chair person, actor for a long time Naval advocate series but this couple had a huge fight in the lift, why? the Man left a 5 dollars to cleaning lady! Unbelievable how some people are. For me even there is no sign I am always tipping them as giving my thanks for their hard work. But in some hotels there is a note with saying "please don't tip it is already added to your bill"
It was driving me crazy, so i figured out who this couple was. David James Elliott (plays Harmon Raab on the TV show JAG) and his actress wife Nanci Chambers. Zeurch, you must have been a fan of the show. I would never have recognized them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Additionally the employee who says she can't afford the group plan should have looked into ObamaCare--if her income is as low as she claims, it will be subsidized.
The article in question was from 2011, long before ObamaCare. I'll also add that very few people qualify for subsidies when an employer based plan is in place when the employer pays a portion of the premium.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-18-2014 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
[quote=annerk;36544717]Why would he take US currency to tip someone in another country?

I'd also say that many foreign banks and workers have no idea what a US $2 bill is and won't except it or think it's a joke. If he really wants to be nice, He'll get small bills and coin in the local currency and use that to tip. My nephew got a Canadian $5 bill as a tip a few weeks ago at a resort in Florida. It's useless to him.[/quote]

Tips should always be Local Currency. This will save them a trip to the Bank/Currency exchange.
Why is that useless? I have always deposited Foreign currency notes from my trips abroad in my Bank (Wells Fargo) and they take it with their normal rates. If banks have no problem accepting Pounds, Euros and Rupees, I dont think that any Bank will refuse to deposit Canadian Dollar unless he do not have a Bank Account.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,247,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why is a hotel housekeeper worth a tip more than the clerk/stock person at the Dollar Store?
Are you British?

Who cares why. Why doesn't matter. People who work in traditionally-tipped jobs have the IRS taxing them on tip income whether they make it or not. Google it. This is fact.

The retail clerk (who may indeed score the occasional tip) is not paying income taxes on tips. The server and cab driver is. That's reality. They don't need an economics lesson from people who don't agree with the practice. They need tips.

Leave the economics discussion for places like this. Tip the people who serve you until such time that we abolish this ridiculous system and pay people decent wages.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
[quote=munna21977;36545567]
Quote:
Why would he take US currency to tip someone in another country?

I'd also say that many foreign banks and workers have no idea what a US $2 bill is and won't except it or think it's a joke. If he really wants to be nice, He'll get small bills and coin in the local currency and use that to tip. My nephew got a Canadian $5 bill as a tip a few weeks ago at a resort in Florida. It's useless to him.[/quote]

Tips should always be Local Currency. This will save them a trip to the Bank/Currency exchange.
Why is that useless? I have always deposited Foreign currency notes from my trips abroad in my Bank (Wells Fargo) and they take it with their normal rates. If banks have no problem accepting Pounds, Euros and Rupees, I dont think that any Bank will refuse to deposit Canadian Dollar unless he do not have a Bank Account.
He has a bank account, but gets charged to make any transactions at the counter. The fee for using a teller would be more than the value of the bill.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It was driving me crazy, so i figured out who this couple was. David James Elliott (plays Harmon Raab on the TV show JAG) and his actress wife Nanci Chambers. Zeurch, you must have been a fan of the show. I would never have recognized them!
I've never heard of them, but then again I don't watch much television. If they aren't on PBS documentaries or Big Bang Theory (my secret guilty pleasure) I wouldn't have a clue who they were unless they were someone like Kelsey Grammer or Betty White who have been around forever.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:54 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,701,220 times
Quote:
Don't tip. Your choice. No one is making you do so. But I'd hide my toothbrush when I leave the room.
No need for that, I don't let them clean my room unless I stay there more than 3-4 days

Old 09-18-2014, 12:56 PM

20,750 posts, read 13,756,075 times
If a hotel feels that housekeepers *should* receive gratuity then go the route of many restaurants and add it to the bill. Oh wait there is already a spot for maid service bundled into the total amount due. So now they want *more*?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM

522 posts, read 555,593 times
Quote:
First of all they aren't all taking painkillers. Ridiculous.

Second, when the economy tanked, Marriott was the ONLY hotel chain who didn't lay off a single worker and kept all the benefits for them.

Marriott pays more than minimum wage, even for service positions. My nephew worked there a few years back and was making $8.50 plus tips plus benefits which included health insurance and 401K in a guest service position.
Whatev's. I guess since your nephew only makes 8.50 an hour then that makes him just like the "peasants" you don't want to ride with on planes?

(FYI for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, annerk stated on another thread that she wants airlines to raise their prices so she doesn't have to ride with the "peasants" in economy class. How sad.)

Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Whatev's. I guess since your nephew only makes 8.50 an hour then that makes him just like the "peasants" you don't want to ride with on planes?

(FYI for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, annerk stated on another thread that she wants airlines to raise their prices so she doesn't have to ride with the "peasants" in economy class. How sad.)
No, that nephew is now a computer programmer for a large corporation making $80K. It was a job while he was in college. The other one is working bag services at a resort while he goes to college. (The one who got the Canadian money.)

As far as raising airline prices, I think they should do so in order to add pitch. Those who don't want to pay for more space can opt for airlines like Spirit.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM

300 posts, read 307,853 times
This whole tipping thing is getting sickening. I always tip well but it should be OPTIONAL and should apply for GOOD to EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE. It's getting to the point that now even if the service is subpar, the person doing the service is still expecting a tip and barely says thank you when you give one. I agree with others... PAY the workers more and stop looking to customers to make up the workers' salaries. The tips should be EXTRA, not the MAIN part of their salary.

Furthermore, I'm getting tired of hearing about how everyone works so hard and needs a tip, as if the people staying at these hotels are Rockefellers. I usually do 20% and now I'm hearing that even that isn't good enough.

This article sums it up for me:

http://www.newlywedsonabudget.com/20...ut-of-control/

Last edited by hhp3333; 09-18-2014 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel