U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:38 PM

6,157 posts, read 6,326,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes, Amtrak rooms have a minimum of two berths... I was saying that as a single, you are obligated to pay for both. Therefore your travel cost is doubled.
Sadly, beyond basic travel needs, almost everything else is geared towards 2 people traveling together. As a solo traveler I hate this. But that is how it is. Just about about every travel deal you see shows the per person price. Then somewhere in smaller print it will include "based on double occupancy" A one person roomette would take the same amount of space as a two person roomette. The roomettes usually sell out on the long distance trains. Thus Amtrak has no motivation to offer a one person roomette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times
The great days of passenger rail travel are gone. In 1950, you could board a train in NYC and ride in the same car to the west coast or the Mexican border. The railroads simply switched the cars. Pullman sleepers and dining cars made the trip a wonderful experience. I rode the Super Chief in 1950 with my parents from Chicago to Los Angeles; we had a drawing room. It's a trip I'll never forget.

Today, the best train trip apart from a private car is the California Zephyr from Chicago to California. The food is certainly tasty and it's possible to get off of the train at several stops including Glenwood Springs. The best accomodations are roomy and have full bathroom facilities although there is only a shower, no bathtub. I was last on this train in 2002. Going east from Helper, Utah (given that name because in the old days that's where the railroad added helper locomotives) one of the train crew gave a running account of the history and features of the area all the way to the Moffat Tunnel. The part of the journey that traversed Glenwood Canyon and crossed the Continental Divide was magnificent. Be sure to take the trip when days are longest because there's so much to see. It's expensive compared to air but easily worth the additional cost.

Getting off the train in Denver, then driving to Colorado Springs to ride the Cog Railroad to the summit of Pike's Peak, then driving to Durango to take the narrow gauge to Silverton, then coming back through Georgetown and riding over the Georgetown loop would be a fantastic vacation.

There's now deluxe private service from Chicago to New Orleans. The company has an arrangement with Amtrak to couple their cars to the City of New Orleans. They're planning to begin service to NYC from Chicago as well. They're recreating the days of the Pullman Palace Car Company.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/tr...past.html?_r=0

Old 09-20-2014, 02:44 PM

9,396 posts, read 6,268,586 times
MrsM and I did VIA fron Toronto to Vancouver. Toronto-Vancouver train - Overview | VIA Rail We couldn't get a private room so we slept in Pullman (Bunks 2 or 3 high by 6=7 long. One night a drunk woman was trying to climb into my bunk and MrsM, bunk below me, yelled leave him alone, he's mine

Great ride.

We traveled Switzerland and Germany by train, beautiful,

Now we do day trips. Home Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad
Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train
Grand Canyon Railway | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona
White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad - Skagway, Alaska
Alaska Railroad, Private Dome Trains, Deluxe Motorcoach | AlaskaTrain.com

All great and we have more on our bucket list

Old 09-20-2014, 08:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

We were so fearful of bringing nits home with us that we really did strip naked and burn everything rather than chance bringing these awful, belligerent insects into our house.

Makes me long for the days of DDT.
A dryer on high should kill them. I had bedbugs in my previous apartment but only a couple of bites every few days. Yikes

Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,513,144 times
At its height in the late 1920's, up to 50,000 Americans checked into Pullman berths on a given night; I doubt that a figure of even 1000 could be attained today, since Amtrak operates on;y about 20 schedules with the sleeper and diner service of an earlier time. The physical plant necessary to accommodate both freight and passenger service has likewise been downsized.

Rail travel has always been a stimulating experience for me, but the gradual integration of airline service into the fabric of our travel patterns doomed it; Amtrak was originally created in the early 70's to serve en older population which could not reconcile itself to flying, and now survives only due to the whims of politicians. Another financial crisis might see it further cut back and shorn of its "traditional" long-distance services.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:06 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Years ago we took a rail trip out of Vancouver to Prince George BC and then to Prince Rupert and then down the inside passage by ferry. Now you would need to go Vancouver to Jasper to Prince Rupert and then down to Victoria by ferry...or Port Hardy (motorcoach to Victoria). That first leg is day trips only...you stay in a hotel at night. You might need to cobble the three legs together based on schedules. Look up routes on Canadarail.ca and VIA rail and BC Ferries. Fly into Vancouver and there is a ferry connection from Victoria. A travel agent might do it for you. Bucket list trip - breathtaking scenery - both rail and ferry trips.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 AM

15,078 posts, read 19,024,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Years ago we took a rail trip out of Vancouver to Prince George BC and then to Prince Rupert and then down the inside passage by ferry. Now you would need to go Vancouver to Jasper to Prince Rupert and then down to Victoria by ferry...or Port Hardy (motorcoach to Victoria). That first leg is day trips only...you stay in a hotel at night. You might need to cobble the three legs together based on schedules. Look up routes on Canadarail.ca and VIA rail and BC Ferries. Fly into Vancouver and there is a ferry connection from Victoria. A travel agent might do it for you. Bucket list trip - breathtaking scenery - both rail and ferry trips.
Now THAT sounds like a great trip. Thank you to all who posted information - including the warnings about Amtrak.

Old 09-24-2014, 04:15 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
Glad someone brought up the classic Canadian trip on VIA Rail.

If you have deep pockets, there's the Rocky Mountaineer trips, which is a private tourist railway that runs trips from Vancouver to Jasper and Banff, and Calgary. The two day trip, for example, stops at a hotel overnight so you see all of the Rockies during the daylight. And there are observation cars.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:33 AM

9,200 posts, read 9,278,507 times
We have traveled on Amtrak extensively. In fact, some of the trains we have been on no longer even run. DW and I have been from Salt Lake to Los Angeles (train stopped running). We've been from Los Angeles to New Orleans. We've been from New Orleans to Chicago. We've traveled from Chicago to Salt Lake City. We've inquired on a number of occasions about trying to get a berth in a sleeping car and always talked ourselves out of it when we heard the price.

Basically, one could stay in a five star hotel in a major city and eat meals for what it costs to stay in a sleeping car on Amtrak. I don't think its a wise use of money, but others may differ.

I highly recommend the trip from Denver to Salt Lake City through the Rocky Mountains. The trip from New Orleans to Chicago is a good one too. However, one must always understand that train schedules may not allow for a great deal of sightseeing. Sometimes, the train departs late at night.

I've never been on the Coastal Starlight which runs all along the West Coast. However, someday we hope to do that.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,538,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I highly recommend the trip from Denver to Salt Lake City through the Rocky Mountains... I've never been on the Coastal Starlight which runs all along the West Coast. However, someday we hope to do that.
DEN to SLC seems like an ideal length for anyone looking for a longer ride on a non-museum line. It's short enough that you don't need a berth and will see a lot through the windows. Also both cities have major airports (and other transit hubs) so you don't necessarily have to go RT if you don't want. The Starlight line will be of very similar length and scenery, substituting coastal ranges & plains for the Rocky Mtns of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or