Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:28 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
When people accept a service that is traditionally done for tips, they should tip. I've been tipping housekeepers my entire life. This is not a new practice. When people stiff a service worker, the service worker is usually still on the hook for income taxes (the IRS has really cracked down on tipped workers), but they didn't actually receive the income. That's like picking their pocket. And I'm not going to steal from someone who makes 1/10th my wages. I don't need that kind of karma hit.
That applies to employees such as waiters/waitresses who legally are paid less than minimum wage.
Simply being a low (usually meaning minimum ) wage earner is not the same.
Otherwise, you all should be tipping every minimum wage earner you deal with. Do you?
Why is a hotel housekeeper worth a tip more than the clerk/stock person at the Dollar Store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Or an even better idea. Why doesn't Mariott actually pay it's staff a proper salary so they don't have to rely on non-existent tips?! Brilliant, I know! Most of those women and men have to take pain killers because it is such a vigorous job. Thwarting them a proper wage and asking customers to pay in the name of charity is ridiculous.

Because they don't have to and the employees are unlikely to unionize (although some of their properties are unionized).

Yet, they get "top employer status" because they have "family friendly" employment policies.

I paid more out of pocket for my health insurance in 1989 with them than I did with my next employer .... in 2012 !! The coverage were similar.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Why will it hurt Housekeepers? Because their salary is low. Hotels do not value their work-they dont want to pay them wages. Once Tipping culture starts, the Hotel Groups will get an excuse to further lower the wages that See-you get the tips. Hotels can prevent the hurting by raising their wages-but they will NOT.
If their employer (Hotels) do not value their work and do not wish to give them salary, how can you expect customers to pay them tips?
Employer (Hotel Groups) are turning their employees (Housekeeping Staff) into Beggars by Tip Culture.

Here is an example of how culture of TIPS is taken as an excuse to reduce the salary and further push the workers in Poverty.

Airport wheelchair agents will get less than minimum wage, contractor tells workers - NY Daily News
Total BS that most people don't tip. People do tip pushers in airports. Maybe not everyone, but in the long run they make an average of at least $10 an hour.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Since when it's my job to make sure people get paid enough?
I'm not the one that hire them or the one that took the job with a crappy pay
but now is my responsibility to make sure that they make enough money to survive?
Don't tip. Your choice. No one is making you do so. But I'd hide my toothbrush when I leave the room.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Nothing wrong with this. I've seen it in other places and nobody is forcing you to tip anyone. I don't always leave a tip unless I've stayed two or more days or I'm out of the country someplace. A friend I know takes a stack of $2 bills when travelling abroad for this purpose.
Why would he take US currency to tip someone in another country?

I'd also say that many foreign banks and workers have no idea what a US $2 bill is and won't except it or think it's a joke. If he really wants to be nice, He'll get small bills and coin in the local currency and use that to tip. My nephew got a Canadian $5 bill as a tip a few weeks ago at a resort in Florida. It's useless to him.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Or an even better idea. Why doesn't Mariott actually pay it's staff a proper salary so they don't have to rely on non-existent tips?! Brilliant, I know! Most of those women and men have to take pain killers because it is such a vigorous job. Thwarting them a proper wage and asking customers to pay in the name of charity is ridiculous.
First of all they aren't all taking painkillers. Ridiculous.

Second, when the economy tanked, Marriott was the ONLY hotel chain who didn't lay off a single worker and kept all the benefits for them.

Marriott pays more than minimum wage, even for service positions. My nephew worked there a few years back and was making $8.50 plus tips plus benefits which included health insurance and 401K in a guest service position.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Yes, it is.

You are receiving the service and not paying for it. The reason the employer isn't paying for it is he has hired a bunch of lobbyists to shovel money at Congress to keep minimum wages stuck in the 1980s. The employer isn't going to pay a living wage because customers click on the cheapest hotel (and airplane ticket) online. The market has spoken.

I leave the DND sign on my door until I leave and then tip on the last day. The housekeeper doesn't have to clean my room for most of the time I am there. That's less time they have to worry about me, and more time for the other rooms. Some of which look like a group of orangutans had a battle last night.

It has been my experience that housekeepers are also quite happy to give me towels from their cart when I see them wheeling it down the hall. I drop old towels into their "bag of linen" and I get fresh towels. Works for me.

When people accept a service that is traditionally done for tips, they should tip. I've been tipping housekeepers my entire life. This is not a new practice. When people stiff a service worker, the service worker is usually still on the hook for income taxes (the IRS has really cracked down on tipped workers), but they didn't actually receive the income. That's like picking their pocket. And I'm not going to steal from someone who makes 1/10th my wages. I don't need that kind of karma hit.
This. I do pretty much the same thing when traveling on business. On pleasure trips I like my turn down service and tip both in the morning and evening.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That applies to employees such as waiters/waitresses who legally are paid less than minimum wage.
Otherwise, you all should be tipping every minimum wage earner you deal with. Do you?
Why is a hotel housekeeper worth a tip more than the clerk/stock person at the Dollar Store?
Because a housekeeper works a lot harder than the gum cracking idiot slumped over the counter at Dollar General who can barely get out a "'sup" when you approach the register. When that clerk cleans my toilet and greets me with a smile and "Good morning/evening" and responds to any request with "my pleasure," I'll tip them.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
[quote=old_cold;36542895]That applies to employees such as waiters/waitresses who legally are paid less than minimum wage.
Why is a hotel housekeeper worth a tip more than the clerk/stock person at the Dollar Store?[/QUOTE]

There is a difference, the dollar store clerk is not stripping dirty linens from where I slept, cleaning sink, tub and toilet after me. Even though I leave room as clean as possible even removing the used soap and disposing of it I leave a tip as it is a job me personally would find gross as too many people are just huge slobs...jmo

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this is news. I've been seeing envelopes (or at least note cards with the cleaning lady's name) in hotel rooms for quite a while now.
It's "news" because Marriitt has a good marketing/PR department and Maria Shriver's name is attached to it. That's all.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-18-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel