U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 05:49 PM

7,869 posts, read 10,553,387 times

Advertisements

Anyone with an informed opinion of these tour companies? We are planning on going to Europe most probably Italy in 2015. I was very impressed with Colette Vacations when we used them to go to Germany and planned on trying for Italy with them. A neighbor just came back and could not stop raving about Globus. Any agents with experience with them. I am talking about value, pricing, responsiveness to travelers for example. We had an unfortunate incident with a tour member who fell ill and was hospitalized and Colette was 5 stars all the way as we had to leave her and her hubby behind. They sent a rep to deal with all things foreign for him and even accompanied her medevac flight.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 12:17 PM

12,276 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Anyone with an informed opinion of these tour companies? We are planning on going to Europe most probably Italy in 2015. I was very impressed with Colette Vacations when we used them to go to Germany and planned on trying for Italy with them. A neighbor just came back and could not stop raving about Globus. Any agents with experience with them. I am talking about value, pricing, responsiveness to travelers for example. We had an unfortunate incident with a tour member who fell ill and was hospitalized and Colette was 5 stars all the way as we had to leave her and her hubby behind. They sent a rep to deal with all things foreign for him and even accompanied her medevac flight.

Any opinions?
Just my usual opinion - you do not need any tour company for western Europe, unless you enjoy spending vacation time with the over 70 year-old set, or enjoy spending valuable vacation time visiting carpet shops.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 PM

7,869 posts, read 10,553,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just my usual opinion - you do not need any tour company for western Europe, unless you enjoy spending vacation time with the over 70 year-old set, or enjoy spending valuable vacation time visiting carpet shops.
If that works for you that is great. We, however, rather enjoyed the input from a variety of ages and the youngest was 27 and the oldest a sweet 83 year old who kept us howling. We simply complied with the times our guide told us on the touring days and did our own thing on other days. No hassle with luggage, it was delivered to our room. We will not go alone ever again.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Personally, I like both of them. Taking a tour let's you see the most possible in the shortest period of time. When I go on my own, I am easily distracted and tend to ramble around. I enjoy both types of travel but the tour is probably the most bang for the buck.

When I choose a tour company I tend to completely avoid the most expensive ones. The more you pay, the more Americanized your experience will be. A Marriott anywhere is pretty much a Marriott and expensive tours stay at hotels like this. I want to stay at those little off the beaten path places.

I believe Cosmos and Globus are owned by the same company. They are a bit lower price than Globus. Check them out too!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
Funny, just got a brochure for Colette yesterday, I'd never heard of them. Glad to hear they are reputable. My mom, in the "old days" (70's and 80's) travelled with Globus and loved them. They've definitely been around for a while.

We haven't done group tours yet, and wouldn't in Europe, at least not yet (66 and 71.) But we did a tour this spring in SE Asia, and then I felt it was really worthwhile. We actually did a customized, private tour, which is reasonably-priced in that part of the world and it was great to have that kind of support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel