U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But it's also a great indicator of "who isn't making enough to make ends meet." (Keep in mind, I think people aren't making ends meet because they take on way too much debt and spend most of their paycheck on monthly payments.) But still, all of those tip jars are America's wage disparity in its most blatant form.
20 years ago people still tipped wait staff etc but those tip jars were unheard of.

Problem is are we the public willing to absorb the cost of a living wage if employers started paying because you know prices would jump....In the Dunkin Donuts by me those people are making more than the NJ minimum wage, how much is enough for someone who is pouring coffee and getting you a donut?

It's a heated debated subject, I tip people who I deem are doing more for me than just pouring coffee, like the hotel maid who is cleaning my room and making up the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:52 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Problem is are we the public willing to absorb the cost of a living wage if employers started paying because you know prices would jump....

....by mere pennies. I'd rather pay a little more and not have to bother with tips. But that isn't reality. Reality is that people aren't making enough to live on. If I receive their services, I am on the hook to tip them. It amounts to cultural and economic extortion. But the people who receive tips do not need an economics lecture from me. What they need is tips.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,656,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't think I've ever tipped a hotel maid in my life. My family also has a tendency to utterly trash rooms too. Oh well. As the kids say, YOLO.
So you're the one! I was wondering who did that.

I always leave a few bucks on the dresser. Without fail. Usually with a note that says, "Thank you!" In fact we taught our kids to say hello to the housekeepers and to be respectful to the custodians who are working extra-hard cleaning up the rooms your family chooses to (as you so descriptively put it) utterly trash. Yes. We're the family saying "Hola" to the woman pushing the cart down the hallway. The one who spends her days changing sheets and cleaning toilets.

Oh. We're also the people getting treated like royalty.

Karma.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 PM

4,148 posts, read 3,159,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
...be respectful to the custodians who are working extra-hard cleaning up...
What does "extra-hard" mean, and what's the difference between "hard" and "extra-hard?"

I tip for every stay, and I stay often in hotels. It's common practice, a tradition, but to be honest, I have no idea why really. Neither do you...

Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
I know why. The people I am supposed to tip are taxed on their tips, whether they make tips or not. Because the IRS has already built-in percentages for traditionally tipped workers.

Not tipping these people means that they are taxed on money that they did not make. That is not just unfair. It is unrealistic.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I know why. The people I am supposed to tip are taxed on their tips, whether they make tips or not. Because the IRS has already built-in percentages for traditionally tipped workers.

Not tipping these people means that they are taxed on money that they did not make. That is not just unfair. It is unrealistic.
First, I wasn't asking you why. Secondly, can you provide a link to IRS to back up your claim? Third, is it reasonable to expect from us to know the IRS code for the ramifications our $ 3 has?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:14 AM

19,788 posts, read 19,895,713 times
Quote:

How many times does this misinformation have to be corrected???

Old 09-24-2014, 05:38 AM

8,792 posts, read 5,655,771 times
People should be paid adequately for all jobs and tipping abolished. It does nothing but shift the load of providing payment for service from all to the few or many who do tip. Adequate pay will shift that payment load back to ALL who use the service - as it should be.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Besides my questions I asked you on post # 86 -- if this (IRS taxes housekeepers based on estimated tips) were true -- explain this:

I tip waiters based on service quality. Very rarily I have not tipped 20% or more. But there have been a couple of times I did not tip because service was poor. I was disgusted by their service, so zero tip.

Are you saying that I should have tipped nonetheless, because of issues waiters have with the IRS?

Your logic sounds more illogical the more I think about it.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
People should be paid adequately for all jobs..
How is that done? And can you define what "adequately paid" means, and who decides what it means?

And could you explain your proposal by using an Active Tense, i.e. "this person or entity does this." And why is that person doing this or that? I.e. what pushes that person to act that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel