U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,620,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
No, people are suggesting that your expectations are wildly unrealistic.
Maybe but i'm still planning on heading there next summer. Not really sure what i'm going to do but I will alter my plans so that I can do it.
I didn't expect to stay in a 6* resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:42 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,276,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The OP could find a Holiday Inn or similar hotel in Long Island City, Queens (which is just across East River from Manhattan and a short subway ride to Midtown Manhattan) for approx. $120-$150 per night which is much cheaper than staying in Manhattan. Also JFK and La Guardia airports are in Queens and more easily accessible in this case.
Good point. I mentioned those outlying areas b/c I thought L.I.C., Queens (of which L.I.C. is part), and let's throw in Brooklyn also had all become quite pricey at this point, because not everyone can afford to say in Manhattan. Good to know that there are still some affordable accommodations in L.I.C.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Good point. I mentioned those outlying areas b/c I thought L.I.C., Queens (of which L.I.C. is part), and let's throw in Brooklyn also had all become quite pricey at this point, because not everyone can afford to say in Manhattan. Good to know that there are still some affordable accommodations in L.I.C.
Looked at holiday inn $250 a night might do 3 nights and stay the fourth day.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,331,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Looked at holiday inn $250 a night might do 3 nights and stay the fourth day.
You should really look into hostels.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:54 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,151,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think your trip is too ambitious. Why not fly into NYC and take the Amtrak north to do New England? if you rent a car you could visit Boston, Newport, Portland Maine, lots of interesting places. I think the US is best approached in smaller sections. It's like trying to "do Europe" in one visit.
This is good advice.

One thing I will say, as an American who has traveled to the UK as well as France, Italy, Spain, and Germany...

While the big cities and tourist draws are popular for a reason, there is something to be said for visiting the "road less traveled" when visiting a foreign country. You get to see places that you don't get to see on television, or in movies, and instead, it's a cheaper, more laid back trip where you can see the lesser known aspects of the culture.

I'd recommend New England, or the Midwest, or a tour around the West (California, especially), maybe visiting some of the big cities, but really, just seeing the smaller towns as well.

Much cheaper than NYC, Washington, etc. However, it depends on what you really want to see. If you're young and looking for nightlife and parties, then the bigger cities are your best bet (although some of that exists everywhere).

Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 AM

3,930 posts, read 4,699,973 times
1500 British pounds equal $2450 today.

That will NOT go far if you are planning a five-week stay in America.

I say skip NY/DC/FL.

Go west, young man!

Fly to Los Angeles
Rent a car
Stay 2-3 days in a modest hotel (no more $70 per night)
Drive to San Francisco (6 hrs) and stay 2-3 nights (again, no more than $70 per night)
Drive to Reno, Nevada (4 hrs) and stay one night ($70/night)
Drive to Bend, Oregon (7 hrs) and stay one night ($70/night)
Drive to Portland, Oregon (3 hrs) and stay 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Drive to Seattle, Washington (3 hrs) and stay 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Take ferry to Victoria, Canada and stay 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Take ferry to Vancouver, Canada and stay 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Come back to the US and drive to Spokane, WA (6 hrs) and stay one night ($70/night)
Drive to Bozeman, MT (right near Yellowstone National Park) (6 hrs) and stay 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Drive to Salt Lake City, Utah and stay 1-2 nights ($70/night)
Drive to Las Vegas, Nevada and stay 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Drive to Los Angeles, CA and stay another 2-3 nights ($70/night)
Fly home.

Going this route you'll be in America for 32 days, and your hotel ALONE will be at a minimum $2,240 plus taxes. This doesn't include your flights to and from Los Angeles, or your car rental, or your spending money. Many of these cities are cheaper than NY/DC and some cities in FL. And by spending 2-3 days in each city you get a taste for each city but can move onto the next one since they are all relatively short drives from each other (IMO).

And despite all the driving, you'll see:
LA
San Fran
Reno (the poor man's Vegas)
Portland
Seattle
Victoria, BC
Vancouver, BC
Yellowstone National Park
Salt Lake City
Las Vegas

Plus you'll have driven through some of the most beautiful parts of the country (beaches and mountains alike).

I say wait TWO years and save your money. If you can save up 3,000 British pounds you'll be able to make this trip AND have $$ for the car rental and spending money you'll need on the trip.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,151,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I had the same thought. Regardless, whoever this poster is needs to seriously get his act together before embarking on this trip. He claims he is only 18 years old. He is afraid to go to JFK Airport. He doesn't comprehend the high cost of staying in 4* hotels, let alone ANY decent, safe hotel in NYC. And he is thinking of traveling to NYC in February, the coldest, snowy month of the year. (Why do you think the airfares are so cheap?)

May I suggest you get some less ambitious travel experience first? Ever been to London, Paris, Rome, Athens? Ever gone alone? Way different experience than traveling with Mummy and Dad.
OP - keep in mind, NYC, although fairly mild in winter by NE US standards, has snow/winter weather FAR worse than anything you've seen in Northern Ireland. Some winters get very little snow, others...the huge storms you hear about on the news every few years.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 AM

7,741 posts, read 16,215,119 times
The problem with the car rental idea is that most reputable car hire agencies charge a huge premium for under-25 drivers, even if we're talking cheapest possible subcompacts.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,331,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
OP - keep in mind, NYC, although fairly mild in winter by NE US standards, has snow/winter weather FAR worse than anything you've seen in Northern Ireland. Some winters get very little snow, others...the huge storms you hear about on the news every few years.
It's variable enough most of the time it wouldn't be that far from what he's used to. And much sunnier, too.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 AM

I'll just keep saving then. Think it might end up that me and my mum just end up going to nyc for several days which is fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel