Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:48 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times

Advertisements

You know I was thinking in shortening the NYC trip..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
so much how do I actually need??
To be safe, I'd say an average of $150 or 250 pounds per day for lodging, with NYC and DC approaching 300-325 pounds per day. So your budget would be used up - not counting food and entertainment - in about four days.

Note that Washington and New York are about as expensive as London. Assuming a moderate food and entertainment budget $200 or ~ 320 pounds per day, I would say that a daily budget of 600 pounds is your target. If that is more than you prefer to save, I would recommend prioritizing which *one city* appeals to your the most.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
If you book a hotel ahead in NYC, you might be able to find one for $150* maybe even $125, Queens or Brooklyn a short subway ride away has some of the better deals. If you're young and on a budge traveling by yourself, I recommend a hostel. You can meet other young people, you're there for the experience not max luxury.

The Financial District on weekends has good deals as it's not exactly the top tourist spot, but it's not far from more exciting places.

Last edited by nei; 09-21-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
You should use airbnb. That'll give you comparable accommodations for a significant discount. Manhattan will still be expensive but much more doable. I imagine DC and FL will be a lot cheaper with airbnb, but the great options in FL will be less plentiful (there's just less supply and demand) In fact, I can tell you definitively of a one bedroom private room available for 85USD by the Courthouse Metro in Arlington, VA...getting the entire 2-bedroom newly-renovated condo is about 150USD...about half the cost of a hotel in the area. It may or may not be my place...

Old 09-21-2014, 01:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I will be staying in 4* hotels with bed/breakfast. Should this be enough??.

No. It isn't even CLOSE to being enough. This is a minimum £5,000 trip you are describing. New York is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Washington D.C. is right behind New York and the nice parts of Florida cost nearly as much.

Your daily travel funds should EQUAL what you would need for a four-star stay in London. The prices in New York, Washington and Florida are very similar to the prices in London.

Budget what it will cost to spend four weeks at four star places in London and plan accordingly.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
To be safe, I'd say an average of $150 or 250 pounds per day for lodging, with NYC and DC approaching 300-325 pounds per day. So your budget would be used up - not counting food and entertainment - in about four days.

Note that Washington and New York are about as expensive as London. Assuming a moderate food and entertainment budget $200 or ~ 320 pounds per day, I would say that a daily budget of 600 pounds is your target. If that is more than you prefer to save, I would recommend prioritizing which *one city* appeals to your the most.
Ugh.. every time I goto America I end up going to Florida. I am fed up going there, I want to go somewhere else.. I think the highest I could save is £2,000 which I thought was a lot for one person.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No. It isn't even CLOSE to being enough. This is a minimum £5,000 trip you are describing. New York is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Washington D.C. is right behind New York and the nice parts of Florida cost nearly as much.

Your daily travel funds should EQUAL what you would need for a four-star stay in London. The prices in New York, Washington and Florida are very similar to the prices in London.

Budget what it will cost to spend four weeks at four star places in London and plan accordingly.
I've been using this site and it has some cheap ones but i'm not sure if they are good quality or not.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/the-...080638cf8b4eX1

Old 09-21-2014, 01:46 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
The more I think about it, airfare from Dublin to NYC to DC to FL back to Dublin is going to suck up at least £900+ of your budget. Especially since you're considering summertime when fares are often highest. There's going to be very little left over for accommodations, food, ground transpo, entertainment, etc. And no, 10,000 miles with United doesn't even come close to the number of points needed. United doesn't "discount" using points.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Um no we can get the flights to NYC for £350 if you book in February.

But i'm only looking, we might end up just going somewhere for two weeks.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
For a budget of £1500, there are many interesting places in America that you can explore, and that are accessible using rental car or cheap flights. For instance, in the southern and western U.S., you could fly into Dallas/Ft. Worth and spend a couple of days there. Ft. Worth is actually a fairly interesting city, where "the west begins." Drive farther south in Texas to Austin, which is "The Live Music Capital of the World," and to San Antonio, home of the Alamo and the major Texas city in which Mexican influences are really noticed the most. These cities are all in Texas, and while Texas gets a lot of flack because of certain aspects of its culture (and Texas is pretty unique), it really is a state that practically personifies "Americana."

Head on over to Big Bend National Park (still in Texas, it's huge!), then up to Santa Fe where you can catch some great art and a gorgeous New Mexico sunset. Drive over to the Grand Canyon (if you want to go a little out of the way), then up to Pikes Peak in the Colorado Rockies, and finally for a few days in Denver and the rest of the Colorado Rockies.

America is much more than just the "biggies"--Florida, NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, L.A., San Diego, San Francisco--and there are many interesting places to explore that actually are quite easy on the wallet.

Just stay in Holiday Inns and Best Westerns, and not Hyatts and Hiltons.

Another suggestion: a West Coast drive, from San Diego all the way up to Seattle or even Vancouver, Canada. You don't have to stay directly in the major cities, as there are plenty of cheap places to eat and stay at along the way. I've stayed at decent hotels before in the L.A. suburbs for £75 per night or even less, and thus been positioned to explore whatever that area of L.A. has to offer (parks, museums, nature preserves, restaurants, etc.) Actually, the West Coast is almost the solo travelers' dream (assuming that's what you are, of course), and you still get to enjoy some nice weather and hit up some of our nation's most loved cities and highlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel