U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:05 PM

28,238 posts, read 47,721,098 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows they’re expected to tip their cab driver and waiter. But few realize that they’re also expected to tip the people who clean their hotel rooms every day.

That’s why Marriott says it’s launching its “The Envelope Please” campaign this week in partnership with A Woman’s Nation, a nonprofit founded by Maria Shriver, in some of its hotels. The hotel will place envelopes in 160,000 rooms in the United States and Canada with the name of the person who cleans the room and the message, “Our caring room attendants enjoyed making your stay warm and comfortable.

Hotel Chain Will Leave Envelopes In Rooms To Encourage Guests To Tip Housekeepers | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 AM

24,944 posts, read 6,222,647 times
I despair, I really do. I tip the room cleaning ladies wherever I travel. Especially poor countries like Tunisia. When we visit Las Vegas, I tip the room cleaner before I leave. I do this because I want to, not because I feel I have to. This sort of thing, with envelopes to encourage tipping is wrong. These people clean rooms for a living. A tiring job. They get paid to do so, like so many other workers in the service industry. It is not right to try and blackmail people in this way. Marriott should pay it's workers properly, not try to make hotel guests pay them.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:42 AM

32,227 posts, read 33,140,814 times
I remember as a child staying at hotels with my parents and that my mother always left tips for the hotel maids/cleaning staff.

But I think that the hotels should pay their cleaning staff appropriate wages so that tipping isn't necessary as guests pay for a room which includes daily cleaning.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,862,598 times
I'm trying to figure out why this is news. I've been seeing envelopes (or at least note cards with the cleaning lady's name) in hotel rooms for quite a while now.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,738,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm trying to figure out why this is news. I've been seeing envelopes (or at least note cards with the cleaning lady's name) in hotel rooms for quite a while now.
Same here. At least 20 years now.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,097,782 times
That is not a new thing here in EU where ever I traveled I left tip. But yes some people so greedy for few cash to leave for the cleaning people. I have seen from my own eyes once when I was in Lexington New york city. few years back, There was a couple who was very famous, face is everywhere, triathlete, fundraiser, chair person, actor for a long time Naval advocate series but this couple had a huge fight in the lift, why? the Man left a 5 dollars to cleaning lady! Unbelievable how some people are. For me even there is no sign I am always tipping them as giving my thanks for their hard work. But in some hotels there is a note with saying "please don't tip it is already added to your bill"

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,544,187 times
Will they reduce the salary of Housekeeping Staff to 2 Dollars per hour and then expect people staying in the Hotels to pay 20% of the Room Rate as TIPS to the Hotel Staff? Then if Foreigners do not pay TIPS, they will be called STINGY? This looks familiar to me as it must have started the same way in Restaurant Business in USA.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Will they reduce the salary of Housekeeping Staff to 2 Dollars per hour and then expect people staying in the Hotels to pay 20% of the Room Rate as TIPS to the Hotel Staff? Then if Foreigners do not pay TIPS, they will be called STINGY? This looks familiar to me as it must have started the same way in Restaurant Business in USA.
Big difference.

That said, I always leave a couple dollars for the housekeeper. I'd never miss it, but it could make a big difference in their life. My best friend put herself through college cleaning hotel rooms, and the tips made the difference between eating ramen and actually having some protein and vegetables on her plate.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 AM

3,697 posts, read 3,544,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Big difference.

That said, I always leave a couple dollars for the housekeeper. I'd never miss it, but it could make a big difference in their life. My best friend put herself through college cleaning hotel rooms, and the tips made the difference between eating ramen and actually having some protein and vegetables on her plate.
I agree to that but my fear is that in future, this should not become an excuse by hotel chains to reduce or eliminate the salary of Housekeeping Staff.

Tips should be extra. Tips should not become their only source of income. Reducing salary and expecting workers to rely on tips is criminal way of thinking. Same thing has happened in Airport worker staff like Wheelchair Assistant.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1082307.html

Some Wall Street CEOs and executives of Asset Management Firms will add few more millions in their Pay-Package by eliminating salaries of hundreds of thousands of Housekeeping Staff. A new yacht and exotic island home for the super rich will come by eradicating the salaries of Hotel staff while customers will be emotionally blackmailed into paying more and more tips otherwise Hotel staff will die of hunger, they are not paid for their work.

Last edited by munna21977; 09-17-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I agree to that but my fear is that in future, this should not become an excuse by hotel chains to reduce or eliminate the salary of Housekeeping Staff.

Tips should be extra. Tips should not become their only source of income. Reducing salary and expecting workers to rely on tips is criminal way of thinking. Same thing has happened in Airport worker staff like Wheelchair Assistant.
Airport Workers Say Pay Is Illegally Low

Some Wall Street CEOs and executives of Asset Management Firms will add few more millions in their Pay-Package by eliminating salaries of hundreds of thousands of Housekeeping Staff. A new yacht and exotic island home for the super rich will come by eradicating the salaries of Hotel staff while customers will be emotionally blackmailed into paying more and more tips otherwise Hotel staff will die of hunger, they are not paid for their work.
Housekeeping is not classified as a tipped position by the Federal Government, and I highly doubt it ever will be, so your fears are unfounded.

That article is bogus. There is no Federal law that says they can't tell someone they are paid lower than Federal minimum. Her employer might have such a rule--and the Department of Labor might have a problem with that rule and consider it racketeering.

My son has two friends who are "pushers" at MCO, they are both paid Federal minimum and usually make $20-40 per shift on top of that. Additionally the employee who says she can't afford the group plan should have looked into ObamaCare--if her income is as low as she claims, it will be subsidized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel