U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,134 times

Advertisements

I am going to honolulu, need to ship my car and some goods, which way is the best to save money ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,134 times
I love my massage chair , but how much shipping to honolulu, anyone has idea for me?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:19 PM

556 posts, read 761,205 times
You might get a better response on the Hawaii forum.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Or the moving forum.

I'm gonna make a bet here, though. You're gonna have to REALLY REALLY REALLY love that chair to get it to Hawaii when you find out how much it's gonna cost.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,080,146 times
Friends of ours moved to HI...
After checking on freight for car(s), household goods, etc, they shipped very little of what they had: mostly family stuff/memoriablia.

They sold their cars and sold/gave away much of their household goods/furniture, and bought replacement stuff and a car when they got there. And, this couple while not wealthy, is very well off financially...

As jkgourmet noted, the prices will be breath taking for any large sized and esp heavy goods.
GL, mD

Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Look into freight consolidators. There are quite a few at all the west coast ports. Here's how it works. A freight consolidator buys a container worth of space going from LA to Hawaii. He then resells the space to many people wanting to make shipments smaller than a whole container. The consolidator collects all the stuff, loads the container, and notifies his customers when and where to pick up their stuff. I would say it usually takes 6 or 8 weeks to get to Honolulu this way. But this is the cheapest way to do it! And it's still expensive.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:48 AM

11,263 posts, read 8,421,299 times
Go to the Oahu forum and do a search. Please don't post this question there because they're going to jump on you for not searching or they'll ignore you.

I saw one auto shipper that will allow you to put stuff in your car as long as it doesn't appear in the windows (ie: keep it below that level).

Will you be going there forever? If so it may be worth getting a container. I've seen people looking for someone to split a container with. (sorry about the incorrect sentence structure, grammer nazis) I went for a limited time. I could have stayed but left after a year. No relocation expenses were paid either way. (I got job offers both times) Anyway, stuff is easy to come by over there. There's lots of stuff. It's a small island. Lots of people relocating. You can find great stuff on the side of the road on bulky trash pick-up day.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,322,548 times
I am guessing the only way you will get an estimate of any use on how much to ship a car to Honolulu is to contact the shippers directly and get a quote for your car. Knowing what someone else paid to ship their car is of little use to you. Too many variables. Was their car bigger or smaller than yours? Did it weigh more or less? What port did they ship from? Did they ship household goods as well and get a volume discount? Did they get a discount thru their employer? Did they ship priority or when the shipper had space at a later date? Was it shipped in an open container or an enclosed container? Was it peak or off season? There are just too many variables to consider.

There might be a few shippers that allow you to ship you car with household goods inside. However most will not allow anything that was not already in the car the day you drove it off the showroom floor. I once helped a friend get his car ready to ship to Alaska. We had to remove everything but the spare tire and the jack. We also had to vacuum the carpets. We thought everything was good to go. But when the shipper did their inspection they found 2 dimes and a cigarette butt hiding under the spare in the trunk and made my friend remove them.

Something else to consider. Honolulu is in the top ten for worst traffic congestion in the U.S.. And you might cry when you find out how much it costs to park 8 blocks from where you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or