Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,048,832 times

Advertisements

I had a situation back in 2012 as I was departing London Heathrow, for Detroit on Delta, non-stop. Of all 300+ people on that flight, as we were queuing to board the plane, I smelled the sweat stank from an obese girl in her early 20s. I prayed that she wouldn't be sitting near me. And as karmic luck would have it, I won the lottery in having her sit next to me. I was greatly offended. The smell was terrible. I asked the flight attendant to move me, but the flight was full. She suggested for me to position the air flow unto me to blow her bad odor, but that only worsened the situation because I was cold and too much unnecessary air was on me.

I got up and asked another attendant to help me and she said she'll see what she could do. Her and the head flight attendant did a walk by my seat with stinky fat girl, and they both mumbled to each other, 'Oh yes'.

thank God, a miracle happened. What they wound up doing was bumped one of the passengers from the 7th row into business class (lucky them for my poor fortune), and I took their seat. I was in heaven for the next EIGHT hours of the flight.

Airlines should really make an effort to stop offensive smelling passengers from boarding the plane because they know that the seat partner will have a terrible flight being next to someone foul smelling. I'm too young to have enjoyed flights pre-1980, but I'm sure air travel was much more civilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,356,161 times
I've taken my shoes and socks off on airplanes. It helps with bloodflow when DVT is a very real possibility.

That being said, much of the rest of this is disgusting.

Why the hell would someone take their shirt off? There isn't a film crew following the sky-marshal around to film Cops.

I agree 100% with airlines banning smelly people. If they have the audacity to show up at the airport stinking, they should have to stand naked on the runway and get a bath from the de-icer.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,498,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Looks like business class on Singapore Airlines. There are better Asian carriers.
Really? TravelandLeisure says otherwise. World's Best Airlines- Page 2 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

I had a great experience on Singapore Airlines, as great an experience as one can have w/a massive flying phobia. Good tea, good lunch, good service.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,870,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Really? TravelandLeisure says otherwise. World's Best Airlines- Page 2 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

I had a great experience on Singapore Airlines, as great an experience as one can have w/a massive flying phobia. Good tea, good lunch, good service.
I guess it depends on who is doing the rankings and the criteria.

And the world's best airline is... - CNN.com
Best Airlines for Long-Haul Flights in Economy - SmarterTravel.com

T&L stopped ranking airlines after 2012.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,733,504 times
Here's the picture from the 1950s that I mentioned on earlier post.

Mom at the "gate" at Norfolk airport (Norfolk, VA).

How I wish we could return to a time when flying was this much fun.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on who is doing the rankings and the criteria.

And the world's best airline is... - CNN.com
Best Airlines for Long-Haul Flights in Economy - SmarterTravel.com

T&L stopped ranking airlines after 2012.
A mere 2 years ago. Ancient!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Here's the picture from the 1950s that I mentioned on earlier post.

Mom at the "gate" at Norfolk airport (Norfolk, VA).

How I wish we could return to a time when flying was this much fun.
I'm sorry but I see nothing fun about wearing fine clothing while smooshed into a seat with no leg room for hours on end. Talk about uncomfortable! No thank you! She looks nice for sure but I could not get that groomed for a plane trip.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
A mere 2 years ago. Ancient!
Things have changed quite drastically over the past two years in terms of cabin seating, space, food, and amenities on airlines--premiere and budget, and in-between.

By your own admission you don't fly often, so you wouldn't know.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Things have changed quite drastically over the past two years in terms of cabin seating, space, food, and amenities on airlines--premiere and budget, and in-between.

By your own admission you don't fly often, so you wouldn't know.
Actually, those "drastic" changes have been in effect since basically 9/11. I don't need to fly often to know that much, that's basic knowledge. Get over yourself.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Actually, those "drastic" changes have been in effect since basically 9/11. I don't need to fly often to know that much, that's basic knowledge. Get over yourself.
I'm not talking about security. Not even close.

I'm speaking ENTIRELY of the in air experience. The bar keeps getting elevated, and has really risen over the past two years. Take a look at what Etihad is up to to get a glimpse of what I'm referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel