U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Hey ScoopLV, could you tell me more about the bedbugs? I posted something on another forum about my own bad experience on The Vermonter, and some other fellow was talking about bedbugs (on a different train, with a sleeper), and boy oh boy, the folks on that forum told him that bedbugs were virtually unheard of on Amtrak.

I didn't believe it myself.

The train we were on was filthy beyond all description. The Amtrak bathroom literally had puddles of urine on the floor, with wads of used toilet paper scattered about - and that was in the Business Class section!

So, tell me about the bedbugs??
It's not just trains unfortunately. I'm seeing a huge uptick in bedbugs everywhere. I take two or three trips each year. And I've had bedbug problems in places like Barcelona and Napa. But that sleeper train was the worst ever. We woke up, shrieking in pain with dozens of the damned things actively chewing on us. There are no words to describe the itching, which lasted for a couple weeks afterwards.

We were so fearful of bringing nits home with us that we really did strip naked and burn everything rather than chance bringing these awful, belligerent insects into our house.

Makes me long for the days of DDT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:44 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Please suggest to DH that sleeper trains, even the best of them, can be nightmares...
I don't have much room to speak because I've never done any overnight rail trips myself (at least not as an adult), but I have relatives that took the Zephyr from Emeryville to Glenwood Springs, CO (and back) with a sleeper unit and they absolutely loved and said they'd like to travel by no other means now. But I don't deny that bedbugs are a growing problem, which is why my own preferred travel mode is a 23' class C RV!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,165,747 times
Quote:
It's not just trains unfortunately. I'm seeing a huge uptick in bedbugs everywhere. I take two or three trips each year. And I've had bedbug problems in places like Barcelona and Napa. But that sleeper train was the worst ever. We woke up, shrieking in pain with dozens of the damned things actively chewing on us. There are no words to describe the itching, which lasted for a couple weeks afterwards.

We were so fearful of bringing nits home with us that we really did strip naked and burn everything rather than chance bringing these awful, belligerent insects into our house.

DDT was some good stuff.

In our zeal to make the world safer, I think we may have thrown too many things overboard.

Besides, who remembers riding their bike at top speed behind the mosquito-spraying truck and breathing deep all that weird-smelling fog! GOOD TIMES!!

Old 09-20-2014, 02:42 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,651,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Look at post #3 on this thread. Amtrak.
Actually, I was looking for a site showing single sleepers available...

Apparently none on Amtrak.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:

I just read an article yesterday that they are having a problem with them on the transit buses in York, PA. Quiet little town, definitely not a major city!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Actually, I was looking for a site showing single sleepers available...

Apparently none on Amtrak.
If you are looking for just a bunk in a sleeping car like you see in the old movies, Amtrak does not have them. They do have what is called a roomette. They say it is designed for 2 passengers. However I think only one passenger can travel comfortably in one. The problem with putting two passengers in there is the seats face each other and you are competing for the same foot space. I have booked a roomette for just myself many times and found it enjoyable. Meals are included in the price. Also if you are starting from one Amtrak's main stations you get free use of their first class lounge while waiting for the train.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:12 AM

13,650 posts, read 8,565,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
DH has requested that I look into a long distance train trip for one if our vacations next year. The kind where you skeep, eat, etc on the train. I've done overnights in sleeping berths on trains in the UK and Russia, but that's not what I think he is referring to.

Anyone have any ideas or experienced this kind of trip. Yes, I will google it myself, so I'm only looking for personal experiences or knowledge gained from famiky, friends, etc.
We've taken a couple of train trips.

You may want to take a shorter trip first. Trains are enjoyable - and we did enjoy the trips - but there are some serious shortcomings:

(1) The schedule is limited. Check the available departure times from your area headed north to Washington, DC and you will see what I mean. We wanted to go to San Antonio, and the only arrival time was 2 AM, or something like that.

(2) The sleeper cars are located right behind the engine. And the engineer blows his horn at every crossing, i.e. constantly. All night.

(3) It is not a comfortable ride. Amtrak leases track from the freight companies, and some of those tracks are wobbly! Sometimes it is difficult to keep your feet. And sometimes Amtrak is told to wait on a side track for a passing freight.

Still, I recommend you try a trip. Go to Washington DC - you arrive downtown at 10 AM (perfect), so you can leave your bags and venture forth. We spent 4 days in DC. Or go to Atlanta to the aquarium like we did. We spent a whole wonderful day there. Or go to New Orleans. You'll arrive right downtown.

BTW: We paid extra for the cabin and for our 1 night on the train did not think it was worth it. We'd just go with the sleeper for a 1 night trip. For day trips, the seats are big with lots of leg room. Bring a cooler, if you like, or go up to the dinning room or club car to watch the scenery fly by. There is something relaxing about drinking coffee watch the world go by........

Old 09-20-2014, 11:20 AM

8,791 posts, read 5,651,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If you are looking for just a bunk in a sleeping car like you see in the old movies, Amtrak does not have them. They do have what is called a roomette. They say it is designed for 2 passengers. However I think only one passenger can travel comfortably in one. The problem with putting two passengers in there is the seats face each other and you are competing for the same foot space. I have booked a roomette for just myself many times and found it enjoyable. Meals are included in the price. Also if you are starting from one Amtrak's main stations you get free use of their first class lounge while waiting for the train.
Yes, Amtrak rooms have a minimum of two berths... I was saying that as a single, you are obligated to pay for both. Therefore your travel cost is doubled.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:44 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes, Amtrak rooms have a minimum of two berths... I was saying that as a single, you are obligated to pay for both. Therefore your travel cost is doubled.
Not really. It's not like buying two seats on a plane where each seat equals a ticket. On Amtrak you buy tickets, and then add on the sleeper. The price of that doesn't change. Granted you aren't splitting the cost with another person, but if you were two buy two tickets plus the sleeper, the cost would go up.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:51 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,198,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Another option would be Amtrak's Coast Starlight which travels daily between Los Angeles and Seattle, some of it (but not a lot) is along the coast. It's overnight at best though, so if you're looking for a very long trip, that's not it.
We did this as an overnighter a few years ago. Enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or