U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans, Tampa, or Orlando?
New Orleans 20 71.43%
Tampa 6 21.43%
Orlando 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times

Advertisements

Is one of you over 25? If not, rental car surcharges are going to eat a good chunk of your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
I've heard Cabo is nice this time of year

Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,243,316 times
I wouldn't head all the way down to Key West. Key West is beautiful. Key West has great old houses and great people and the sunset celebration and some of the nicest watering holes in America. But if what you're looking for is palm trees, fish shacks, juke joints and nice beaches, there are plenty of places that fit that bill that don't come with Key West's outrageous prices.

Islamorada gives the visitor most of what Key West does at less than half the price. Naples is even less. Tampa is even less than that. Key West is one of the most expensive places in the United States. Nobody sends budget travelers to Manhattan for the same reason.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,295,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
8 hour drive from Tampa to Key West, longer if it's slow on Route 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
In reply to your earlier question Key West is not even close to Tampa and Orlando. It's the far southern tip of the Florida Keys, if even a long drive from Miami!
Thanks, but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Is one of you over 25? If not, rental car surcharges are going to eat a good chunk of your budget.
We're both over 25 and the other traveler works at Hertz. Hopefully that works to our advantage somehow, but we're using Priceline. So I don't think so.

We're going to stay local domestic since Friday is the deadline (for us) to purchase everything. Islamorada sounds nice, and I am looking into this...but it's looking like New Orleans. Poll results seem to sway towards New Orleans also.

I'm a bit biased since I went to school there..so I was trying to consider other places. I'm also thinking New Orleans because the other traveler just mentioned he is iffy about showing the beer belly & not knowing how to swim. Many excuses he has come up with.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:25 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Thanks, but no thanks.

We're both over 25 and the other traveler works at Hertz. Hopefully that works to our advantage somehow, but we're using Priceline. So I don't think so.

We're going to stay local domestic since Friday is the deadline (for us) to purchase everything. Islamorada sounds nice, and I am looking into this...but it's looking like New Orleans. Poll results seem to sway towards New Orleans also.

I'm a bit biased since I went to school there..so I was trying to consider other places. I'm also thinking New Orleans because the other traveler just mentioned he is iffy about showing the beer belly & not knowing how to swim. Many excuses he has come up with.

Thanks everyone!
If you choose New Orleans, skip the rental car. A cab from the airport is $20 and almost everything is either walkable or on the Streetcar line. You'll pay $25+ per night to park at any of the hotels near the French Quarter.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,324,617 times
I love love love New Orleans.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
I voted for New Orleans as the most romantic. Orlando? Never!

However you can do much better for your money. I will subtract $200 for 2 passports and there are still dozens and dozens of romantic vacations to choose. Look at the cruises on the 90 day ticker. Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation

Plus the passports are something everyone should have and they are good for 10 years now!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:35 PM

352 posts, read 249,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Thanks for the great suggestions in New Orleans. Do you think the $2,500 will be fine for a hotel in the CBD or French Quarter? Even the Hilton Riverside is about $1,200 for two people.
You can stay at the Dauphine hotel in the Quarter for about $250/night, the Ritz will cost $600/night and the Windsor Court will cost $325/night. Other than that, you can find decent hotels for between $150-250. Hotel quality drops fast when you're not staying at a luxury boutique or a nationally recognized luxury chain. I believe the Dauphine hotel has Tempurpedic beds still, and it's just off of Bourbon Street in a quiet part of the quarter.

Quote:
Is Key West in close proximity to Tampa, which is close to Clearwater? A car + driving around FL seem like the best vacation.
Key West is at least a 7 hour drive from Tampa...though that drive isn't bad, you can go by places like the Everglades and the southwest coast of Florida which is pretty nice. Going to college in New Orleans we spent a lot of time in Florida (played on the hockey team, most of our games were in Florida against FGCU, SFU, UF, FSU and a few others I forget) and it was usually pretty boring compared to New Orleans and the food was never close to as good until you get down to Miami and have the Cuban food.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
OP, for future reference check out these all inclusive vacations that are well within your budget. We've gone 14 times since 1997 and have always had a great time. It's hard to beat the price because airfare, shuttles to and from the resorts, all meals, all beverages including alcoholic drinks, non-motorized water sports, etc. are included in the price. It's actually cheaper for us to go on one of these all inclusives than it is to do Disney.

Check out the deals from Apple Vacations:

All-Inclusive Vacations | America’s #1 Tour Operator | Apple Vacations

Funjet also has some good all inclusive deals:

Funjet Vacations - Search

CheapCarribean.com does all inclusive packages too:

This Week's Hottest Deals!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times
This year I spent a week in St. Pete, which is in the Tampa Bay area and had a great time. Went to some of the tourist attractions like Ybor City in Tampa and the Sunken Gardens in St. Pete ... and yes it was romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or