U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Isn't that the truth!!!

I have a picture of my mother boarding a plane at Norfolk Airport in 1957, and she was dressed to the nines with a stylish dress, matching shoes (high heels), a perfect hat (with a veil), and of course, the white gloves. No self-respecting woman would board a plane without her white gloves!

What's happened to us?
Deregulation brought fares down so pretty much anyone can afford to fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Don't even get me started on those who go barefoot into the lav. WHY would you ever do that? Aircraft lav floors are coated with urine and even traces of feces - I feel gross even with shoes on.
That has got to be one of the grossest things ever. Ever.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 PM

108 posts, read 139,217 times
Seen all of this. You are a bunch of wussies. Will lick the lavatory floor next time for good measure.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:49 PM

4,547 posts, read 8,263,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
If you're not supposed to take your shoes off, why do they give you socks?
One should keep shoes on during takeoff and landing but I don't see a problem once you're in the air.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:47 AM

774 posts, read 591,154 times
Fly trans-pacific and you'll see people in a lot of unusual positions trying to get some sleep. I'm sure most of them take their shoes off too. I can't imagine leaving shoes on for a 15 hour flight.

I once read a magazine article about flying that recommended taking shoes off, to improve circulation. Same article also said that you should wear loose, comfortable clothing on flights; and avoid belts, stockings, and anything that might interfere with your circulation. Circulation can be a problem at such high altitudes.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:59 AM

38,146 posts, read 14,902,572 times
The guy in the first photo had an amazing amount of room. I've never flown where the seat in from on me wasn't right in my face. What airline is this?

Bare feet or not, I want to fly on that airline.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:12 AM

38,146 posts, read 14,902,572 times
On a recent flight to Denver, I sat next to an overweight man with terrible body odor who kept farting. The flight was full, so there was no option to move.

His butt bulged over the seat as did his arms and shoulders. But the smell was something else.

I've grown used to bare feet, pajamas, bra straps hanging out. One flight had several people waiting to board who could easily been featured in one of those WalMart shopper web pages, butt crack showing, flesh bulging out of clothes.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:41 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm like you. Smells make me want to heave sometimes. BO is just disgusting and to me, there is NO excuse. If you can afford to fly, you can afford the water and hot water heater to run a shower.

Knowing how close you are on a plane beside other people, you'd think/hope that people would think about their hygiene before their flight. Some don't, and that is disgusting.

Before anyone jumps in and blames BO on a medical problem, then they should bring along a wash cloth and wash their pits (or where ever is the cause of an odor) a few times on a long flight, then USE deodorant.
Agree but I also find someone who overdoses on the perfume/cologne just as offensive

Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,730,937 times
Hey that one guy with the big gut and the underwear on his head....looks kinda like me....

Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The guy in the first photo had an amazing amount of room. I've never flown where the seat in from on me wasn't right in my face. What airline is this?

Bare feet or not, I want to fly on that airline.
Looks like business class on Singapore Airlines. There are better Asian carriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or