U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 PM

2,979 posts, read 2,704,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford
Whatev's. I guess since your nephew only makes 8.50 an hour then that makes him just like the "peasants" you don't want to ride with on planes?

(FYI for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, annerk stated on another thread that she wants airlines to raise their prices so she doesn't have to ride with the "peasants" in economy class. How sad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No, that nephew is now a computer programmer for a large corporation making $80K. It was a job while he was in college. The other one is working bag services at a resort while he goes to college. (The one who got the Canadian money.)

As far as raising airline prices, I think they should do so in order to add pitch. Those who don't want to pay for more space can opt for airlines like Spirit.

Instead of requesting the airline raise its prices, why don't you just pay a lot more and fly first class so that you don't have to sit in the back with peasants like me? Airline ticket prices to Europe have gone up drastically in the past 5 or 6 years. Are you happy, or do you still want them to go up more? Do you own stock in the airlines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,305,516 times
Never heard of this. Employers can't just "decide" that the tradition is to tip their underpaid workers.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:38 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford
Whatev's. I guess since your nephew only makes 8.50 an hour then that makes him just like the "peasants" you don't want to ride with on planes?

(FYI for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, annerk stated on another thread that she wants airlines to raise their prices so she doesn't have to ride with the "peasants" in economy class. How sad.)

Instead of requesting the airline raise its prices, why don't you just pay a lot more and fly first class so that you don't have to sit in the back with peasants like me? Airline ticket prices to Europe have gone up drastically in the past 5 or 6 years. Are you happy, or do you still want them to go up more? Do you own stock in the airlines?
First of all, I do fly first class. Second, if you'd like to refer to yourself as a peasant, have at it. But don't imply I ever used that word. I did not.

Lastly, flights to Europe have gone up. So have gas prices. If anything surface fuel prices have gone up much more by ratio.

For the record, I own no individual airline stock, although I can't say that none of my mutual funds are invested in them. They may be, I'm not sure. If they are it's certainly not enough to make a difference one way or the other.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 PM

522 posts, read 555,523 times
Quote:
First of all, I do fly first class. Second, if you'd like to refer to yourself as a peasant, have at it. But don't imply I ever used that word. I did not.
Umm, yes you did! Are you experiencing memory loss? Then you went on to say something along the lines of "Let's only hope the airlines increase the ticket expense so that those who belong on the Greyhound bus stay there!"

Next are you gonna start denying the bragging statements you made about the money you got from your fathers passing? I never cease to be amazed by the change in this woman's stories. Tsk tsk tsk...

Old 09-18-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Umm, yes you did! Are you experiencing memory loss? Then you went on to say something along the lines of "Let's only hope the airlines increase the ticket expense so that those who belong on the Greyhound bus stay there!"

Next are you gonna start denying the bragging statements you made about the money you got from your fathers passing? I never cease to be amazed by the change in this woman's stories. Tsk tsk tsk...
Show me where I ever used the word "peasants." You can say what you want, but you can't prove it, because it's simply not there.

I also never stated I made a cent when my father passed away. Again, find the post and put a link here. I'll save you the trouble, it's not there, I never wrote it.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:07 PM

20,673 posts, read 8,819,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I remember as a child staying at hotels with my parents and that my mother always left tips for the hotel maids/cleaning staff.

But I think that the hotels should pay their cleaning staff appropriate wages so that tipping isn't necessary as guests pay for a room which includes daily cleaning.

What nonsense. You use the services and they clean up after you. You most certainly should tip them.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
Quote:
Show me where I ever used the word "peasants." You can say what you want, but you can't prove it, because it's simply not there.

I also never stated I made a cent when my father passed away. Again, find the post and put a link here. I'll save you the trouble, it's not there, I never wrote it.
You don't need to use the word "peasants" to have a bad attitude. I remember the Greyhound bus wisecrack as well. You have a contemptuous, dismissive attitude towards people with differing opinions and experiences. This comes through loud-and-clear in just about every thread that you visit.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You don't need to use the word "peasants" to have a bad attitude. I remember the Greyhound bus wisecrack as well. You have a contemptuous, dismissive attitude towards people with differing opinions and experiences. This comes through loud-and-clear in just about every thread that you visit.
Ah, backtracking are you? Admit it, you LIED when you stated I that used the word "peasants" when it fact it was YOUR word. Additionally you LIED about me inheriting some fabulous amount from my father, when in fact I stated that I had inherited some books and other items of purely sentimental value. Get your facts straight and stop LYING and accusing others of things that simply aren't true.

I tell it like it is. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:19 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Quote:

As far as raising airline prices, I think they should do so in order to add pitch. Those who don't want to pay for more space can opt for airlines like Spirit.
Never gonna happen. Wall Street and the stockholders want profits not customer comfort. Those customers who demand vomfort will continue paying extra for certain seats, business class and first class. Exactly what you already do, annerk, and exactly what you demand of others if they have longer than average legs.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Never gonna happen. Wall Street and the stockholders want profits not customer comfort. Those customers who demand vomfort will continue paying extra for certain seats, business class and first class. Exactly what you already do, annerk, and exactly what you demand of others if they have longer than average legs.
I'm fine with that, if those who want/need more space would stop whining and just buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel